Sony PlayStation 24" 1080p 3D LCD Monitor $180 at Best Buy

this seems pretty good, But I wonder if this is just a 3D tv, and not a monitor. I would be interested if it was just as good as a monitor.

A 240Hz monitor at that price has to have had some corners cut.

it debuted over a year ago at like $500

According to reviews, they give very good image quality---for the size (although these are reviews done by TV oriented sites. I'm sure this thing would be great for PC gaming, but maybe not reading text and other normal computer work). But they are reflective like a mirror and have some firmware issues that sometimes mean they don't turn on when you want them to.

I think its a pretty swell deal.

I've heard every few good things about this monitor. A lot of people seem to report problems. I wouldn't want to risk it personally.

Hit up the monitor thread for some good info on this monitor. It's not all positive, but it will give you an idea. Long story short, if you like jumping through hoops, buy it for use as a 3D PC monitor.

Not all the specs are entirely upfront. I believe it switches to 720p for 3D things.

I'm waiting for it to hit 100 so I can buy two for use at work

I picked one up to use as a monitor when the price dropped to $200. After a few months of use, I've learned a few things:

It is VERY reflective. After time your eyes learn to mostly ignore it, but if you have windows anywhere near this thing, you're gonna have a ton of glare. Probably one of the most reflective screens I've seen.

It's 2d image isn't quite 1:1. As it is actually a TV, they do some video processing that compromises it's 2d image quality. Looks like aliasing/scaling errors on sharp things, like text.

It is fully capable of 1080p 3D, both in games and blu-ray. Many of the specifications indicate 720p 3d, but that's because it was intended to be used with a ps3 that limits it's 3d output to 720p.

I had no problems with blu ray 3d on both nvidia/amd gpus. However, when it comes to gaming, I couldn't ever get it to work on Nvidia. Nvidia uses software called 3DTV play. You can either purchase the software, or if you have a 3D vision receiver (I do) it unlocks this feature automatically. However, it only works with displays Nvidia has certified, but this is not one of them. I have tried several methods of monitor inf driver replacement, but could never get it working (I was able to successfully hack the drivers into outputting in dlp 3d, and interlaced 3d, but never the correct mode for lcd 3d). If you want to game with nvidia, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

Alternatively, using the monitor's sbs mode works well with youtube 3d videos without any driver support.

Also, its advertised speakers with "subwoofer" are worthless, in case that wasn't obvious. Plan on using other speakers with it.

Finally, lots of people have reported quality control issues. If you pull the trigger, I strongly encourage buying a service plan for $20. That way when it totally dies, Best Buy will have to replace with another 3d tv, likely an upgrade, cause these won't be around much longer. Mine has one stuck pixel, which isn't cause for replacement, but it occasionally turns off for a couple seconds. Not too annoying yet, but it's only a matter of time.

All that said, if you can deal with it's issues, it's a great deal for a 1080p 3d display with active glasses.

Picked one up tonight to replace my son's dead 26inch tv. When I brought it home, the box that looked new, but may have been carefully opened and returned was missing the 3d glasses. I went back to the store and they gave me a pair without hassles. The 2 year warranty is only 19.99 and the 4 is only another 10 bucks. Based on the reviews I opted for the 4 year. There is no remote in the box, but an old sony dvd remote I had laying around worked perfect. Also, I dont know what kind of panel it is, but I doubt it's a TN because the TV sits up high on the dresser and when looking at it at an angle lying on the bed, the colors dont seem to shift as they did with the old insignia.

Picked one up tonight to replace my son's dead 26inch tv. When I brought it home, the box that looked new, but may have been carefully opened and returned was missing the 3d glasses. I went back to the store and they gave me a pair without hassles. The 2 year warranty is only 19.99 and the 4 is only another 10 bucks. Based on the reviews I opted for the 4 year. There is no remote in the box, but an old sony dvd remote I had laying around worked perfect. Also, I dont know what kind of panel it is, but I doubt it's a TN because the TV sits up high on the dresser and when looking at it at an angle lying on the bed, the colors dont seem to shift as they did with the old insignia.

I would guess its some sort of VA panel. Sony usually puts 'em in their smaller LCDs. The thing was originally $500. If they tried to sell these with TN panels at that price, it would have been bad for Sony and the Playstation brand. The power/turn off issue is bad enough. $20 warranty though is a pretty safe bet.

also seems like 3d is for 720 in this so if you want to play at 1080 you cant use 3d

3D is working in 1080p for me. First 3D TV so I'm not sure if I can use it on any games. Anyone have any incite into that?

I've read the 3d in 1080p on it is only 24hz.

It also doesn't accept anything above 60hz input for those of you who thought it was a 'normal' 3d monitor.

Remember, this this was designed specifically for a 6 year old console.

I picked one up to use as a monitor when the price dropped to $200. After a few months of use, I've learned a few things:

It is VERY reflective. After time your eyes learn to mostly ignore it, but if you have windows anywhere near this thing, you're gonna have a ton of glare. Probably one of the most reflective screens I've seen.

It's 2d image isn't quite 1:1. As it is actually a TV, they do some video processing that compromises it's 2d image quality. Looks like aliasing/scaling errors on sharp things, like text.

It is fully capable of 1080p 3D, both in games and blu-ray. Many of the specifications indicate 720p 3d, but that's because it was intended to be used with a ps3 that limits it's 3d output to 720p.

I had no problems with blu ray 3d on both nvidia/amd gpus. However, when it comes to gaming, I couldn't ever get it to work on Nvidia. Nvidia uses software called 3DTV play. You can either purchase the software, or if you have a 3D vision receiver (I do) it unlocks this feature automatically. However, it only works with displays Nvidia has certified, but this is not one of them. I have tried several methods of monitor inf driver replacement, but could never get it working (I was able to successfully hack the drivers into outputting in dlp 3d, and interlaced 3d, but never the correct mode for lcd 3d). If you want to game with nvidia, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

Alternatively, using the monitor's sbs mode works well with youtube 3d videos without any driver support.

Also, its advertised speakers with "subwoofer" are worthless, in case that wasn't obvious. Plan on using other speakers with it.

Finally, lots of people have reported quality control issues. If you pull the trigger, I strongly encourage buying a service plan for $20. That way when it totally dies, Best Buy will have to replace with another 3d tv, likely an upgrade, cause these won't be around much longer. Mine has one stuck pixel, which isn't cause for replacement, but it occasionally turns off for a couple seconds. Not too annoying yet, but it's only a matter of time.

All that said, if you can deal with it's issues, it's a great deal for a 1080p 3d display with active glasses.

Wow I wasn't aware of the Nvidia certified monitor issue. So I guess playing on a large screen 3D TV is a hit or miss deal?

its the best looking monitor ive ever seen when used on a 670 gtx card.

when i used it on a 570gtx card it looked washed out and i thought it looked bad.

same pc same monitor only difference was graphics card...

3d is broken on nvidia. some stuff works other stuff doesnt.

i took it to a lan party and it was the best looking display there.

no vesa mounting :(

DEFINATELY worth 160$

If you can try and get this price matched at bestbuy to kmart. They have it for $149. I bought it at $199, granted I used a lot of credit and I was refunded my $50 when I told them of the price.

They said their policy was not to call anymore as it holds up the customer service line, since kmart doesn't have it listed in an ad or online it'll take some work possibly to get it price matched. kmart also has the 3d glasses for $20.

Says unavailable at every best buy near me. Though Ive expieranced that being wrong before. Going to call around tomorrow, and if anyone has one, will probably pick it up.

Went to a near by BB last week, and all the ones in 20 miles were out.
As of tonight, just about all the ones near me had 1-2 in, they just got them. My Kmart still had one left on clearance, and had the guy at the CS counter at best buy call to get a price match.
$190 final price with 5 year warranty and tax.

Last edited:
this seems pretty good, But I wonder if this is just a 3D tv, and not a monitor. I would be interested if it was just as good as a monitor.

Goku LIVES!!!!!!

These are pretty sweet with being able to use the glasses and not have to use split screen.

also seems like 3d is for 720 in this so if you want to play at 1080 you cant use 3d

You can but it'll be at 24hz, maybe 30 on an AMD card.

I probably would have bit at $160 just to try it out but at $180 with tax I might have to pass. I would like to try out tri-def though.

You can but it'll be at 24hz, maybe 30 on an AMD card.

I probably would have bit at $160 just to try it out but at $180 with tax I might have to pass. I would like to try out tri-def though.

You can get them to do $150 if you call around to local K-Marts and they have one.

The screen is actually way better then I expected. With lagom, the gamma is very good, as is black and white levels. Colors are pretty darn accurate too. Some slight bleeding is there with the backlight turned up, and viewing angles arent the best, but its still 10x better then I expected.

Just picked this up for my son and its really a nice 3D monitor for the PS3 and 360 consoles. I can tell you one thing after one day with it the glare on the screen is really bad. Can beat it for about $159 with my coupon.

The random "blackouts" of the screen is a sign that it's a defective one, simply call up sony and have them send you a box to send it in for repairs. Mine quit after a month, sent it back, been on it over 2 months so far with no recurring issues. Great monitor, picked mine up for $200 in a sale at Bestbuy

Back