Sony screws imports to the UK, Sues Lik-Sang.

LeviathanZERO

Supreme [H]ardness
I cant believe they actually won. This is bullshit, I purchase from Lik-Sang all the time. Good thing I'm not in the UK, but I see this pissing off all ALOT of Europeans looking to import PS3's before March '07.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20489

Lik-Sang has done nothing wrong. Sony is out of line. Here is Lik-Sang's reaction:
http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3900&lsaid=219793

How the fuck are you going to sue the people that make you money? (sell your products?)
Its a REGION FREE device! WTF?!
Sony's legal team are very consistant in keeping their heads up their asses.

Seriously. Sony needs to STFU until the PS3 comes out. They are digging their own grave this way.

Sony has the big bucks and the lawyers and the end result = lawsuit. They want to make money and to prevent ppl from getting them until they are released in that particular region. Totally a waste of time!

i dont see why they care who gets what when.

I live in usa, so it doesnta change anything for me~ just dont know why they care.. at all

Bad_Boy said:
is this really a surprise? they did the same thing with the psp.

They also sued Bleem! out of existence for making PS1 games playable on PC.

Why anyone still supports Sony and their shit electronics and barbaric business practices is something I refuse to understand.

Jason

DragonMasterAlex said:
They also sued Bleem! out of existence for making PS1 games playable on PC.

Why anyone still supports Sony and their shit electronics and barbaric business practices is something I refuse to understand.

Jason

Bleem is different. It helped pull people away for a sony product. Importing in a console really doesn't

swatbat said:
Bleem is different. It helped pull people away for a sony product. Importing in a console really doesn't

I disagree. Bleem recognized copy protection and would only play legitimate games (yes, I own a copy). If it did anything, it created a market for PC gamers who'd never buy a PS console to buy and play PS games on their PC's. The notion that it'd take sales away from Sony is utterly bogus.

DragonMasterAlex said:
I disagree. Bleem recognized copy protection and would only play legitimate games (yes, I own a copy). If it did anything, it created a market for PC gamers who'd never buy a PS console to buy and play PS games on their PC's. The notion that it'd take sales away from Sony is utterly bogus.
umm...then it gave a reason not to buy PS consoles, you said it yourself.

Bad_Boy said:
umm...then it gave a reason not to buy PS consoles, you said it yourself.

And why does a company sell consoles? To sell games. Where do they make the money? On the games, not the consoles. Therefore, Sony wasn't harmed--AT ALL--by Bleem. They're simply a bunch of arrogant, chest-beating jackasses who, when they see something they don't like, they sue, sue, sue them out of existence. Bleem won every single court case Sony brought against them, but in the end they couldn't afford to keep fighting.

It's worth noting, though, that what I said was that Bleem gave a reason to PC gamers who would otherwise *never have bought* a PS game console, to buy PS games. You can't argue that people who'd never buy a console to begin with are potential PS customers, they aren't.

DragonMasterAlex said:
And why does a company sell consoles? To sell games. Where do they make the money? On the games, not the consoles. Therefore, Sony wasn't harmed--AT ALL--by Bleem. They're simply a bunch of arrogant, chest-beating jackasses who, when they see something they don't like, they sue, sue, sue them out of existence. Bleem won every single court case Sony brought against them, but in the end they couldn't afford to keep fighting.

It's worth noting, though, that what I said was that Bleem gave a reason to PC gamers who would otherwise *never have bought* a PS game console, to buy PS games. You can't argue that people who'd never buy a console to begin with are potential PS customers, they aren't.

They make money on those consoles. They make more money on the games, but that is besides the point.

I would hardly call a corporation a "bunch of arrogant, chest-beating jackasses" for trying to defend their property. Bleem didn't make the PS, nor do they have any claim to the system. They are just leeches; they deserve to go out of business.

PikachuMan said:
They make money on those consoles. They make more money on the games, but that is besides the point.

I would hardly call a corporation a "bunch of arrogant, chest-beating jackasses" for trying to defend their property. Bleem didn't make the PS, nor do they have any claim to the system. They are just leeches; they deserve to go out of business.

They weren't leeches in any way, shape or form. They built a COMPATIBLE product--which is 100% legal--and brought it to market.

If there's any company in this discussion who deserves to go under, it's Sony. Luckily they're working on that all by themselves :D.

DragonMasterAlex said:
And why does a company sell consoles? To sell games. Where do they make the money? On the games, not the consoles.
you do know that consoles become profitable later in their lifecycle, right?

Bad_Boy said:
you do know that consoles become profitable later in their lifecycle, right?
Not always. It depends on how much price pressure their competitors can put on them. Lets say Sony manage to get $100 off the price of the PS3 manufacturing... well that's not going to do them any good if they have to reduce the price of the PS3 by $100 to match Nintendo and Microsoft's price cuts.

Psychotext said:
Not always. It depends on how much price pressure their competitors can put on them. Lets say Sony manage to get $100 off the price of the PS3 manufacturing... well that's not going to do them any good if they have to reduce the price of the PS3 by $100 to match Nintendo and Microsoft's price cuts.
Pretty much every console made has become profitable (even at small amounts of profit, the bigger picture is important when selling millions of consoles) at one point in it's cycle is what I'm trying to say. Cell/RSX/Blu-ray prices for Sony will come down dramatically over the years.

Anyways, to be on topic, I'm not all that surprised by the news, same thing happened with the psp.

Note* im not supporting the idea, im just not surprised by it.

I'm sure they have a reason as to why they want to prevent the sale of these in Europe. Perhaps they are afraid of the PS3 starting fires when used with low quality transformers.

dotK said:
Perhaps they are afraid of the PS3 starting fires when used with low quality transformers.
Yeah, Sony get real pissed when anyone takes the fire starting monopoly away from their batteries...

back on topic....

There are different electrical and safety regulations for electronic devices across the world. Importing one into a region that it wasnt specifically designed for could possibly introduce liability for Sony. Given their current battery difficulties and the ~80 billion yen writeoff they just took, you'd think it's a prudent move for any company.

But, it is good to see the flame-whoring phanny girls are out in action.

There is one single reason for them doing this.

MONEY!.

Sony makes a MUCH bigger profit of stuff sold in europe. We get a huge mark up on prices in the UK.

Admittedly the PS3 wont be sold for profit, but they will lose a lot less per PS3 when it goes on sale here.

Anyway, there are a lot more places to get an import PS3 than Lik-Sang, cheaper too.

Thing is though, since Lik-Sang are re-sellers, Sony have already got their money for each PS3. So its totally up to Lik-Sans who they sell it to.

Skirrow said:
There is one single reason for them doing this.

MONEY!.

Sony makes a MUCH bigger profit of stuff sold in europe. We get a huge mark up on prices in the UK.

Admittedly the PS3 wont be sold for profit, but they will lose a lot less per PS3 when it goes on sale here.

Anyway, there are a lot more places to get an import PS3 than Lik-Sang, cheaper too.

Thing is though, since Lik-Sang are re-sellers, Sony have already got their money for each PS3. So its totally up to Lik-Sans who they sell it to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3

Looks like the PS3 in Europe will cost about $60 more than it costs in America. That will hardly give them significantly lower losses per console sale.

I thought the European prices were typically higher because of their taxing. Don't they have ridiculously high taxes in the EU?

mastercheeze said:
back on topic....

There are different electrical and safety regulations for electronic devices across the world. Importing one into a region that it wasnt specifically designed for could possibly introduce liability for Sony. Given their current battery difficulties and the ~80 billion yen writeoff they just took, you'd think it's a prudent move for any company.

But, it is good to see the flame-whoring phanny girls are out in action.

All PSP AC Adapter's are rated at 100V - 240V, 50/60Hz, works worldwide.

Liability is non issue.

Stereophile said:
Actually that's not quite right. They are generally a little higher because of taxation, but usually companies add even more on top of that. Not just Sony but pretty much everything. That's why in the UK we're pretty much used to paying GBP = USD prices for new gear.

taxes are greatly varied all over europe.. the UK often gets a bum deal beyond taxation though..

will sony sue ebay? i guess they cant , but i see lik-sang starting to sell their product on ebay just to see

arr4ws said:
will sony sue ebay? i guess they cant , but i see lik-sang starting to sell their product on ebay just to see

I actually think that would be a good way to both screw Sony, and also use the money they make to pay their legal fees. I don't use Ebay, but can't you limit your auction to being bid on by people in certain regions?

Back