• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Sony Reader PRS-500

JohnSearle

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 23, 2006
Messages
228
I was wondering if anyone has tried out the Sony Reader PRS-500, or even a similar EBook reader. I have a PDA, but I'm interested in getting something that is designed more for reading texts. Anyone willing to give their opinion?

- John
 
I played with one at Fry's, and it's pretty damn cool. The black screen when you turn the page is slightly annoying at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly.
 
Just bought my dad one and we can't install it because its setup executable will only allow itself to be installed on XP. 2000 doesn't work, which is sort of ridiculous.

[ed. solution]
Here's how to get it working with Windows operating systems other than XP:


Sony Reader PRS-500 Driver and Client Installation
The Sony Reader is easily the best PDA for reading books provided by the Gutenberg Project and the likes. However, Sony idiotically released the software installation CD with a version check that prevents it from installing on anything but Windows XP, despite the fact that, obviously, it’ll work on any 2000 and post 2000 OS.

To bypass this, you’ll need the Orca tool. Install the Windows Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK Web Install from Microsoft’s website. In the installation options, only the Installation Tools need to be chosen to be installed. After installing the SDK, Run C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Bin\Orca.msi to install Orca 3.

Once installed, you can browse the Sony software CD and copy all of it to a temporary directory on your hard drive. Working on the temp directory, rick click on CONNECT Reader by Sony.msi, choose properties, and uncheck Read-Only. After exiting that dialog, right click on the file again, and choose Edit with Orca. Find the LaunchCondition table on the left side of the window, right click on it and drop it. Save the edited MSI and exit Orca. Your installation will now work perfectly.

It should be noted that this technique can be used on many other installers that use MSI files.
 
I asked about it a few weeks ago and nobody responded at all. I don't think people in this forum are big recreational, non-interactive readers.

In my post, I pointed out a couple of the problems that stop me from buying one.
 
So how many got one for Christmas and wish to give a post Christmas appraisal? :)

- John
 
Thank you for the tip using Orca to deactivate the operation system check within the CONNECT Reader by Sony.msi app. It worked. However, after having passed this point I am getting a "Failed load check PRSUBS.dll" error. Do you know anything about this?
 
I have played with them a lot at different stores. They seem really nice. I really like the fact that the screen will not make your eyes hurt after extended viewing. Text is really easy to read. I like the navagation. Like the bookmark feature. The product is great. This is just from playing in the store. Only wish it is was less expensive.
 
$350!?!?! My god, I could get a fully loaded iPAQ or Axim with gobs of RAM and load up thousands of eBooks for that kind of price... and have WiFi Internet access and hundreds of other capabilities too.

I understand why some people would love one of these (I'm one of them) but good lord... that price is just an instant turn off for so many reasons. Ouch...
 
I don't think it's that bad at all. That $350 could also buy you a ton of used paperbacks, but much like the iPaq, it's not in the same class.
 
Back
Top