Sony Looks to Increase Profit by 2500% by 2018

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
No, that’s not a misprint, Sony is looking to increase its profit by a factor of 25 between now and 2018. To accomplish this feat, Sony plans may include getting completely out of the TV and phone markets, concentrating solely on the commitment to PlayStation and camera sensor businesses.

Sony shares have risen more than 80 percent over the past year as investors applauded the restructuring, which accelerated since Hirai appointed Kenichiro Yoshida as his chief strategy officer in late 2013.

LOLed a this so hard.

Which company has every made good on such an astronomical growth promise.

If this pans out, then damn, MS has got to take play out of the SONY book, as currently Xbox doesnt give too much back in regards to the the investment MS makes on the platform.

Increase Profit by 2500% by 2018 ?

Who do they think they are... Apple?

I really stopped buying Sony products after the whole rootkit debacle, although I did buy some nice Sony headphones because they were the best, IMO, at the price point I was looking at. I honestly think they need a breakthrough in the portable music market though. That was my favorite segment of Sony.

It's hard to imagine Sony ceasing to produce displays.

Don't they normally lose like $1 billion a year. So wouldn't they actually have to be in the black period to be able make more of a profit?

Don't they normally lose like $1 billion a year. So wouldn't they actually have to be in the black period to be able make more of a profit?

Well, it just makes getting to 2500% increase in profit a lot easier if they have no profit at all.

Sony looks to Increase profit... What profit? I thought Sony was in the red.

Dear Sony;

First of all, try actually TURNING A PROFIT before saying something so extremely retarded. The only time you posted a profit in the past 8 - 10 years is when you sold two buildings for $1B each. :(

Take baby steps, that's what you need...baby steps. Well, that and to fire the person saying stupid crap like "Increase profits 2500% by 2018!"

With love,

The Public

Well, it just makes getting to 2500% increase in profit a lot easier if they have no profit at all.

That would be an infinite increase if they actually made it to $1. So I guess you could consider any value between 0 and infinity to work.

Dear Sony;

First of all, try actually TURNING A PROFIT before saying something so extremely retarded. The only time you posted a profit in the past 8 - 10 years is when you sold two buildings for $1B each. :(

Take baby steps, that's what you need...baby steps. Well, that and to fire the person saying stupid crap like "Increase profits 2500% by 2018!"

With love,

The Public

Yup, that person's salary would help them get toward their goal :)

if their profit is currently negative, doesn't that mean that that they want their losses to be 26 times the current amount?

uh, are we talking about increasing by a factor of 25, or that they wanted an increase of 2500%

aren't these two different amounts?

ok, i see the quote in the article, 25-fold is an increase of 2400%.

that should be fixed.

Sony makes some nice stuff, but generally they price their stuff a bit higher than what their competitors do. By doing this, they end up competing above their weight against companies with better products at that price point.

Oh, and all the optional crap you have to buy that doesn't come with product. Stuff that a lot of companies throw in as part of the package.

Sony should have gotten rid of their home and entertainment, mobile and sony pictures divisions LONG ago. All three are just a financial drag on the company and have been for a long time. Samsung kicked their ass in televisions and phones so there's no going back. Now Samsung is facing the same ass kicking from Chinese companies. If Sony wants to survive, they should focus on the niche they're still good at that has good margins and dump everything else. Then that dream of making a profit may be realized.

LOL, they trim down the TV and phone divisions (one of the strongest in Asia) and concentrate solely on the playstation console line of business? Good luck with that 2500%.

Sony makes some nice stuff
Name one thing.

PS4? HAH! Nope.

Phones? A joke!

TVs? Overpriced.

Laptops? Same thing, mediocre uninspired commodity laptops at premium pricing.

Streaming service? Yeah, but no.

Cameras? You can get a superior Canon or Panasonic for the same money, and their GoPro competitor is sad (so bad, you probably don't even know they have one).

Aren't they losing money?

I'm no Einstein, but I know what 25 multiplied by zero is.

cut off the fat, only way to keep profit. some divisions just have 1-3% profit and that hurts the business, then it under minus it hurts overall profit from all the divisions combined.

PS4, no profit in hardware but them do make it up in the games.
Phones, nope
TVs, nope
Laptops, nope profit margin is like 1-5%. i'd sell it off.
Streaming service, maybe but we already have too many services like Netflix. they should just license it out to Netflix, would be 90-100% profit then someone else is doing the work.
Cameras, they're fading here too like the laptops. overpriced and people will take a cannon or nikon over a sony. they should stick to the sensors.

Aren't they losing money?

I'm no Einstein, but I know what 25 multiplied by zero is.

This is their final year of losing money. Many Japanese companies have (had) the bad habit of keeping people hired just to look good on paper even though these people haven't been busy with anything but going to work every day, and then there are the sections that are useless, sections that bleed, sections that just cannot figre shit out.

Good on them for finally getting a boss who knows how to run a shop.

This is their final year of losing money. Many Japanese companies have (had) the bad habit of keeping people hired just to look good on paper even though these people haven't been busy with anything but going to work every day, and then there are the sections that are useless, sections that bleed, sections that just cannot figre shit out.

Good on them for finally getting a boss who knows how to run a shop.

Can they turn the company around and start to make a profit period by the 2018. Sure if they plan things right. However the point we all are making is that right now as a whole they are making 0 profit because they are losing money every year. 0 x 24 is still 0. 0 x 10000000000000000 is still 0. There is no percentage times the current profit (which is 0) that gives you a positive number. They first have to close the gap between their current loses as a company and get to just over $0 and then they can start working on what percentages gives them a higher profit.

The problem with everything now days is that vertical integration is very powerful. Look at apple one single thing the iPod was able to catapult them into every other product they have. Now they are talking about making cars lol? the whole point is once you get people into your ecosystem you can push people into your other products. The point is SONY should be looking to the PS4 which is now the clear winner to break back into phones. Not dump phones and hope they can keep doing well in consoles. Remember consoles are a very finicky market the leader and all the profit changes with almost every generation. The next biggest winner is Samsung, and the reason Samsung is so powerful is because they make so many important components for phones giving them a leg up in price and performance and inside knowledge.

The way sony is not wording this is profitability will require them to sell off and become a much smaller company and on top of that their profitability may very well be short lived lasting only a single console generation.

Name one thing.

PS4? HAH! Nope.

Phones? A joke!

TVs? Overpriced.

Cameras? You can get a superior Canon or Panasonic for the same money, and their GoPro competitor is sad (so bad, you probably don't even know they have one).

Their cameras are very well made - the a7 series is the lightest fullframe mirrorless body you can currently buy. Also, the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 is one of the highest rated lenses ever by DXO.

I have a KDL46XBR9 thats still kicking ass in my mancave, its IQ is every bit the the equal of the 52 inch Sammy I purchased last year.

The Z2 and Z3 phones are both well made, and fast, with great camera sensors. People who acutally own them, love them, and swear by them. Samsung won the phone battle (here) not because of quality, Its because the Sony phones arent readily available for subsidized US pricing. The ones that are, are never advertised - so they sit in the back of the store, with no display, basically the nicest phones that no one has ever played with.

The Z2 and Z3 phones are both well made, and fast, with great camera sensors. People who acutally own them, love them, and swear by them. Samsung won the phone battle (here) not because of quality, Its because the Sony phones arent readily available for subsidized US pricing. The ones that are, are never advertised - so they sit in the back of the store, with no display, basically the nicest phones that no one has ever played with.
^This.

Advantage of the Z3 over the Galaxy S5 or iPhone 6:
-20.7 Megapixel camera with 1/2.3" sensor size (the biggest Android sensor)
-4k video recording (same as Galaxy S5)
-Waterproof
-2 day battery life from huge 3100mAh battery
-Magnetic charging
-PS4 remote play
-Quad Core 2.5GHz Krait CPU
-3GB RAM (same as Galaxy S5)

Unfortunately only Verizon and T-Mobile carry it and it has a locked bootloader. The sheeple only know how to buy Apple or Samsung now.

Name one thing.

PS4? HAH! Nope.

Phones? A joke!

TVs? Overpriced.

Jesus do you have a bone to pick or something?

The PS4 , regardless of your personal feelings on console gaming , is the most powerful console available on the market. The Sony Android phones always review very well but are granted too expensive. I own a 2014 Sony TV and got it for $300 less on a sale during Christmas , it has the best contrast level you can buy along with the lowest input latency for gaming , good luck finding one at that price point that has either of those things. Laptops are something Sony use to do well so I'll give you that one.

Sony's streaming service is pretty widely used but its not superior to other options , nor is Microsoft's Xbox Live streaming services. Sony cameras are actually pretty great in the non-DSLR range as they make some of the best micro compacts on the planet. Their GoPro competitor is sad I'll give you that but who the fuck can compete with GoPro's amazing PR team? They INVENTED the market they are king of. Good luck competing with any marketed item like that.

Sony makes good shit. I've been buying Sony TV's since I was 12 (seriously bought my first TV with snow shoveling/paper boy money) and haven't once regretted a purchase of theirs. I was given my first Walkman (they invented that market which NO ONE could dominate them in until better technology came along) when I was 8 and used it until I was 18 as well.

That's not even mentioning the Playstation 1 and 2 which have had massive impacts across gaming culture.

So yea Sony tech basically saying "We're leaving all markets but Playstation and camera sensors.." is a big fucking deal. It means LESS competition which means MORE domination and MORE shitty products which have FEWER choices among them.

^This.

Advantage of the Z3 over the Galaxy S5 or iPhone 6:
-20.7 Megapixel camera with 1/2.3" sensor size (the biggest Android sensor)
-4k video recording (same as Galaxy S5)
-Waterproof
-2 day battery life from huge 3100mAh battery
-Magnetic charging
-PS4 remote play
-Quad Core 2.5GHz Krait CPU
-3GB RAM (same as Galaxy S5)

Unfortunately only Verizon and T-Mobile carry it and it has a locked bootloader. The sheeple only know how to buy Apple or Samsung now.
No, they just recognize that with a Sony, you're almost always paying 25% more... and for what?

They're both waterproof, they have the same processor running the same OS (although lollipop is out for S5 and Z3 is waiting), there's no noticeable difference in picture quality to the 16mp on the S5 (the slightly bigger sensor on the Sony is overshadowed by the higher pixel count and less efficient design compared to Samsungs isocell or whatever they call it), magnetic charging is neat but S5 wireless charging is neater, both have the same rated talk time but the S5 has a removable battery so you can replace it as the battery ages or carry a spare as well as an ultra-power saving mode that puts it way over, the S5 also has features the Z3 lacks like biometrics and heartrate monitor and such, and this is coming from a phone that's half a generation newer than the S5 (with the S6 right around the corner).

Remember, the S5 was made around the time of the Z2, and all twenty-one worldwide Z2 owners probably regretted that decision.

Its the same with their TVs, its not that they are BAD TVs, but that you can get say a Samsung TV for 25% less, or pay the same and get a better Samsung TV.

I don't know, I guess as a non-fanboi (I could care less if I'm buying Japanese, Korean, whatever) I just can't manage to do the same mental-gymnastics that some people can to justify Sony purchases. But facts are facts, there aren't that many Sony fanbois out there, and their years of lack of profits demonstrate this.

If they get out of the phone market that means they are going to dump there Sony Vita as well as they got their Mobile Phones to work with that system. Man that thing was a flop.

If they get out of the phone market that means they are going to dump there Sony Vita as well as they got their Mobile Phones to work with that system. Man that thing was a flop.

I wouldn't expect dropping phones to be related to the Vita as that is a different line. That is part of the PlayStation line. That said they should drop it and give up. That thing is nothing more than a joke to most people.

Their cameras are very well made - the a7 series is the lightest fullframe mirrorless body you can currently buy. Also, the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 is one of the highest rated lenses ever by DXO.

I have a KDL46XBR9 thats still kicking ass in my mancave, its IQ is every bit the the equal of the 52 inch Sammy I purchased last year.

My sister has a Z2 and hates it, low battery life, glass back shattered, UI lag. On top of that the battery isn't replaceable. I know everyone will argue that has nothing to do with Samsung's success but how ironic it seems to be a very common theme for a difference between Samsung phones that sell well and every other phone people say is so amazing but doesn't sell well. Samsung doesn't do one thing right they do a ton of things right and no one seems to get that. Any other phone maker can pick one or 2 features to beat Samsung on, but sooner or later the customer is going to get pissed off when a sealed battery fails, they run out of storage, or they just paid more and received less.

No, they just recognize that with a Sony, you're almost always paying 25% more... and for what?

They're both waterproof, they have the same processor running the same OS (although lollipop is out for S5 and Z3 is waiting), there's no noticeable difference in picture quality to the 16mp on the S5 (the slightly bigger sensor on the Sony is overshadowed by the higher pixel count and less efficient design compared to Samsungs isocell or whatever they call it), magnetic charging is neat but S5 wireless charging is neater, both have the same rated talk time but the S5 has a removable battery so you can replace it as the battery ages or carry a spare as well as an ultra-power saving mode that puts it way over, the S5 also has features the Z3 lacks like biometrics and heartrate monitor and such, and this is coming from a phone that's half a generation newer than the S5 (with the S6 right around the corner).

Remember, the S5 was made around the time of the Z2, and all twenty-one worldwide Z2 owners probably regretted that decision.

Its the same with their TVs, its not that they are BAD TVs, but that you can get say a Samsung TV for 25% less, or pay the same and get a better Samsung TV.

I don't know, I guess as a non-fanboi (I could care less if I'm buying Japanese, Korean, whatever) I just can't manage to do the same mental-gymnastics that some people can to justify Sony purchases. But facts are facts, there aren't that many Sony fanbois out there, and their years of lack of profits demonstrate this.

You dont pay anymore for the Z series than you do for a Galaxy S phone. They are both water resistant not proof, one is rated for higher protection than the other and it isnt the S5. Both have the ultra power saving mode and by all accounts the Z2 and Z3 have better battery life than the S5 to the tune of 25%. The bio metric sensors are a valid concern but thats it. The Z series isnt even close to as heavily bloated as the S5 is.

I'd take the Z2 and Z3 before the S5 any day. Oh wait I did, I have the Z2 and its the best phone I have ever owned thats considering I have owned more phones than you will ever know.

Galaxy S5 is $530 from TMobile: http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-s-5.html
Sony Z3 is $630 from TMobile: http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/sony-xperia-z3.html

Both are waterproof, not water resistant. There's water resistant (lowest), water repellent (second best), and waterproof. Waterproof means that something can be fully submerged under water for extended periods without any water intrusion whatsoever.

The S5 is waterproof; it is rated to be submerged into 1 meter of water for up to 30 mins. The S3 is waterproof; its rated to be submerged into 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 mins.

The Z3 only has a basic "stamina" mode which closes unused apps. The "ultra power saving mode" on the S5 is unique to it, which limits you to 3G, sets the phone in ultra-conservative black and white mode (OLED unique power saving feature), display refresh drops to 30%, two cores turn off and remaining go to 1.5ghz, restricts the device to only the most basic functionality, and is generally highly specialized in how little hardware is utilized. The result is that you get 24hours of life for every 10% of battery remaining. So a mere 20% battery can last you two days if you're in a pinch.

Both the Z3 and S5 have the same 21hrs WCDMA rated talk time in normal mode.

I much prefer the larger screen sizes so I never considered the Z3, but I think people here are praising the phone a bit too much. It's a nice phone but it isn't a game changer.

Also Sony messed up by releasing the phone well after everyone got their refresh out in the U.S.

FYI Sony sensors are used in all the high-end Panasonic, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax & they've just partnered with Canon who normally makes their own sensors but has fallen behind in recent years. Not to mention Sony's own line of stills and cinema cameras. It's Sony sensors in all the iphones, ipads, galaxy devices, and a ton more. So if Sony cuts stuff that's not making them money like phones and TVs and concentrate on what is...yeah they have a good shot at achieving their goals.

Galaxy S5 is $530 from TMobile: http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-s-5.html
Sony Z3 is $630 from TMobile: http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/sony-xperia-z3.html

Both are waterproof, not water resistant. There's water resistant (lowest), water repellent (second best), and waterproof. Waterproof means that something can be fully submerged under water for extended periods without any water intrusion whatsoever.

The S5 is waterproof; it is rated to be submerged into 1 meter of water for up to 30 mins. The S3 is waterproof; its rated to be submerged into 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 mins.

The Z3 only has a basic "stamina" mode which closes unused apps. The "ultra power saving mode" on the S5 is unique to it, which limits you to 3G, sets the phone in ultra-conservative black and white mode (OLED unique power saving feature), display refresh drops to 30%, two cores turn off and remaining go to 1.5ghz, restricts the device to only the most basic functionality, and is generally highly specialized in how little hardware is utilized. The result is that you get 24hours of life for every 10% of battery remaining. So a mere 20% battery can last you two days if you're in a pinch.

Both the Z3 and S5 have the same 21hrs WCDMA rated talk time in normal mode.

First the S5 is on sale, last week the Z3 was $530. Retail no sale price is $660 compared to the $630 Z3 there you go. The talk time are similar, but the on screen time and actually usage on the Z3 is far far superior than the S5. For me I'd rather have the on screen time than talk time but if you use talk time as your only metric then ok they have similar battery life. The screen on the Z3 is also far brighter, the screen color is up to preference. I prefer the Z2/Z3 screen because it looks more natural to me and actually hurts my eyes less than my Note 3. I also prefer the metal and glass than the cheap ass leather want to be/bandaid look of the Note 3 and S5. I also never drop my phone so that has to be the reason why I like glass and metal more than plastic.

Not sure how stamina mode actually works on my Z2, because I have never had to turn it on. But overall the Bloatware on Samsung phones is probably why Ill never buy another one after the S1,S2,S3, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Note 1-3. None of them have been as trouble free and an all around solid smart phone than my Z2 out of the box. In fact the Z2 is the only Android smartphone I havent had any gripes with and its why I still own it. I used to go through a smart phone every 6 months because I never found a single one that did it all for me, other than the fact that I like to upgrade. The only ones close are the iPhones but I needed more flexibility than iOS could give.

Lastly, IP or the ingress protection rating does not state waterproof. It is the rating for the ingress protection of water and dust up to a certain point. IE water resistant up to 1m for 30 minutes. Even Sony states clearly that it is waterproof* but the * states "IP rating is a test certification to measure a device’s resistance levels to both dust and water." The Z2/3 can still be water logged as they are not meant to be dipped in water at anything other than atmospheric pressure and only up to 1.5m for up to 30mins.

Name one thing.

PS4? HAH! Nope.

Phones? A joke!

TVs? Overpriced.

Look at the Xperia smartphones. The z3 is in the top3 or top5 android phones but you probably haven't even heard of it because Sony marketing is pure trash.

Back