Sony x800d

Riptide_NVN

2[H]4U
Picked up a 43" tonight with a geeksquad protection plan. Gave up after 3 49ks8000.

Impressed with the black levels on this. Surprisingly not much of a step back over the samsung in that area. Rtings led me to believe it would be more noticeable.

And of course. This display has a dead pixel right where I like my browser window to be. Left 1/3 of the screen.

What the hell is up with quality control now? This is my 4th TV and its going back.

Let me know in more detail how it compares with the Samsung. I'm stuck between the Samsung 43ks7500/49ks8500 (same TV despite what the number implies, just different sizes) and the Sony X800D. The Samsung's win out in every department, but I'm not sure if I'd want to spend so much on a TV right now. There's a good $400+ price difference between the two. I might have gone with the Samsung if it supported 120Hz input, but it doesn't. The Sony has 120Hz input but has a 60Hz display (lol). It's also not curved.

IDK. It's really the fact that both have shortcomings that keeps me away from the Samsung. I'd rather save $400 is I'm not going to get what I want in either case.

You are super unlucky. I have only had one dead pixel in my life and it was on a Dell XPS ~12 years ago.

Black levels are a little better on the KS8000. Its close. The colors looked more saturated on it too but the x800 isn't fully tweaked yet. I just got it and duped the rtings settings.

Do dead pixels ever go away? The display only has about 3 hours on it.

Been a disaster for me. I should've stuck with my old 1080p 40". Zero problems. 4k has just been a huge pita.

You can try rubbing the dead pixel out (turn off the screen first), but it only works sometimes and it's more for stuck than dead pixels.

From makeuseof.com:
  1. Turn off your monitor.
  2. Get yourself a damp cloth, so that you won’t scratch the screen.
  3. Apply pressure to the area where the stuck pixel is. Try not to put pressure anywhere else, as this may trigger the creation of more stuck pixels.
  4. While applying pressure, turn on your computer and screen.
  5. Remove pressure and the stuck pixel should be gone

Correction three dead pixels. Two in the upper left corner which are no big deal. And then the one that is in a problem area.

After four TV sets I wonder how long it will be before BB forces a refund and cuts me loose.

You sir have the shittiest luck I have seen in a while when it comes to issues with monitors/TV's. Damn. :(

Three photos attached. Two dead pixels and another what looks like a hair inside the screen. I have no idea how it is even possible to get another one that has something like that going on with it.

Could humidity cause damage like that? I've been having issues with that and getting some condensation around the base of my windows inside the house lately.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    489.6 KB · Views: 118
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 145
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 142
Let me know in more detail how it compares with the Samsung. I'm stuck between the Samsung 43ks7500/49ks8500 (same TV despite what the number implies, just different sizes) and the Sony X800D. The Samsung's win out in every department, but I'm not sure if I'd want to spend so much on a TV right now. There's a good $400+ price difference between the two. I might have gone with the Samsung if it supported 120Hz input, but it doesn't. The Sony has 120Hz input but has a 60Hz display (lol). It's also not curved.

IDK. It's really the fact that both have shortcomings that keeps me away from the Samsung. I'd rather save $400 is I'm not going to get what I want in either case.
agreed, this 43ks7500 was what i wanted, because it was UHD Premium, curved, and had the latest samsung tech for reflection filtering.

two major strikes against it at that price (£750):
1. it doesn't autdetect/autoconfigure HDR content the way the x800d does. settings are fixed to the hdmi port.
2. it has a 120Hz panel, but only a 60Hz input/controller. real shame.

Picked up a 43" tonight with a geeksquad protection plan. Gave up after 3 49ks8000.

Impressed with the black levels on this. Surprisingly not much of a step back over the samsung in that area. Rtings led me to believe it would be more noticeable.

And of course. This display has a dead pixel right where I like my browser window to be. Left 1/3 of the screen.

What the hell is up with quality control now? This is my 4th TV and its going back.
1000:1 vs 6800:1 ratio is not much difference in real world because even that 6800:1 contrast ratio is really patheticly low. JS8000's contrast ratio is exaggerated by high level of pointless brightness.

1000:1 vs 6800:1 ratio is not much difference in real world because even that 6800:1 contrast ratio is really patheticly low. JS8000's contrast ratio is exaggerated by high level of pointless brightness.
Isn't high brightness needed for true HDR?

Nonsense. Not the fact that 6800:1 is not low (it is, there is always room for improvement up to infinity) but that there would not be any difference between 1000 and 5000+ contrast ratios. Dim the lights a bit in your room to give your eyes more range on detecting contrast differences and the 1000:1 will look hopelessly flat and dull compared to the higher contrast ratio display. In bright room there is not much difference because your eyes are fixed on bright range only. Even OLED will look more or less the same with 1000:1 IPS in those conditions.

Also the brightness has no meaningful effect on contrast ratio, as you turn the backlight up and down the black depth and white intenisty also go up and down together, keeping their ratio pretty much the same, few ten digits difference at most.

Could any of this be my fault? Are my expectations too high for having a display without these problems?

Should I be thinking about giving up on BB and trying a set from Costco at this point? Or just going back to 1080p?

Could any of this be my fault? Are my expectations too high for having a display without these problems?

Should I be thinking about giving up on BB and trying a set from Costco at this point? Or just going back to 1080p?

Foreign objects under the AG coating are always manufacturing error and a valid reason to have the TV exchanged. Dead pixels at the center of the screen are too. But if there is a one or two dead or stuck pixels at the edges on a 4K screen where the pixels are so ridiculously small anyway, you may be too picky. Move the TV away from you a bit and you may be unable to see them at all even if you tried.

Looking at the pictures you took, the hair and dead pixel are obvious but what am I supposed to see in the image2?

Sorry image2 is a lot harder to see the imperfection. There are two dead pixels there but for whatever reason they aren't as apparent as the first one both to the eye and the camera. Possibly a blown subpixel in the case of those two. They are far enough out I don't care much. The first one that is darker and easier to spot is another story though sadly.

One minor complaint about the X800D in general. I don't like the semi gloss and would prefer a glossy screen like the KS8000. For desktop PC use anyway I think that is preferable especially with a screen this large.

Sorry image2 is a lot harder to see the imperfection. There are two dead pixels there but for whatever reason they aren't as apparent as the first one both to the eye and the camera. Possibly a blown subpixel in the case of those two. They are far enough out I don't care much. The first one that is darker and easier to spot is another story though sadly.

One minor complaint about the X800D in general. I don't like the semi gloss and would prefer a glossy screen like the KS8000. For desktop PC use anyway I think that is preferable especially with a screen this large.

Yeah I cant see a damn thing in image2. Dead pixel would mean that the whole pixel is completely lifeless and show up as black square. Dead or stuck subpixel is much harder to detect, atleast against white. Against some other color, red, green or blue, might help to identify what subpixel is dead. But since you have the foreign object in the screen the whole thing is moot since you are, probably, going to change the TV. Again. :D

EDIT:

Better photo of the other two pixels.

The lower right one is probably dust under the AG coating since it is opaque judging from the picture. Again a foreign matter where it should not be. About the top left, that could be dead subpixel. Try watching how the pixel looks like against red green and blue. If one of the subpixels is dead the pixel will look fine except with the color that is dead. Lagom has full sized pictures of those colors in their viewing angle page.

Looks like BB may be out of these 43X800D. So if that is the case - it will be a refund. I may be totally screwed over. I can't find an X800D in stock anywhere else where I live right now. None of the other makes/models are an option for one reason or another.

Either I'm stuck going back to 1080p, going mail order, or I can head over to Costco and start from scratch there. But they don't have Sony - so it would need to be another Samsung gamble.

So much for my holiday. Pass the tylenol and the booze please. lol

I would gamble with the Samsung again at Costco. Finding a good one is worth it, this is a damn good TV, best without getting into FALD or OLED models.

And if all else fails, booze is always a good choice.(y)

MaZa sir unfortunately Costco locally doesn't have any KS8000 series in 49". I'd be stuck with a 55". Even if it fits in my available physical space - that is flat gigantic for a computer display 3' in front of me.

Choices are limited under 50" to the KU series. :/

The booze is coming out now FYI. lol

Reactions: MaZa
like this
O man. With your luck, might as well bring a laptop and unbox and inspect the screen right at the store to save you all the hassle of boxing and returning. GL.

O man. With your luck, might as well bring a laptop and unbox and inspect the screen right at the store to save you all the hassle of boxing and returning. GL.

I was thinking the same thing. Find a B&M with what he wants in stock and open it then and there.

agreed, this 43ks7500 was what i wanted, because it was UHD Premium, curved, and had the latest samsung tech for reflection filtering.

two major strikes against it at that price (£750):
1. it doesn't autdetect/autoconfigure HDR content the way the x800d does. settings are fixed to the hdmi port.
2. it has a 120Hz panel, but only a 60Hz input/controller. real shame.
Finallly, someone gets it! It's not that the price is too high or that the screen sucks. It's that the price is too higher for something with these shortcomings. I'm literally waiting to see if the X800D's price goes back down. The moment it does, I'm buying.

Dude, you're cursed!!!

I wouldn't sweat the dead pixels that much. It's fairly common for screens to have 1 or 2 dead/stuck pixels. I have one basically dead center on my Samsung and it's imperceptible unless I look for it (and even hard to find looking, without opening a paint program).

The hair thing would bother me, though, I agree. Not sure how you could have so many lemon all in a row. Some bad luck right there.

Finallly, someone gets it! It's not that the price is too high or that the screen sucks. It's that the price is too higher for something with these shortcomings. I'm literally waiting to see if the X800D's price goes back down. The moment it does, I'm buying.

Mind you, x800d is a 60hz panel. It does accept 120hz in but it does nothing for the framerate, maybe reduce input lag a bit at best.

Best Buy hasn't banned me yet. I was able to exchange the set last night for the last one they have in the store. If this one doesn't work out I'm getting a refund and going over to Costco.

The new one looks OK so far. This time I'm trying a different approach and am looping it on a 4K demo I have for 24 hours minimum before I shut it off. It is questionable whether this type of "burn in" is needed on a device like this. But I don't see how it is going to hurt. The last one didn't have the dead pixels right out of the box - they showed up after a few hours of initial run time. Could be wrong about that but it is how I experienced the situation.

This set like the last one has black levels that aren't to my eye a significant step down from the KS8000. In this regard I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised - and glad to have stuck with VA. I miss the glossy screen though on the KS8000. Duplicating the rtings settings on this set so far look fairly good. I think there may be some room for tweaking yet to further improve it.

Testing continues.

Mind you, x800d is a 60hz panel. It does accept 120hz in but it does nothing for the framerate, maybe reduce input lag a bit at best.
I'm well aware. If it had those features, it would be a no-brainer over the Samsung. If Sony's 2017 version has a 120Hz screen and is curved, I'll probably sell the X800D and buy the newer one.

Minor whine. The X800D has the inputs for HDMI 3/4 on the side furthest away from my PC. The HDMI cable I have which was an overpriced monster cable (let's not go there k?) is not long enough to reach without stretching a bit. It isn't a huge deal and I don't think its tight enough to stress the connectors at either end. But it would be nice if I had either an extra foot or if the display had the ports somewhere else. Don't wanna re-orient the PC to the other side of the desk.

Had the x800d. While I liked it a lot, had to return because I decided to wait it out for 2017 and hopefully some true HDR panels (1000+ nits) in the 40-43" display range. Great display though, wish I had an extra room

Had the x800d. While I liked it a lot, had to return because I decided to wait it out for 2017 and hopefully some true HDR panels (1000+ nits) in the 40-43" display range. Great display though, wish I had an extra room
I too am considering just waiting it out. There's nothing truly "perfect" (or close, since you'll never get something exactly like you want) out there at the momment, which makes me question spending considerable cash on a screen. Only problem is that I'm running a 24" 1080p TN from 2009... I need something or the other for the next year.

Speaking of "perfect". This second one isn't either. After having this experience I am thinking finding a 100% blemish free display is maybe not possible from a practical standpoint. 10+ exchanges might get me there. This is #5 we're going on here now. lol

Hard to tell even with the jewelers loop. Shows up on all colors so is either dead pixel or contaminant in the panel from the factory. Cleaning, jscreenfix, etc. doesn't solve it.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    355.3 KB · Views: 135
Contaminant. Ignore it, especially if its in the edges. Its barely one pixel big (or tiny, since this is 4k) and opaque, it should be invisible from normal viewing distances. Well, as normal as viewing a huge ass 43" on a desk can be. :p

Yeah, that looks like nothing. I would just ignore it. Especially at 4K, you can barely even see a single dead/stuck pixel without looking for it. Just be happy you got an almost perfect set.

Agree at this point it's not worth messing with another exchange over it. The display is still new so it may even go away with some more run time. Hopefully nothing else pops up.

Hello guys!
Have anyone noticed that when used as PC monitor with an Nvidia 900 (980ti) series (not sure about the latest cards), there is a problem with color if you set the Nvidia Control Panel to Full Output Dynamic Range instead of Limited.
Basically, I was editing some photos that have a color gradient background and was noticing horrible banding on the background. So I started playing and changed from Full to Limited and the issue goes away!
What is the TV doing differently that creates this issue???

Hello guys!
Have anyone noticed that when used as PC monitor with an Nvidia 900 (980ti) series (not sure about the latest cards), there is a problem with color if you set the Nvidia Control Panel to Full Output Dynamic Range instead of Limited.
Basically, I was editing some photos that have a color gradient background and was noticing horrible banding on the background. So I started playing and changed from Full to Limited and the issue goes away!
What is the TV doing differently that creates this issue???

Is it connect to HDMI 2 or 3 with enhanced color on in the settings?

Back