SOS!

Lollipop

Bad Mofo
The wife, and my buddy’s wife, have made us promise (I hate that they always remember every little thing we say) to take them on vacation to Hawaii when I get my legs back in a month or so. I got a kid who's going to take care of things while we're away, but here’s the deal, the neighbor kid, doesn’t want money. His seriously strict parents always make him save most of what he makes working around the area. So he proposed I by him a PC as barter for watching my house, taking care of the animals and mowing. He’s 17 so he’ll only be watching from outside the house. I agreed and thought it was a brilliant idea. His mother and father want him to be an athlete, which I was too at his age, but I say let the kid be who he be. They don't indulge his inner Tech-GAWD. As it stands, he uses my wife’s hand-me-down laptop in my yard to surf the web on the Wi-Fi. I have a friend taking care of the wireless connection to his house while I’m gone and he already has something to receive the signal for the PC, all I need is the box and what goes in it. Everything else we can scrounged together from old stuff.

I don’t have any preferences as far as brands. I am not as knowledgeable on these subjects as you geniuses are so I’m counting on your wisdom. Thanks guys!
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Loves Gaming, web, homework, music, he’s a teen-fapping mostly!
2) What is your budget? $500+shipping
3) Where do I live? TX
4) What do I need? Case, cpu, hdd, vga, ram, mobo, psu?
5) No old stuff in the case
6) Overclocking? That’s up to him. He is smart like you guys.
7) Monitor? 2 yo 19” widescreen?
8) Build time? Next month or so. Depends on when TEAM Hadji( what he calls himself) turns me loose!
9) Features of mobo? No raid, no dual cards
10) OS? Yes, have old vista HP 32 bit

your link is private red star...other can't see the goodies.

EDIT: Triple replies FTL

I know its possible to get what you need, it just depends on where you look. If you have about 10 minutes, get on newegg and just search for what looks right. Thats the only advice I can give...hope it helps.

Something to get you started...

$80 - Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43
$73 - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775
$40 - G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-800 F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
$55 - WD Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA300
$95 - MSI R4830-T2D512 Radeon HD 4830 512MB ($15 MIR)
$95 - Antec NSK6580B Super Mid Tower Case w/ Earthwatts 430W PSU
=========
$440 + tax and shipping - any MIRs

EDIT: lol... didn't notice I had two RAM sets in there. :p

^ What he said, though I would instead opt for an E5200 in order to save a bit of $.

Changes I would Make

MotherboardGIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L - $79.99

RamG.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 - $32.99

DVD BurnerPioneer Black 20X DVD+/- R/rw DL - $22.99

Correct me if i'm wrong but 4 gb of ram with a 32 bit os and a video card with 512 mb would not only be a waste but could stand to pose problems with a solid OC. Which is why i traded down to the faster 2x1 GB kit since he said the kid might want to play with OCing.

Total in cart @ newegg = $505.92 + shipping

Lollipop, did you need an optical drive? If so, the Pioneer bigwooly listed is good.

... Correct me if i'm wrong but 4 gb of ram with a 32 bit os and a video card with 512 mb would not only be a waste but could stand to pose problems with a solid OC. Which is why i traded down to the faster 2x1 GB kit since he said the kid might want to play with OCing.

Total in cart @ newegg = $505.92 + shipping

3.5GB is still more than 2GB... 75% more, to be exact. Whether its a waste or not is up to you, but IMO, its not.

$41 for 4GB, makes it $10.25/GB. Since you can't use all 4GB, this gets adjusted to
$41 for 3.5GB, making it $11.71/GB... still better than the 2GB kit you listed...
$33 for 2GB, makes it $16.50/GB. Granted, I would have recommended the A-Data kit for
$27 for 2GB, making it $13.50/GB... if the OP really needed to save $14. ;)

No, a 4GB 2x2GB kit does not use any more power than a 2x1GB kit, since each module still only uses 1.8v. More RAM would only hinder OC if increasing the number of physical sticks. For example, a 4x1GB kit would pose problems, since all 4 DIMMs need to be powered, adding more stress on the MCH.

Thanks

which thread is that quote from a few posts up i know i've read it once before but..... my brain is not fully focused on this right now.

lol it's in a different thread all togther the one about memory speed in relation to FSB and why you should only use 1:1 with an intel overclock.

WTF? You have a dirty mind. I'm talking about homework......

I'm with engi's build (that's 2 sets of ram to pick from.. not both).

Case is your choice, but I would go for an Antec 300. Frys had a bunch of them together to demo, and the CM felt much flimsier and cheaper (cheap plastic too) than the 300. Definitely wasn't a fan of the plastic HD clips. Add a Corsair 400CX from PC_User's list and done.

WTF? You have a dirty mind. I'm talking about homework......

I'm with engi's build (that's 2 sets of ram to pick from.. not both).

Case is your choice, but I would go for an Antec 300. Frys had a bunch of them together to demo, and the CM felt much flimsier and cheaper (cheap plastic too) than the 300. Definitely wasn't a fan of the plastic HD clips. Add a Corsair 400CX from PC_User's list and done.

Me? Dirty mind? ........................Wife says "nothing new"! Life not much fun with a clean one! :D

Thanks for advise. Noted.

Back