Sony Playstation-Brand 24inch 3D Monitor

Labze

n00b
Just watching E3 as this was announced, seems interesting. Includes the new feature that allow two people to watch their own image on same screen. Don't think any specs are released yet on it though.

Any thoughts on this?

Will be available for 499$ including the monitor, glasses, HDMI cable and a copy of Resistance

201106061438-1307407535.jpg

source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/06/sony-introduces-playstation-branded-3d-monitor-and-3d-glasses/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fengadget+(Engadget)

Last edited:
Seeing that reveal made me wonder about other 3D-capable monitors. I don't need the built-in speakers on the Sony, and their size would make it inconvenient in a multi-monitor setup.

24" is a bit two small for me. if this was 30-32" I'd pick it up.

I thought this would be cool up until I realized it said 24 inch. LOL

Speakers bleh, unless the performance is something amazingfuly ridiculous, this will fail.

Sony has issued a press release with full specs: it's a 1080p edge LED lit LCD with two HDMI inputs, stereo speakers, an integrated subwoofer and claims to be the first display at this size with "quad speed frame sequential display technology". The glasses charge via USB and will be available at the same time as the screen this fall.

Display
Screen size: 23.5 inch
Panel type: VA
Optimal Resolution 1920 x 1080
Colors About 16.7 Million
Viewing Angle 176 degrees/176 degrees (Contrast over 10:1)
Color Gamut(CIE1931) 72%
Contrast Ratio 5000:1
Response time 4ms (GTG)*
Backlight Type Edge type, white LED

I like the idea with what they're doing. I sorta wanna see how it acts as a computer monitor.

- only supports frame-packed 720p 3d
- native res is 1080p which looks worse than 720p for ps3 gaming use
- mini-subwoofer and mini-speakers

fail

Proprietary monitors with proprietary 3d is NEVER a good idea. This is going to sell like the Sega CD add-on for Genesis.

Xbox on the other hand demoed some amazing FPS uses with the Kinect. The ghost recon voice command stuff was very cool. I think Microsoft is doing a great job preparing people for their next console. It will definitely include kinect v2.0 out of the box and software developers love kinect already.

All that being said I see PC gaming continue to pick up steam (Pun intended). The nerds are getting older and lord knows we don't have girlfriends so PC upgrades are easily affordable.

Battlefield 3 looks mind blowing. The latest E3 tank battles made me shit myself! Modern warfare is for console gamers.

This will sell well for people who want 3D TVs but can't afford the big screen price tag. Should be good for college dorms/apartments or people with very limited space.

blah blah blah

Most of what you said has nothing to do with the monitor. The Microsoft E3 press conference was terrible. A lot of people don't care for kinect.

Proprietary monitors with proprietary 3d is NEVER a good idea. This is going to sell like the Sega CD add-on for Genesis.

Xbox on the other hand demoed some amazing FPS uses with the Kinect. The ghost recon voice command stuff was very cool. I think Microsoft is doing a great job preparing people for their next console. It will definitely include kinect v2.0 out of the box and software developers love kinect already.

All that being said I see PC gaming continue to pick up steam (Pun intended). The nerds are getting older and lord knows we don't have girlfriends so PC upgrades are easily affordable.

Battlefield 3 looks mind blowing. The latest E3 tank battles made me shit myself! Modern warfare is for console gamers.

What does a PS3 monitor on a "Displays" forum have to do with Xbox? Stop being a fanboy.

Integrated speakers with 90% of flat displays are terrible. On a 24" likely to be doubly terrible.

Integrated speakers with 90% of flat displays are terrible. On a 24" likely to be doubly terrible.

I would normally agree, but this is not meant as a PC monitor and has a specific purpose to fill. Most people by and large do not have auxillary speakers for their televisions.

I would normally agree, but this is not meant as a PC monitor and has a specific purpose to fill. Most people by and large do not have auxillary speakers for their televisions.

My personal experiance installing satellite television in homes over the last few years would have to disagree with that statement. Just about anybody with a flat screen tv and middle class income seems to be getting some form of surround sound...though this is anecdotal as I dont keep statistics about the homes I visit.

One could only hope this was 120hz true, with 120hz scanning backlight.

Back