Sony Is Dumping the PS Vita in 2018, New Report Claims

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Some would say that Sony gave up on the Vita years ago, but a tweet on Spain’s official PlayStation Twitter account suggests that the handheld could officially be put to pasture this year. While the tweet only confirms the handheld’s discontinuation in Spain, it could very well meet the same fate elsewhere.

This follows the announcement made by the tech giant earlier this year, in which they revealed their plans to discontinue PS Vita games through the PlayStation Plus subscription service. “Starting next year on March 8, 2019, the PS Plus monthly games lineup will focus on PS4 titles and no longer include PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita titles,” Sony posted.

Alas we barely knew thee.

I always thought it was interesting but odd. Kind of like a pre-switch. The proprietary movie format didn't do it any favors.

Off topic but slightly relevant: All the retro mini's and game remake stories I've been seeing lately got thinking about a couple of Sony games I would love to see updated re-releases. Heck, I'd even get a PS4 if they re-made these:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Demolition

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Bounty_Hunter

https://kotaku.com/5904519/omega-boosts-intro-might-be-the-coolest-thing-90s-video-games-ever-did

Not surprising. Beautiful piece of hardware, but I only played like 3 games on it, and there wasn't exactly much more going for it other than the hardware.

As someone who loved the PSP and wanted to also love the Vita..Good fucking riddance to this thing.

They announced they aren't going to continue with PS plus games for the Vita or PS3 back in Feb.
This doesn't surprise me. I had my Vita for a while and had some emulators on it until the thumbstick broke.

It was a cool device, but it was too expensive to combat the 3DS, and the 3DS had all the cool games. Sony was always too focused on fending of Microsoft in the living room to pump the money in to it that it deserved. Now that the Switch is out, it is dated too.

Bought it day one. Good hardware, great screen. Had a decent lineup to begin with, with Uncharted and GoW. Have used it sparingly since.

It is pretty crazy, the jump that mobile devices made around 2013. My friend had an M7 that I played around with, and it was clear that the Vita's hardware advantage got rubbished pretty quickly. Screen still looks nice, though.

Also, screw Sony for those ridiculous proprietary Pro Duo SD cards. The 32GB card set you back $140 IIRC. Even worse was how quickly those sticks died, if you tried to do more than handful of write cycles. I remember some Sony rep telling me not to write too much on the sticks, when I asked for a replacement. WTF.

Bought it day one. Good hardware, great screen. Had a decent lineup to begin with, with Uncharted and GoW. Have used it sparingly since.

It is pretty crazy, the jump that mobile devices made around 2013. My friend had an M7 that I played around with, and it was clear that the Vita's hardware advantage got rubbished pretty quickly. Screen still looks nice, though.

Also, screw Sony for those ridiculous proprietary Pro Duo SD cards. The 32GB card set you back $140 IIRC. Even worse was how quickly those sticks died, if you tried to do more than handful of write cycles. I remember some Sony rep telling me not to write too much on the sticks, when I asked for a replacement. WTF.
Just be glad you can use those--mine only takes the vita's proprietary storage format (its not pro duo or any other type of sony "memory stick").

Have not touched mine in years. I felt they never gave it the support it needed.

That's the truth. The interesting thing is that although it's been more-or-less dead for years now it has been a absolute dream for JRPG players. There is not a week or two that goes by where I don't see a new Vita JRPG release, and that's why I think the Vita has held on for as long as it has. There are still Indies that release on Vita, but the Vita has been kept afloat by the JRPGs being released.

Sony fucked themselves with that proprietary memory card. The 64 gig stick which is the highest storage capacity offering was like $120 or something and never ever went down in price. If you were lucky, you could buy one on eBay for $100 or a little more. I got the 32 GB one last year and that $50 was a hard pill to swallow for such little storage space, but it did the job. Have a bunch of fantastic games on there... PS1 classics, PSP releases like the Power Stone Collection, and a whole bunch of others.

All-in-all it's the perfect size and build for a portable gaming machine and should have received more support than it did. The amount of games playable on there between not just the Vita games, but PS1 classics, and PSP games is fantastic.

In fact, if anyone wants a great portable gaming device I would still suggest buying one. Got mine off Craigslist a while back for a really good price. There are SO many great games on there and if you travel frequently it has an enormous library of games to enjoy. If you are interested, here are my favorite Vita games I own:

• Borderlands 2
  • Gravity Rush
  • Killzone Mercenary (still looks great today)
  • Little Big Planet Vita
  • Metal Gear Solid Collection
  • Tearaway
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Unit 13
One tip: there are lists online of PS1 games that can be installed on the Vita from the PS Store but it's not complete. There is a work-around for getting more PS1 and PSP games onto the Vita; download the PSP/PS1 games onto a PS3, plug the Vita into the PS3 and transfer the games from PS3 to Vita. That way there are a lot more games you can get to the Vita such as Metal Gear Solid I believe, Dine Crisis games, MediEvil, PSP Power Stone Collection, and others.

Last edited:
In typical sony fashion their product didn't die of natural causes sony suicided it.

Proprietary formats always work./s

Sdhc or GTFO.

But much piracy.

That's the truth. The interesting thing is that although it's been more-or-less dead for years now it has been a absolute dream for JRPG players. There is not a week or two that goes by where I don't see a new Vita JRPG release.

Sony fucked themselves with that proprietary memory card. The 64 gig stick which is the highest storage capacity offering was like $120 or something and never ever went down in price. If you were lucky, you could buy one on eBay for $100 or a little more. I got the 32 GB one last year and that $50 was a hard pill to swallow for such little storage space, but it did the job. Have a bunch of fantastic games on there... PS1 classics, PSP releases like the Power Stone Collection, and a whole bunch of others.

All-in-all it's the perfect size and build for a portable gaming machine and should have received more support than it did. The amount of games playable on there between not just the Vita games, but PS1 classics, and PSP games is fantastic.

In fact, if anyone wants a great portable gaming device I would still suggest buying one. Got mine off Craigslist a while back for a really good price. There are SO many great games on there and if you travel frequently it has an enormous library of games to enjoy. If you are interested, here are my favorite Vita games I own:

• Borderlands 2
  • Gravity Rush
  • Killzone Mercenary (still looks great today)
  • Little Big Planet Vita
  • Metal Gear Solid Collection
  • Tearaway
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Unit 13
One tip: there are lists online of PS1 games that can be installed on the Vita from the PS Store but it's not complete. There is a work-around for getting more PS1 and PSP games onto the Vita; download the PSP/PS1 games onto a PS3, plug the Vita into the PS3 and transfer the games from PS3 to Vita. That way there are a lot more games you can get to the Vita such as Metal Gear Solid I believe, Dine Crisis games, MediEvil, PSP Power Stone Collection, and others.

Just FYI, all the devices involved in this HAVE to be online for it to work.

Back