• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sony GDM-FW900

thenickmix

n00b
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
25
http://www.azatek.com/details.asp?iid=786

I am thinking about getting one of these guys for my new gaming comp. It's an HP A7217A which is just the Sony GDM-FW900 rebadged by HP. I am looking for anyone's opinions on this monitor. The reviews I have found say it is very good. I would like to go CRT over LCD for one last computer purchase. I just don't want to have to worry about ghosting or input lag or black levels or any of that. It is between this monitor and either the Dell 2005 or 2405. I realize the 2405 is slightly bigger (the viewable space on the CRT is 22.5") but it is also much more expensive. Space is not an issue, my desk is just a big long table with pretty much nothing on it. I realize it is refurbished, but I looked on resellerrattings and they had good things to say about the company, and they seem to honor their 6-month free exchange policy.

Thoughts?
 
The only reason I would be able to justify getting that thing is if you do a lot of image work, or if you have 2 7800GTXs. Otherwise, you wouldn't even be able to get nearly close to that thing's highest resolution in games.

And you realize the 2005 and 2405 are both LCDs, right? Just making sure, because you mentioned the bit about wanting to go CRT over LCD, but then mentioned the Dell widescreens anyhow.
 
Yes, I know the Dell's are LCD's.

I'm just looking for a kickass gaming experience.

I wouldn't run it at its max resolution, I would run it most likely at the same as the 2405, which is 1920x1200, and with that I can get a flicker-free refresh rate of 85Hz.

Plus I will be able to use lower resolutions without any loss in quality, as is supposedly the case with LCD's.

I think I'm pretty much sold on it, I'm just looking for a little reinforcement, trying to make sure I will be satisfied :)
 
The only thing that concerns me about that model is the dot pitch being lower at the edges (.24 center / .27 edges) so it might not be perfectly focused corner to corner , but this review claims they couldnt tell any differance in focus, Otherwise looks like a kick ass monitor especially at that price.
 
Are you going to use a 'cherrypicker' to hold it, so it doesn't break your desk in half?
 
Back
Top