Sony Is Planning to Launch a Cable TV Killer

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Everyone seems to be gunning for the cable TV industry and Sony has just joined the ranks of other mega-corporations like Apple, Google and Intel that are introducing their own variant of Internet TV as a replacement for cable entertainment.

Initially Sony plans to stream traditional live TV channels and video-on-demand content to its PlayStation gaming console as well as Bravia HDTVs, according to the Journal.

Sony is releasing an App to kill your settop boxes. Well they did already design one to kill desktop computers that they released on cds years ago shouldn't be much of a step up from that to kill my set top box. :)

So basically they are doing the as Microsoft is doing with the Xbox One and going to have all the TV stuff in there also to make it a gaming / home entertainment box.

Sony is releasing an App to kill your settop boxes. Well they did already design one to kill desktop computers that they released on cds years ago shouldn't be much of a step up from that to kill my set top box. :)

So basically they are doing the as Microsoft is doing with the Xbox One and going to have all the TV stuff in there also to make it a gaming / home entertainment box.

Actually the Sony system is much different than the Microsoft system in this regard. Sony has been talking directly with content providers, not cable companies. They are trying to circumvent cable companies all together and offer channels (starting with VIACOM which includes comedy central and stuff) without needing a cable subscription. The Xbox One just takes control of your current cable box.

Internet TV is the next big leap in entertainment. Cable companies are holding onto an outdated system because it benefits them. Netflix has shown that people want internet TV, and the demand is there. When Cable and some station have problems, the channel goes down for those customers, but torrenting goes up.

Slowly but surely the ancient model of TV networks and will be dragged kicking and screaming into oblivion. Hopefully some day we'll be able to pay for only shows that we want, instead of paying for whole networks or worse yet, huge bundles of networks who all broadcast mindless junk.

Slowly but surely the ancient model of TV networks and will be dragged kicking and screaming into oblivion. Hopefully some day we'll be able to pay for only shows that we want, instead of paying for whole networks or worse yet, huge bundles of networks who all broadcast mindless junk.

Argh, we need an edit button. I was going to say "and cable TV" but got distracted.

If Sony does pull it off, good for them but I have my doubts with Sony.

Before Sony has said it wanted a subscription based streaming product like Netflix, I wonder if Sony is trying to bring that back.

So basically they are doing the as Microsoft is doing with the Xbox and going to have all the TV stuff in there also to make it a gaming / home entertainment box.

Dafuq are talking about? The XBONE will change channels for you on your existing cable box. It won't even record/DVR.

The Sony solution is true IPTV. As in no cable box required. As in PS4 is taking an IP stream and 'decoding' channels and performing the traditional function of a cable box

This won't really work until high speed internet is no longer tied to cable... If I want high speed internet and no cable, I have to pay a $20/mo punishment charge.

Actually the Sony system is much different than the Microsoft system in this regard. Sony has been talking directly with content providers, not cable companies. They are trying to circumvent cable companies all together and offer channels (starting with VIACOM which includes comedy central and stuff) without needing a cable subscription. The Xbox One just takes control of your current cable box.

Dafuq are talking about? The XBONE will change channels for you on your existing cable box. It won't even record/DVR.

The Sony solution is true IPTV. As in no cable box required. As in PS4 is taking an IP stream and 'decoding' channels and performing the traditional function of a cable box

Different methods same result. Be it pure IP or via some other device you are still using the PS4 to watch TV. Which was my point. They are adding the ability to watch TV into the device also. Giving you the full package for home entertainment (game, movies, tv...) the same that Microsoft was going for a single device that does it all. Doesn't mater what way they take to get there, if in the end you can watch TV shows / stations.. It is the same.

That's fine, now the cable company will just roll their old tv fee into the cost of internet.

Different methods same result. Be it pure IP or via some other device you are still using the PS4 to watch TV. Which was my point. They are adding the ability to watch TV into the device also. Giving you the full package for home entertainment (game, movies, tv...) the same that Microsoft was going for a single device that does it all. Doesn't mater what way they take to get there, if in the end you can watch TV shows / stations.. It is the same.

No its not the same result. You still need a cable box to use the Xbone's tv features. You wouldnt with the what Sony is proposing. Xbone is not 'one device that does it all.'

I wonder what their pricing model will be and exactly what TV channels will be available. If Sony is bold and smart, they should do the al la cart and/or small channel packages. They might even convince me to by a PS4 just for the TV service if it is done right.

I'll cross my fingers and pray Sony gives me a way to just get a few sports channels in addition to the main networks (for more sports obviously) for a reasonable price. I'd ditch my cable in an instant if they manage that. Pretty long odds though....

I'll cross my fingers and pray Sony gives me a way to just get a few sports channels in addition to the main networks (for more sports obviously) for a reasonable price. I'd ditch my cable in an instant if they manage that. Pretty long odds though....

Sony will be stuck to deliver their own content. Major networks won't go to this and those are the ones that hold the contracts with all the major sports. NFL? already tied up. MLB? VERY tied up. NBA? This one has a little wiggle room but I doubt it will ever be handed off to a streaming service. NHL? HAH!

Content is too closely controlled by the creators, the current providers are doing their bidding and sometimes actually TRY to give us more options but get stuck when the creators pull their strings.

Meh, the only way to get off the ancient business model is to actually come out with a service like this and slowly get content for it. It'll be painful and extremely unprofitable at first but you have to get your foot into the door before you can walk through it.

[21CW]killerofall;1040130753 said:
I wonder what their pricing model will be and exactly what TV channels will be available. If Sony is bold and smart, they should do the al la cart and/or small channel packages. They might even convince me to by a PS4 just for the TV service if it is done right.

Thats obviously their big push given the timing of this so close to their new console launch - another killer app for the console and a big one. A killer app is by definition something that makes people want to buy the hardware/platform.

Other megacorps have tried and failed at unsettling the entrenched cable industrial complex, Sony however has had roots in Hollywood for a long time due to their movie and entertainment divisions so they've got more leverage to make the impossible happeb, certainly more than an Intel or Microsoft and arguably even Apple who have made an IPTV offering a quest to be first to market with.

It would certainly be a coup for the Sony platform if they pull off even half of what they're indicating in their announcements.

This won't really work until high speed internet is no longer tied to cable... If I want high speed internet and no cable, I have to pay a $20/mo punishment charge.

Punishment charge? The discount they are giving you on the cable TV portion of the bill? They are not discounting the internet service.

The cable companies are stupid. If they would stop raising their prices and just kept them low, no one would try to enter the market.

Will this be like their vcr killer or their sd card killer? Or will it be more like their nintendo ds killer? They'll screw this up one way or another guaranteed.

The cable companies are stupid. If they would stop raising their prices and just kept them low, no one would try to enter the market.
It isn't just the cable company per se. Its the content providers getting a direct cut from the cable companies monthy too.

I understand most of your frustration and the general point you're getting at; However, I have to raise the question:

If you only purchased the shows.. and I'm assuming you would also want them to be free of ads/ commercials since you're just purchasing individual shows.. Then how would you ever learn about new shows or what shows you had any desire in watching?

I understand most of your frustration and the general point you're getting at; However, I have to raise the question:

If you only purchased the shows.. and I'm assuming you would also want them to be free of ads/ commercials since you're just purchasing individual shows.. Then how would you ever learn about new shows or what shows you had any desire in watching?

The internet, OTA commercials, word of mouth, advertisements that seem to be plastered on every single thing possible. You don't have to watch pay tv to learn about pay tv that you might want to pay for.

If you're desiring the level of seclusion that is paying for just individual tv shows.. why would you ever sit through OTA commercials instead of just DVR/ Tivo. Nor would OTA broadcast any ads for HBO/ Cinemax or pretty much any premium station's shows. Word of mouth; How would you have word of mouth about a new series when this ideal world would have shows for sale and no commercials to advertise the shows? The internet could lead people there, if you frequent the right sites I imagine. I'm probably a horrid example, but my internet traffic doesn't branch too far beyond XDA, [H]ardforum, Mcarterbrown, PBN, Craigslist, PNC and ESPN.. Not a lot of promos for new tv shows.

Maybe it could work and maybe I'm completely wrong.. I just don't envision that fantasy world or paying for individual shows really working out.

It would work just fine... you would have offers like.

We noticed you enjoyed watching the NBA and the movie Hoosiers.. perhaps you would like the movie Invencible the story of a down and out blah blah blah making it into the NBA where he blah blah blah.. here is a link to wikpedia to learn about the individual.

Then after you watched that and rated it.

We see you liked this movie and many that do also enjoyed the movie Shooter.. in this movie...

This leads to the bourn movies that leads to the new James bond movies.. and so on.

Content is advertised.. and you never watch a commercial on the content you paid for.

It is just known what content you like.

then they would offer free with commercials. Or slightly more without marketing tracking. (pron)

If you're desiring the level of seclusion that is paying for just individual tv shows.. why would you ever sit through OTA commercials instead of just DVR/ Tivo. Nor would OTA broadcast any ads for HBO/ Cinemax or pretty much any premium station's shows. Word of mouth; How would you have word of mouth about a new series when this ideal world would have shows for sale and no commercials to advertise the shows? The internet could lead people there, if you frequent the right sites I imagine. I'm probably a horrid example, but my internet traffic doesn't branch too far beyond XDA, [H]ardforum, Mcarterbrown, PBN, Craigslist, PNC and ESPN.. Not a lot of promos for new tv shows.

Maybe it could work and maybe I'm completely wrong.. I just don't envision that fantasy world or paying for individual shows really working out.

You're complaining about OTA commercials and yet you're not sure how you'll discover new content? Well there's your problem right there.

Also, you're telling me you know what station (HBO/Cinemax/etc) you want to watch but you can't find trailers or clips for any of their shows?

This sounds like a self induced problem.

You're complaining about OTA commercials and yet you're not sure how you'll discover new content? Well there's your problem right there.

Also, you're telling me you know what station (HBO/Cinemax/etc) you want to watch but you can't find trailers or clips for any of their shows?

This sounds like a self induced problem.

You're exactly right. I'm arguing that the fantasy world devoid of commercials and advertisements that it would seem many people want.. would induce the problem of people finding it harder to find content they might enjoy. If you read my statements correctly.. I said if you wanted the seclusion of only paying for individual shows you wanted, then why would you watch OTA commercials.

I'm not at all opposed to OTA commercials, or commercials on cable television or cable television at all. I am more or less content with how things are. I would never know about the show Face Off (which I love) if I paid for individual shows or even handpicked the channels that I get. I wouldn't choose to pay for Syfy if I hand picked all my stations, as I'm unimpressed with most of their content; Yet magically flipping channels I stumbled onto Face Off one evening and now it is one of the two shows I actually watch on a regular basis. That wouldn't have been possible if things were based on a pay per show basis.. nor would any of the "helpful suggestions" that someone else mentioned.. as I don't watch many sci-fi or related shows that would even bring up the suggestion for Face Off.

The thing I'm worried about with all these streaming services is fragmentation.

If I have to pay $8 to Netflix, $8 to Hulu, and now as-yet undetermined amounts to MS, Sony, Intel, etc, to get the same channel/show coverage as I currently get with cable, where's the savings?

Two things.

1. I said Invisible was about the NBA not the NFL. But the point stands.

2. LstOfTheBrunnenG : Yep.. in the end it will be more expensive for us to have the same services in a fragmented delivery stream. But it is cheaper if we only get what we specifically want.

if i could get my live sports and new releases of tv episodes on netflix i sure wouldn't have cable tv

Back