Sorry...Kind of a noob question...

AdamLewis

n00b
Im looking to get some more RAM for my PC and have such a noob question, I couldnt even find anything when trying to search for it. If its already been asked, Im sorry...but...

Right now I have 2x256 of noname PC3200 DDR in dual channel. Im looking at just getting 2x512 of Corsair PC3200 DDR to add to my system.

So the noob question is, does it matter at all that they are different sizes? I dont care about eeking every single bit of performance out of the machine but it could definitely use some more RAM for what I do with it. I just want to make sure that if I buy this RAM, itll work alongside with the RAM I already have.

Thanks

it kinda depends on the motherboard you have now. some will take 4 sticks in a stride.. others might not.

which corsair sticks are you looking at btw?

hmm, it should work fine with 4x512mb, but i don't know how picky dell's bioses are, you might have to ensure that all 4 sticks are basically identical.. making 2x1gb a safter bet.

just for kicks, can you tell be what's written on the chips that are in the rig currently?

Without opening up the case right now ( because Im lazy and sick right now ) cpu-z says its made by Nanya?..

Also, I dont know if I made it clear, but it would have been 2x256 thats already there and then 2x512 that I wanted to buy.

I guess in the end I should just got fo the 2x1GB? The more I think about it, the better that sounds to me anyways.

Thanks for the help.

Back