Sony set to reveal new Playstation on Feb 20, USA/Japan launch this year

Stereophile

Supreme [H]ardness
Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller and launch by the end of the year in Japan and the US. PlayStation 4’s European launch will follow in early 2014.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

Only 3 weeks away. Although I'm not expecting pricing info until E3.

I'm excited and hopeful at the same time. Just give me true 1080p/60 and I'm in. Hell, I'm probably going to get it no matter what it is (I bought a WiiU after all) but that's what I want.

Damn, bet MS is scrambling right now! LOL, love competition!! In the end we all win!

Can't wait to see what the ps4 has to offer!

Damn, bet MS is scrambling right now!
I'd rather they wait and put out a reliable system... not that I'd necessarily buy it (never bough an xbox) but to save lots of folks some grief they can put some effort into this I hope

If this is accurate then they are doing what I thought and it stinks. We will have a new Xbox here this year bet on it not in early 2014. I don't live in Japan so 2013 will be an Xbox year bet your ass on that. Was hoping for this year for both.

Damn, bet MS is scrambling right now! LOL, love competition!! In the end we all win!

Why would they be scrambling? Everyone knows the consoles are coming out in late 2013 - early 2014. So Sony will reveal their press release first big whoop?

Hopefully we'll get a peek at actual hardware (or at least a mockup) and not just details.

I'm hoping they show some type of gameplay footage but I highly doubt it :(

Can't wait! Will be buying both day 1. I have barely any gamer points due to me never really jumping on the Xbox bandwagon. Still prefer PS exclusives.

Honestly I doubt they are. Sony always seems to put its own feet right into its mouth with big announcements by doing some kind of boneheaded thing.

I think MS is more concerned with squaring away its details for launch then what Sony is doing.

Regardless I'm very curious what kind of system Sony will be launching and if they are finally going to ditch proprietary CPU designs and go for something more off the shelf to save money and make developing games on the PS4 easier. Its no secret that PS3 game development is a total fucking bitch that 3rd party developers haven't been happy with.

I'm sure MS will continue to make development a smooth experience for 3rd party developers.

Why would they be scrambling? Everyone knows the consoles are coming out in late 2013 - early 2014. So Sony will reveal their press release first big whoop?
Everyone knew? Shit that is news to me, we were hoping it would be released within this year, now with Sony coming out first and after reading most of the tech news & rumors that the ps4 will be a more powerful system I totally think it matters. Press release a more powerful system with more 3rd party support? Who would care about the less powerful system with less 3rd party?

Hopefully it doesn't end up like the ZL1/GT500 , where GM kept hyping up the ZL1 to no end and later on Ford releases the '13 GT500 and steals its thunder.

Looking forward to the announcement, but I swear I just read a quote from Sony last week that claimed they were set on letting MS make the first move.

Whatever they announce on February 20th, I'm sure we'll know nothing more about the actual hardware. They're going to give a tentative release date for the new system and then keep us speculating on hardware specs OR they're going to at least announce a hardware partnership.

I'm excited and hopeful at the same time. Just give me true 1080p/60 and I'm in. Hell, I'm probably going to get it no matter what it is (I bought a WiiU after all) but that's what I want.
Developers have said the new generation of consoles are targeting 30 FPS. Remember that the PS4 is supposed to have 4k output support (I'm sure limited to the UI and simple PSN type games). Plus you consider that they are going to also have 3d functionality. They have to target 30 FPS to get all that in, leaving any possible 60 FPS content for 3d (30 per player or eye).

I was worried they were going to delay till late 2014. Sony hopefully is learning from their mistakes with the ps3 (a mediocre and stagnant generation overall for me).

Developers have said the new generation of consoles are targeting 30 FPS. Remember that the PS4 is supposed to have 4k output support (I'm sure limited to the UI and simple PSN type games). Plus you consider that they are going to also have 3d functionality. They have to target 30 FPS to get all that in, leaving any possible 60 FPS content for 3d (30 per player or eye).

I'm hoping it actually works like games do now. Call of Duty runs at 60FPS normally, but drops to 30 if you're using it in 3D.
While gaming might be the one area it shines, 3D has been a bit of a bust. I wouldn't be shocked it it wasn't that much of a focus this time around.

It would be great if Naughty Dog showed up at the conference with a demo.....

of Uncharted 4:cool:

I'd shit my pants. Hard. I'd buy the system JUST for that. Then keep it until the next Uncharted, by which time I'll have no use for the console anymore, hah.

I may have to grab another damn PS3 too (unless the PS4 will have backwards compatibility (don't follow up on it, will it? rumors)? for Beyond Souls, Last of Us, and damn Watchdogs. Ughhhh, yet ANOTHER console for just a few games.

Glad I held off buying a PS3. If rumors pan out about it being the most powerful hardware this time around and being sick of XBL fees, PS4 is a pre-order for sure.

I can't wait for the new abbreviations for console errors (YLOD, RRoD, etc.) for this gen.

Back