Sony: No PlayStation 3 announcement at CES 2006

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
San Mateo (California) - A spokesperson for Sony's PlayStation division denied to TG Daily this morning that the company would be making a PlayStation 3 related announcement at CES 2006.

"Although we are participating in many CES activities with Sony," said the spokesperson, "we have no new announcements on PlayStation 3 planned at this time." Sony Corporation has planned special announcements on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning, which had been presumed by many in the press and elsewhere to pertain to PS3.

Link

I think nearly everyone is (was) waiting for a big splash of exciting news about the PS3 at CES06. If nothing ? Wow .... Sony must be having some problems with development. Thoughts ?

haha... yes they must be having some real issues. This is not good news for SONY at all. If SONY does not show or announce anything related to the PS3 at the CES I truly think they might have said to many lies that they are unable to back up this time.

Tetrahedron said:
haha... yes they must be having some real issues. This is not good news for SONY at all. If SONY does not show or announce anything related to the PS3 at the CES I truly think they might have said to many lies that they are unable to back up this time.

Or it could be they prefer to wait for E3, and saturate a more dedicated market.

i hope it comes sooner than it appears it will, i'm not buying the xbox, and i need my fill of next-gen gaming. as much as i hate sony, they got me over a barrel, they produce the gran turismo series :(

dualdrop[H]enia

Well it said the announcements won't pertain to PS3, but they might talk about software or something else not directly about the hardware. Either way, they might still not be at a spot where they are ready to talk about the system 100%, or they could be pulling a Nintendo. They could be keeping quiet to build excitement and stopped all their bullshitting

My bet is that they want to make a big splash, at a huge show, and thats E3. When is that show anyway?

Well if I remember right Nintendo said they want to do a 'hard launch' right after introducing the Rev at E3. Its possible that Sony might be wanting to do the same thing.

Look at it this way.. Sony has been saying they're shooting for a Spring release in Japan. One would assume thats after E3 right ? Well CES is in a few weeks, and the general public still knows nothing about the PS3. One would think that an annoucement at CES would be mandatory unless Sony plans for a hard launch which is a very sketchy thing to try to pull off. Its like building Zero hype around the console... showing up at E3, saying 'BAM!', then putting it on the shelves and crossing your fingers.

I doubt Sony is going for a hard launch. Which makes me think the PS3 will not be launching in Spring 06 in Japan nor anywhere. Combined with *cough* rumors floating around about how they're having problems with fine tuning their hardware I'm beginning to think all of Sony's big hype is going to come crashing down. As a gamer, that would suck ... but at the same time, I think it would very deserving and comical to publically watch Sony put its own foot in its mouth.

All we can do is speculate and wait and see. But the fact of the matter is ... if they don't show at CES, thats not good. I simply cannot see Sony shooting for a hard launch whatsoever.

theNoid said:
... but at the same time, I think it would very deserving and comical to publically watch Sony put its own foot in its mouth.

That seems to be about the only thing Sony can do correctly in anything these days. *cough* rootkit *cough*

Ahh, the Microsoft fans gang up on Sony. This article, theNoid, once again jumps the gun a bit. They could still very well talk about the PS3, and perhaps even show it. I'll be watching the show carefully for any PS3 news, that's for sure. Though I will admit, I still have a bit of a bad taste from shoddy PS2s and rootkits, I still want to see what Sony has up their BS-soaked sleeves. I am still interested in their next system.

kumquat said:
Dumbass. It's Tom's Hardware Guide's news site.

Easy with the flames. Had I not known about Tom's site, I wouldn't have known wtf tgdaily stands for either. Doesn't mean I'm a dumbass.

It's pretty surprising that they won't give up some PS3 info this week, especially considering that this is when the Blu-ray group will be making their launch announcements. But it isn't that CES has ever really been the place for console news. Also isn't there some big Sony event or one that they are participating in, coming up in a couple weeks? They could be waiting for that.

But so far this 'info' has only been dictated to tomshardware so we'll see if it actually holds true.

kumquat said:
Dumbass. It's Tom's Hardware Guide's news site.

thanks for the info kumquat......lol your name speaks for itself

sorry but this isnt valid info. ;)

steviep said:
Ahh, the Microsoft fans gang up on Sony. This article, theNoid, once again jumps the gun a bit. They could still very well talk about the PS3, and perhaps even show it. I'll be watching the show carefully for any PS3 news, that's for sure. Though I will admit, I still have a bit of a bad taste from shoddy PS2s and rootkits, I still want to see what Sony has up their BS-soaked sleeves. I am still interested in their next system.

Well I certainly don't hate Sony, and I don't even own a 360.. my roomate does. I'm just not a big fan of how Sony works as a company. They have a rampant past of false hopes, shortcomings, rootkits, etc.. etc... Every company has its downsides so I cut them some slack... but I wouldn't be lying if I said I would be ear to ear if PS3 just failed miserably.

We all know that won't happen, but I just find it strange they wouldn't make any annoucements of the PS3 at CES. That just isn't a good sign... IMO for what its worth lol.

Hopefully more game announcements @ CES and final hardware dev kits and playable demo's at E3.

But I already know that I'm going to buy one.

Assuming they are silent at this year's E3, is it safe to assume it won't be coming out until at least Christmas time of '06 ?

theNoid said:
I think nearly everyone is (was) waiting for a big splash of exciting news about the PS3 at CES06. If nothing ? Wow .... Sony must be having some problems with development. Thoughts ?

I wasn't waiting for anything from CES, given that it's an American consumer electronics show. I think we'll finally hear everything at the next TGS--but of course, I thought Sony would counter the 360's launch with PS3 information, and I was wrong about that.

It's looking unlikely that Sony's going to keep to their Spring 2006 release date, even in Japan. The absence of the hype machine is disturbing, and gives credibility to the rumors of serious development problems, even if that isn't the reason for the silence.

Time to put my neck on the line again with another oh-so-flame-happy analysis and prediction. The PS3 may very well be having development problems, but given how long it's been in the works, I can't see that being likely. Now, assuming that Sony isn't just giving us some calm before the storm, and that the PS3 really isn't going to make the Spring 2006 launch window (which was probably a Japan-only release date anyway, with Sony marketing touting it as "available in Region 1" thanks to the US and Japan becoming Region 1 for Blu-Ray releases), any PS3 delay is more likely due to the slate of PS2 titles coming ou this year than serious development issues. 2006 is going to be a boon year for the PS2, especially for Square-Enix, and developers may be putting pressure on Sony not to screw up their software releases by having a major hardware launch. The question is whether or not Sony can afford to wait up to and over a year after the 360's launch to introduce their product... and, sadly, they probably can.

I thought Sony has been saying the PS3 is more of a Consumer electronics device. Something Grandma and Grandpa will own as the center of their digital world or what ever nonsense Sony, Apple and Microsoft have been spouting for the past few years.

And they choose to not show it at CES?

Has any console been launched at CES in the recent past? E3 was born when they split the gaming stuff away from CES, so why would the industry go back? If anything it will be a stand alone event like Nintendo has done, Tokyo or E3.

It's a possibility, but I'd peg them both closer to the end of the year. There simply isn't enough software ready for either, especially for Sony's platform, of which there probably won't be enough launch software if they decide to go June/July in Japan as the article says.

Then again, I'm sure Ubisoft knows more than we do, since they have titles in the works for both the Rev and the PS3, and maybe they were told their target. OR... they were told to target September so the games are ready and they don't delay it past launch (Late October, November)?

My guess is it's the blue-ray that's really screwing things up plus the software developement. I think Sony thought the HD video war would of been settled by now. So now they are going to release a product that's supposed to be good for 10 years but is using hardware (blue-ray) that is currently in a battle for standardization. It all seems like a big gamble if you ask me. Why do we need an High def drive in a game machine anyway?

I would rather Sony take their time and work out their problems particularly with the Blu Ray portion of the PS3 than rush to satisfy fan desires to have it out now. I really don't want to have to return my PS3 after a week because a bunch of tards pressured Sony to rush a product out onto the market (like EA does).

I'll probably do what I did with the PS2 and buy a PS3 in 2010 or so.

I think the fact that CES is an American show is a good point. Sony knows which side of the pacific their bread is buttered on. But at this point taking anything they say as true is a tad unrealistic.

Well heres the basic rundown. Yes CES is an American show.. and No there isn't any information out there about the PS3. I think over the past 8 months or so... PS3 fans in particular have been saying .. 'Just wait until CES.. we'll see everything then!' Now it appears nothing will happen ...

So if nothing at CES pops up.. that leaves E3 in May. Now I'm confident Sony will release info at E3, but then what ? Launch in Japan 1 week later ? Thats a hard launch and thats a huge risk. So if they show at E3 but don't launch.. .that leaves TGS in September for another showing. So we have CES, D3 and TGS as opportunities to show the PS3. Because Sony would be fools to not showcase their console at an event. Odds are E3 and TGS will be filled with PS3 news hype.

But.... its 2006 now ... still NO news about the PS3. And now we're hearing that there WON'T be any at CES. How can anyone in their right mind sit there and not think that Sony is having some development problems ? They've got a lot of brand new technology in the PS3 (Cell, Blu Ray etc...), and with new technology comes bugs bugs bugs. The PS3 has rumored to have been in development for years now... but why no news ?

In the end, the PS3 is coming. When ? Nobody knows.. thats the funny thing. Nobody knows. Sony is claiming (and people this is a big stretch) to have a spring launch. Whenever Sony launches it will be in Japan first. I will take several months before the first PS3 hits US shelves. I'm throwing out a guess that the PS3 at the earliest will hit the US at Nov/Dec 2006, but most likely a 2007 launch.

By 2007 the 360 will have been out a year, sold millions... have an extensive game library with games actually pushing the system showing off next gen. The Rev will have probably launched and sold millions, and continue to sell more because of the new aspect of gameplay. I honestly think that Sony will be playing a big game of catch up this time. Sure they have the largest userbase worldwide, but the magic question is ... are all 80 million of them willing to hold out until 2007 for the PS3 which quite honestly isn't offering anything better then the 360 in terms of gaming ?

I think the 360 + the Rev are going to as a team suck the lifeforce (userbase) out from under Sony before the PS3 even launches. I mean say you don't want to wait a year for next gen so you buy a 360 or a Rev, or both. When the PS3 launches (unless you're a die hard Sony fan), why rush out and buy a launch console for the 3rd time ? I think a lot of people will either have a Rev or a 360 and sit the PS3 launch out... ride the hype wave until it settles back out to sea and end up getting their PS3 in about 2 years after a few price drops.

Noid:

I agree that if Sony doesn't get the PS3 out next year they're pretty screwed, but there is a remote chance they're just playing the secrecy game. It wouldn't surpise me if they show at E3 and launch after TGS. Anyway, anybody remember the PS2 shortages? It will be interesting to see if the PS3 plays out the same way, because they do have a lot of new tech in it, but they also have IBM on their side which I'm guessing will be good for Sony in terms of raw Cell production.

steviep said:
You mean at ANY point :)

Honestly I've never paid attention at all until recently. In highschool (1997-01) I wasn't into games so much, and me and all my friends always had Nintendo stuff anyway so there wasn't much exposure to other consoles. I didn't actually play a PS2 until like 03 or something. I actually have played Xbox a hell of a lot more than PS2. So even the Dreamcast launch kinda passed me by because I couldn't afford it and I knew my parents weren't going to buy one (we got an N64 in like 99 or 2000, I didn't get a PS1 until 02 I think). I had always been super far behind in PC and gaming tech until I started making enough money to buy myself this stuff (hell we didn't get a SNES until 95!) This whole "having a current console and waiting for games to come out" (my DS) is a really new and strange experience, sadly.

You make some very valid points Noid, however...

are all 80 million of them willing to hold out until 2007 for the PS3 which quite honestly isn't offering anything better then the 360 in terms of gaming ?

You seem to think the Xbox 360 and the PS3 will have identical game libraries.

There is a world of difference (literaly) between what the Xbox and Sony provided during the last generation of consoles. It is very likely that this will stay the same.

Those people who enjoyed the broad variety of games the PS2 provided will probably be willing to wait (I know I will).

Am I the only one here or is everyone trying to put the nail in the coffin for Sony, when no coffin is even around? Maybe Sony feels they have covered their gaming section enough and now wanna show case their other markets? hmmm? Sounds Reasonable to me.

Poeple saying nintendo was dead a few years ago, are now trying to do it to sony it seems.

Prim3 said:
Am I the only one here or is everyone trying to put the nail in the coffin for Sony, when no coffin is even around? Maybe Sony feels they have covered their gaming section enough and now wanna show case their other markets? hmmm? Sounds Reasonable to me.

Poeple saying nintendo was dead a few years ago, are now trying to do it to sony it seems.

That's true, even if the PS3 bombs like the Dreamcast or N64 it's not like Sony is just going to up and die.

flapbreaker said:
Why do we need an High def drive in a game machine anyway?

Go read about developer grumblings over the 360's DVD9 drive. It's really surprising that Microsoft stuck with DVD9; we already have games in THIS generation that are filling up those gigabytes. Heck, Xenosaga episode I shipped on a dual-layer DVD, and that game is how old?

Blu-Ray is a good thing for the PS3. But I doubt it's the reason why the PS3 looks like it'll be delayed.

Back