Sony HDR-FX1

I REALLY would not recommend picking that up if all you are going to do is take it to your kids christmas concerts. unless you have a hell of alot of money to burn, but then you could give it to me.

but really, it will probably be a bad choice unless you are making movies, or starting a business for that sort of thing.

You will not notice a real difference in quality unless you are viewing the footage on a nice 1080i or 920p HD monitor and I am willing to bet that most people you know dont currently posses one. Having said that you are MUCH better off spending less money on a Panasonic DVX-100A (24P) or a little more on a Cannon XL2 (35mm lens)... I have used the DVX-100A a great deal and the picture at 16x9 and 24P is EXCELLENT - you add the optional Anamorphic lens to it and the picture is even better.... dont go HD unless you are willing to spend real money and get an HDD model and not an HDV...

Take that for what it's worth... this camera also lacks XLR connectors which are the industry standard for microphones and for $3500 it should. The XL2 and DVX100A both have dual XLR connectors onboard for when you get more serious.....

I'll be primarily doing wildlife/nature video and I don't need mic inputs for the camera. I'm looking for as much resolution I can get and the XLR inputs aren't required for my goals. At work, we have 2 XL2s for chromakey content, and yes, they are perfect for that role.

The Panasonic is a great camera, but I want the ability to record in HD as well as SD and I think it'll fit the bill nicely.

StArWaRrIoR said:
I'll be primarily doing wildlife/nature video and I don't need mic inputs for the camera. I'm looking for as much resolution I can get and the XLR inputs aren't required for my goals. At work, we have 2 XL2s for chromakey content, and yes, they are perfect for that role.

The Panasonic is a great camera, but I want the ability to record in HD as well as SD and I think it'll fit the bill nicely.

Well let me know what you think of it, we use Sony DSR300's and DSR570's (native 16x9) here at school and they are nice but I am unimpressed overall by Sony's prosumer choices.

Resolution matters only if you have the playback equipment to show off the extra detail. There is a pretty good review of this camera online and if I can find it I will get you the link- they were impressed with it overall but I couldnt see anything that made me want to rush out and buy it. The Panasonic will be my next camera.....

Interesting. I typically chime in on video threads, but this is out of my scope mostly.

Im interested in reviews of this camera.

starwarrior, who is this video destined for?

I haven't any information about the camera, but that fact that its got 1/3" megapixel sensors doesnt bode well in my mind for contrast and lack of noise. the minimum for SD production broadcast is 1/2".

also, what do you plan to edit with? Editing HDV is currently unsupported in many applications, I think.

I have a corporate business that wants some stock video shot for a promo they have coming up. They want it in HD, so I'm guessing they'll be displaying in HD someplace.

I have a lot of personal reasons I want a HD camera too, but money I can make from it to recover the investment is fine in my book.

Methodical said:
also, what do you plan to edit with? Editing HDV is currently unsupported in many applications, I think.

correct and Avid's HD solutions are REALLY expensive. I am not an Apple man so Final Cut is not an option.....

Adobe is working on a HD plugin for Premiere as I'm guessing they are with Discreet products as well.

Back