Sony Sells Off All Square Enix Shares

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Sony is slimming down recently and the reduction is showing on the bottom line. Sony has sold off almost 10 Million shares of Square Enix, ending its business interest with the video game developer.

Sony will record a $48 million gain in its fiscal report thanks to the deal. The PlayStation manufacturer did not specify a reason for the sale.

1. They need cash.
2. Owning the shares wasn't doing that much for them business wise since Square Enix hasn't been focusing on Playstation devices like they did back in the PS2 days.

It's mostly about reason 1 I'm sure.

they need money to hire those idiot expensive lawyers who just copy and paste lawsuits all over the place.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb!
If they should do ANYTHING its buy enough shares to be a majority holder, then mandate a PS3/ PS4 only policy.
Sony ruled the market when Final Fantasy was an exclusive.

Final Fantasy is no where near what it used to be. That ship has sailed. They do release some interesting titles. Murdered looks good.

Smart move.
SE is a shadow of the PS1/2 heydays. All they do now is make shitty mobile phone games. Their management is completely retarded. This video singles them out and describes them exactly(and other companies):
AN INDUSTRY OF PITIFUL COWARDS (Jimquisition)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOi5aDQKrYc

If Nintendo was smart they should buy Square-Enix and make them 2nd party & PC only.

Yeah, Nintendo should spend billions of dollars on one of the biggest publishers in the industry and restrict them to a platform neither company historically cares about, neglecting the purchaser's own hardware in the process.

Wait, what?

Dumb dumb dumb dumb!
If they should do ANYTHING its buy enough shares to be a majority holder, then mandate a PS3/ PS4 only policy.

Sony already has the best first party lineup of devs on the planet, they dont need Squeenix.

"The PlayStation manufacturer did not specify a reason for the sale."

I'm thinking "Points, laughs, slaps knees". Square-Enix themselves have tripped over many a dick and gotten themselves into trouble, some products of pure globally acknowledged gold out of the Eidos acquisition but holy jumping jesuit there's nothing but mobile moneygrubby products giving them good profit from their Japanese offices.

Also see every other Japanese developer.

(Sony are still helping them with Final Fantasy 15, financing and manpower)

Sony already has the best first party lineup of devs on the planet, they dont need Squeenix.

Since MS is marketing the Xbone as a media center instead of a gaming console a better game lineup is going to be a given.
That being said, Square was the backbone on which the PS2 was built and locked Sony into the #1 slot against the Gamecube and Xbox Original.
Maybe I was wrong for saying dumb, but at one point in time Square made the best damn games in existence. Nostalgia gets you every time.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb!

If they were smart, they would have bought majority stake, demanded an FF7 remake and then wallowed about in the resulting pool of a hojillion moneys.

This is your opinion of Sony having the best first party lineup. I'm going to lean Nintendo on first party titles (my opinion). When it comes down to it, all 3 platform have great 1st party titles. I don't even own a Wii or a Wii-U, but something about Zelda and Mario amongst other titles jump out in my head before, Uncharted, Killzone and Last of Us. I would even say Halo is a bigger title than most Sony titles. Again my opinion. Totally agree with the fact they don't need Squeenix.

Only recent title I've showed interest in from SE was Tomb Raider, and it appears Thief was a bust from most reviews I've read.

If they were smart, they would have bought majority stake, demanded an FF7 remake and then wallowed about in the resulting pool of a hojillion moneys.

They need money, where in that does it say they have extra money to buy a majority stake, if that is even possible. The founders of the company might own a majority and be unwilling to give it up.

Smart move.
SE is a shadow of the PS1/2 heydays. All they do now is make shitty mobile phone games. Their management is completely retarded. T

The issue there is that in the PS1/2 heydays, Square Enix didn't exist, there was a company named Square which made great Final Fantasy type of games, and then there was Enix which made absolutely awesome Dragon Quest type of games.

Final Fantasy is no where near what it used to be. That ship has sailed. They do release some interesting titles. Murdered looks good.

you're not kidding. I tried a couple times to play Final Fantasy 13 on my PS3, both times I quit playing because I was so sick and tired of watching a 10 minute cutscene every time I kill a bad guy. Let me play the damn game already!

Back