Sort Files in Linux

magda

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm testing Linux Mint and one thing that annoys me, is that when I open the file explorer and click on sort files by type, it sort files different from Windows.
All the "documents" are sorted together (pdf, doc, etc) e.g.:

aaa.pdf
ttt.doc
bbb.pdf
rrr.doc

Instead of Windows version, like:

aaa.pdf
bbb.pdf
ttt.doc
rrr.doc

Is there a way to change it for the latter?

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Depending on which file manager you are using, it may support "group by type" (and also "folders first"). That's what you're looking for.

Reactions: magda
like this

travm

Gawd
I'm testing Linux Mint and one thing that annoys me, is that when I open the file explorer and click on sort files by type, it sort files different from Windows.
All the "documents" are sorted together (pdf, doc, etc) e.g.:

aaa.pdf
ttt.doc
bbb.pdf
rrr.doc

Instead of Windows version, like:

aaa.pdf
bbb.pdf
ttt.doc
rrr.doc

Is there a way to change it for the latter?
It's Linux, there are 300 different bug infested ways to do everything.

But I'm looking at what you wrote and I think I'm missing something. How is that sorted by anything?
I use Linux Mint on my Chrome book and it's file manager just works, and I regularly sort folders.

FSCDiablo

Limp Gawd
Which file explorer are you using? Dolphin in KDE works as you are expecting.

Reactions: magda
like this

magda

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm using NEMO. I've solved the problem via preferences and adding sorting by "MIME type".

Why linux has to be so complicated?

FSCDiablo

Limp Gawd
I don’t agree with the difficult assessment about this necessarily. Having options just means learning to use them. Dolphin and others work like you expect by default. Ive never used NEMO so can’t explain why they went that way.

travm

Gawd
I don’t agree with the difficult assessment about this necessarily. Having options just means learning to use them. Dolphin and others work like you expect by default. Ive never used NEMO so can’t explain why they went that way.
I'm on my chromebook now, can confirm it sorts exactly like windows would. The buttons and options are in different places. I'm still not sure what OP thought his problem was.

Lunar

Limp Gawd
I'm using NEMO. I've solved the problem via preferences and adding sorting by "MIME type".

Why linux has to be so complicated?
Complicated or just different from what you're used to? Most users new to Linux, myself included when I first started using it, succumb to the "tyranny of the default" (Credit goes to Steve Gibson for coining this term). Windows or MacOS do it a way, and anything that does it different is wrong. No, it's just doing it in a different way than the user is used to. The nice thing Linux brings to the table is the ability to change most things you don't like. Don't like how the default file manager handles things? Use a different one or adapt to how the file manager works. Now that I use Linux as my daily driver, any time I use Windows I get annoyed by File Explorer's lack of tabs.

Last edited:
Reactions: travm
like this