Sony Testing A 'Stripped Back' Version Of Android

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Jul 22, 2015.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

If Sony wants a version of Android that looks and feels like the stock Google interface, why not just install Lollipop and call it good?

Sony is launching a 500-person Swedish trial of Concept for Android, a "stripped back" take on Android 5.1 for the Xperia Z3 that looks and feels like the stock Google interface while including Sony's more popular apps and features.

2. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

As a now iphone user, i really do miss stock android on my nexus. That was and is still a good experience IMO. Sure was a snappy UI without all the extra bloat.

3. Domingo

Domingo [H]ard as it Gets

I wish more vendors would install the stock version of Android. There's no reason you can install that AND include your own apps, too.

4. Quix

Quix 2[H]4U

That screen shot seems to contradict the headline entirely. The navigation buttons on the bottom are totally custom, as are the icons in the top right (and there are a billion of them), the web browser shown also isn't Chrome.

5. /usr/sbin

/usr/sbin Successfully Trolled by Megalith

Love my nexus 5. Bloatware can gtfo. I actually think stock android 5.x is better than iOS.

6. Bigdady92

Bigdady92 [H]ardness Supreme

Ahh sony, why do things the easy way when you can fumblefuck your way through going down the difficult path.

7. DarkSyd

DarkSyd n00b

Looks more like making 5.x look like 4.4, which is just fine in my books. Love 4.4 on my Z3c, hate 5.1 on my Nexus.

8. bloodhawke83

bloodhawke83 I Strike Fear into the Hearts of the Masses

9. pxc

pxc [H]ard as it Gets

Good thing Android is designed in a modular way to allow exactly this! lol what's the point of the article?

10. Semantics

Semantics 2[H]4U

[​IMG]

11. Hazard

Hazard Limp Gawd

It's probably whatever picture of the Z3 they had on hand.

My Z1 is on Lollipop and has the stock navigation buttons though.

12. dagas

dagas Gawd

After using Nexus 4 and 5 I had only used vanilla android since I had iPhone before that. However I recently got my first non-Nexus Android phone. A Galaxy S6. It is not as bad as I geared. I still prefer vanilla Android but Samsungs version is close enough. It still feels like the same OS with just a different skin.

13. bosfordjd

bosfordjd n00b

Well honestly, ever iteration of android seems to make it more of a pita to do simple things, so stock android is not that great an experience. I definitely don't want a stupid google search bar on the home screen. And nothing was better than the news and weather app/widget of gingerbread. And being forced into the gmail interface, when the previous email interface was soo much cleaner and less "bubbly" for lack of a better term.

using 5.1 on my temporary moto E and I prefer both gingerbread and ICS that was on my Droid4 a 1000x more.

14. ICOM

ICOM 2[H]4U

Yes!!!!! Yes yes yes!!! GFD!!!!! Yes!!!

:cool:

Why can't we do this? :confused::confused::confused:

15. ICOM

ICOM 2[H]4U

Because of the bloat we must "purchase". You knew this...

16. DarkSyd

DarkSyd n00b

I get the impression the 'bloat' posters don't actually own a Sony device. The stock rom is fast, usable, and I regularly get 4 days without having to charge.

You can whine about 'bloat' all you want. The phone comes with some Sony apps. If you don't like them, don't use them. They sure as heck don't impact negatively on how the phones runs, and many (Stamina mode etc) improve Android tremendously.

17. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

So they want to strip android to fit more Sony bloatware. Sounds enticing. NOT!

18. ryuen

ryuen Limp Gawd

Having owned several Sony phones I can honestly say I don't mind some 'bloatware' (which I just deactivate anyway) if it gets me stamina mode, bravia engine and walkman apps.

19. deton8

deton8 Limp Gawd

People blindly hating on Sony here. Their bloatware is relatively inobtrusive as far as those things go, and some of the apps are actually useful.

I still don't really see the purpose of this exercise though.

20. Same here, got a new company phone, only option (for IT reasons) was iPhone 6, I still don't like the GUI and over all there are many things that hang often and have to restart it every week to every few days. My Nexus on the other hand was only ever restarted on the odd times I forgot to charge it and it died. Also using other peoples phones, I could not get use to all the bloat floating around everywhere. The stock ROM is great and only missing a few things, which I would rather have to find a few things in the app store than have to spend hours trying to remove bloat or even having to go so far as flashing a new ROM to get rid of uninstallable apps/bloat.

21. mope54

mope54 [H]ardness Supreme

If you really have to reboot your iPhone every week or every few days you should take it to an Apple store and exchange it because something is obviously wrong with the hardware, lol

22. It is my 2rd one, I just hand it to the IT guy and he has a new one over nighted, I don't mess with anything. I don't HAVE to reboot, but if I don't, it wont see the work WiFi, or tethering to my gauge will not work, or iCloud will not upload photos etc etc. The iPad I have also has the iCloud issue, but none of the others, thinking maybe that one has to do with the iCloud service maybe. Longest I have had it on was 2-3 weeks, after which some apps would become pretty laggy, but only in spikes.

23. DeadSkull

DeadSkull [H]ardness Supreme

My Xperia Z3 came with barely any Sony apps. I had amazing battery life as well with 4.4 Android up until the recent upgrade to 5.0 which turned my once 2 day battery life phone into 1.1 days.

24. Hazard

Hazard Limp Gawd

I've been using my Xperia Z1 since launch and like yours, it had little bloat, just a few Sony apps like their own album and Walkman apps.

I have noticed that Lollipop has slowed it down a bit and battery isn't as good though I still get a day's worth.

25. DeadSkull

DeadSkull [H]ardness Supreme

I had the Z1S ( Tmobile Z1 version) prior to Z3 and it was a great phone. Whatever google did with Lollipop it messed up my Z3 far more then any Sony bloatware could. Battery life has taken a major beating. Maybe it's the GoogleNow app which is constantly reloading news stories, current location, weather and etc.

My sound volume has went down tremendously...with or without earbuds. I googled around and lots of other Lollipop updaters, not exclusive to Z3 owners are reporting same issue.

26. Hazard

Hazard Limp Gawd

Really too bad that a new version of Android can mess up such great phones. Maybe I should just go back to 4.4 or something.

27. BryanSTG

BryanSTG Gawd

Agreed.

Google Apps and Google Play services are the bloatware. With the exception of 1 or 2 of them, Google is making Android and the stock apps worse with every update and revision.

Performance issue? Google Apps and Google Play services
    Battery Drain? Google Apps and Google Play services
    Buggy/Poor UI of Stock Apps? Google
    Missing/Broken Features? Google

28. BryanSTG

BryanSTG Gawd

Almost forgot

Abnormally high data usage? Google Apps and Google Play services