Sophos UTM vs Untangle in current terms?

iroc409

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been running Untangle on the same box for probably over 5 years now. It looks like Untangle isn't going to update itself to version 10, so I might have to do it myself. It's a good excuse to put in faster NICs that I don't really need, anyway.

I've read bits and pieces of Sophos (Astaro) UTM, and some people say its a better system than Untangle as far as networking and reporting. I believe the free version also has a lot more features than Untangle has, where you have to pay something like $50/month to get all the basic features in Untangle.

Does anyone have any recent experience comparing the current version of Sophos to Untangle v10?

I really, really like the adblock feature in Untangle, and didn't read much on it for Sophos. Will it do that?

Sophos (Astaro) literally has blown Untangle out of the water in terms of usability for home firewalls, I have been running my Sophos for almost 4 years now and it is rock solid in my VM.

I have used Untangle back when it was version 6 or so and just looking at the package comparison chart, it is sad how little they give away for free.

Sophos can do adblocking, it is under Web Protection -> Web Filtering -> URL Filtering.
I created my own category under the next tab over, URL Filtering Categories and select what items you want blocked and select that category under the URL Filtering.

Don't really see much in terms of ads unless they are displayed in a picture, still trying to figure out how to get those out. But I have 5 networks running in Astaro with a Site-2-Site VPN to my office and I can use a VPN to dial in from my Android phone, iPad and laptop.

Thanks, it sounds like I need to give it a go. Maybe I can do a test install on my laptop first to try it out.

Back