Sony Vegas Pro 11 - GPU Transcoding finally! Wow!

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
So has anyone else tried Sony Vegas Pro 11? I'm a long time Vegas user and was excited when version 11 came out but I haven't had time to try it until now.

Lots of changes apparent from version 10, but the most impressive is that they'e FINALLY added support for GPU assisted transcoding and WOW what a difference it makes:

Using the MainConcept AVC/MP4 codec, encoding a 4m45s 720p HD video w/ full quality 32-bit rendering at 5 - 8mbit rate went from 7 minutes and 21 seconds using the CPU only (2500k) to a blazing fast 4 minutes and 14 seconds using my GTX560 (non Ti).

It basically went from almost 1/2 realtime to almost 2x realtime with the addition of CUDA.

<EDIT>

I guess it was too good to be true... after several different comparison encodes I am seeing serious quality issues with the GPU assisted encoding. DAMN. I was so excited about this too....

</EDIT>

I'm curious to see if anyone else has tried it out and had the same results. I am loving this!

Last edited:
I believe it also works on AMD graphics hardware! So win win all round. Nice the performance gain is so large too!

How does Vegas compare to Final Cut Pro and Apple"s suite of video editing products?

How does Vegas compare to Final Cut Pro and Apple"s suite of video editing products?

I've never used Final Cut Pro... I haven't been an Apple guy since the late 1990's. I would wager to say that FCP is way better though since that is what Apple has always been great at.

One of these days I'm going to do a Hackintosh build just to try their stuff. :D

Back