Sony Trinitron CPD-G400 Dying...I think...?

K2Rage101

[H]ard|Gawd
As per the title, I have a 19" Sony Trinitron CPD-G400. Over the past 12 months, the screen has gotten brighter and brighter, and I've been lowering the brightness lower and lower. Now the brightness is bottomed out (about 6 mo ago) and the black desktop of WinXP looks blue. (I'll try to post a pic). I was planning on opening it up this weekend to hunt for the dial that MOST people turn UP when their monitor is 7 yrs old like mine. Of course, I plan to turn it DOWN.

Now just this morning, I'm looking at the "black" screen and I see these funny slightly brighter horizontal lines across the screen. The slope down slightly, appearing to originate from somewhere in the upper-right region. Never seen them before, barely noticable without getting close.

Tried power cycling and degaussing. I just posted here to see if anyone has seen this before, or has any advice regarding my plan to turn down the brightness internally (other than the newb "keep a hand in your pocket" and "watch out for voltage" blah blah I know all that.) or any other tips or causes for this new phenomenon. Thanks.

I have those lines on my G500. I first saw them about 4 months ago. Then around 2 weeks ago, my monitor started buzzing occasionally. It buzzs almost always when it is turned on, then stops a minute or two later, and maybe buzzs again an hour or more later - usually for only a minute or two.

My guess is that my monitor is dying (its 4 years old, used every day). I tried image restoration - no luck.

Perhaps someone has another idea?

My G400 had the same problems after three years of use. I ended up dumping it last month and replaced with a 17" LCD.

Well, I guess I should feel lucky then that I am getting more years of use out of it than most did. I'm already shopping for a 17" LCD, but I can't find a decent one for under $450 that has 16ms and a DVI input. The Viewsonic 171b fits the bill, but it's topping $550 right now...

I still am going to try to open the monitor up Friday and try to fix it.

I just got a Nec 1760nx for $432 from dell after a double coupon. end on the 26th. The LCD looks great. I did a ghosting test and it lags behind 2-3 pixels. Which is nothing considering it's 1280x1024 and has a dot pitch of .26. It's not even noticiable during games. I've only played Q3 so far.

I got two of the VP171S for 499$ each after rebate. I am sure the 100$ rebate is still going on untill the end of the month.

Originally posted by RickyRoma
I got two of the VP171S for 499$ each after rebate. I am sure the 100$ rebate is still going on untill the end of the month.
where? me wants =)

Back