• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sound Blaster Audigy Troubles

Cleric_PGHL

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 4, 2004
Messages
144
Alright I just got a Sound Blaster Audigy (I needed a sub $50 sound card for my LAN Party box) and for the first week or so it worked fine. Now it seems that when I am listening to music, whenever I use the keyboard the sound starts to skip. I have tried both WinAmp and Windows Media Player and they both do the same thing. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Sound Drivers are up to date.
Video Drivers are up to date.
 
Cleric_PGHL said:
Alright I just got a Sound Blaster Audigy (I needed a sub $50 sound card for my LAN Party box) and for the first week or so it worked fine. Now it seems that when I am listening to music, whenever I use the keyboard the sound starts to skip. I have tried both WinAmp and Windows Media Player and they both do the same thing. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Sound Drivers are up to date.
Video Drivers are up to date.

Its a problem with Audigy hardware. I had similiar problems on the system in my signature which I tried to fix for months and I never could . I decided to suck it up and use onboard sound and that works perfectly fine for me.

But it could be a few other things:
- make sure all of your connections are properly fitted (no dust, all the way plugged in etc)
- try using a different PCI slot
- make sure your PSU is a quality one
 
The crackling from Winamp (esp. 5.xx) is due easily remedied by selecting the proper hardware profile. In Winamp's profile, it is not selected by default, so you must do this.

I don't use WMPx for anything, but watching divx movie and I haven't noticed beep,burp,fart, etc from that.
 
Yeah, I'll try a different PCI Slot. I am pretty sure the power supply is good, it's a Thermaltake 550watt. The weird thing is, sometimes it works fine and other times it lags.

Using is onboard sound isn't an option :(
 
Oh, ok I'll try the hardware profile in WinAMP 5. Too bad I'm at work until 4PM, I really want to get this fixed so I can go to a LAN Party tomorrow. (Even if it's still doing this I'll go to the LAN Party anyway :D )
 
audigy.jpg
 
Consider looking at IRQs. I know that I used to have serious problems with sound skipping and other BS until I was able to force 5 devices off of the same IRQ. And yes I did have open IRQs. Gotta love MS for that. They take perfectly good technology and F it up beyond comprehension. Alas, moving PCI slots is about the only way to force a different IRQ on most MoBos. So basically I didn't have anything to add, just clarification on why moving slots may help.
 
I am pretty sure my motherboard has an option to set different IRQs to PCI Ports. Is this something that would be on modern motherboards, I just got this one recently and I haven't really played around with the BIOS much yet.
 
I had the same problem and the skipping only occured when typing.

Are you using a ps/2 keyboard? if you can, try a usb one. A thread on the old boards suggested it was a latency problem since ps/2 slots are arcaic (sp?) are bandwidth hogs. Use this solution if changing the PCI latency doesn't help. It worked for me. I had to get a USB hub though, since I've got too much stuff plugged in via usb now.
 
You can change it using powerstrip, even the free version is fine.
I don't remember exactly what you do, but you select your audy device (use these arrows next to the device properties to scroll), and uncheck a box to allow manual latency settings, and then you want to increase the latency I think to 64 or higher. These were all in old forums and I don't remember exactly. :( Tweak to see what works best for you.

If you can though, try switching your keyboard if it's using ps/2 right now. no sense in adding another program to the box if you don't have to.
 
Just using bugmenot to give a possible answer.
I was having the same problem for some reason. Checked Winamp and it was fixed by going into the output options, and selecting the audigy as output (instead of use default) so I could check use Hardware Accel. This fixed it for me. I don't know if that's what the reference to hardware profile in winamp was earlier.
 
Back
Top