Sooo close to temporary audio nirvana... cans?

killernoodle

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 4, 2002
Messages
2,634
So I'm sooo close to finishing my millett hybrid. I originally bought all the parts and made a mistake and bought the wrong volume pot. Well, I finally ordered a new one (after months of it sitting here collecting dust) and a TREAD power supply just for kicks.

I'm thinking of some AD700s to replace these Senn. 457s. I already had to replace the cable and I don't think they're good enough to be plugged into the likes of the millett :cool Is this a wise choice in phones for a tube amp? Also, would it would be a good idea to build a small DAC (like an alien or something) and put it in the box too or do you think the setup should sound fine with a chaintech 710's analog out?

I'm such a headphone noob.
 
I probably wouldnt go with one of the AT options if you have the amp. While great cans, I found they improved very little with a millet (this was on my ATH-A900s). My alessandro MS-1s on the other hand loved having the millet. The tube portion of the millet seems to easy some of the piercing highs that I've heard is so common with grados and made the MS-1s much more comfortable to listen to in the long term.

I'd also suggest stepping up the Senn line. Perhaps some HD580/600/650s?
 
Get a 580 for a little more than the 700. I would also consider an AKG 501 if you want some really nice midrange and detail. Probably the safe bet is a 580 in that price range though. They are super comfy, open and do most music right. Plus, you can mod them and recable them easy for different flavors.
 
I would seriously consider you check into and purchase an Audio Technica ATH W1000 or W5000 if you can afford it.

They are a headphone dream come true.
 
OMG, just got the millett and tread dialed in, set the bias on the tubes and all that crap... THIS THING FUCKING ROCKS!!!

I cant wait to try it on some good headphones, it already sounds great, I wonder what its like with some good cans. Still deciding on them though.
 
Oooh, the AKG 601 is sooo sexy. I think I'm in love. Apparently it sounds pretty good modified too and I can travel with them if I build a portable headphone amp.
 
Back
Top