Sony FW900 resolution problems?

twonunpackmule

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes, I realize that there is a thread about this. Though, I see it more as a purchase thread, instead of a help thread.

I am posting this because it seems that the monitor I have is having problems displaying widescreen resolutions. I cannot use anything but 1600 x 1024 or 1920 x 1080, as that is the only thing that I do not have to scale to much. If I should use 1280x800 or 1280 x 720 I get incorrect displaying, and I have to size to incredible lengths in order for it to fit my monitor. I do not believe I should have to size it that much if I want to play a game at a slightly lower rez then 1600x1024.

I have a BFG Geforce 7800 GTX OC

1280x720 and 1920x1080 are 16:9 aspect resolutions and the FW900 is a 16:10 aspect monitor,the 4 main 16:10 widesreen resolutions I use (depending on the game) is 1280x800,1600x1024,1680x1050 or 1920x1200. The monitor should remember the screen size when you manualy stretch the screen in each resolution but it also saves the settings based on refresh rate ..so for example it will remember differant maunal screen size settings in 1600x1200@85hz versus 1600x1200@100hz. WinXP for whatever reason always uses 60Hz refresh by default when playing games but you can override the refresh rate settings in Nvidia display options (pic below), just remember not to set the refresh rates over the monitors limits.

refresh_overide.jpg

i have same problem, tried to adjust all resolutions and all refresh rates but monitor forgets earlier adjustments, les say i change 10 resolutions n different refresh rate ill forget the first one, u add another then forgets #2 ect

mathesar said:
1280x720 and 1920x1080 are 16:9 aspect resolutions and the FW900 is a 16:10 aspect monitor,the 4 main 16:10 widesreen resolutions I use (depending on the game) is 1280x800,1600x1024,1680x1050 or 1920x1200. The monitor should remember the screen size when you manualy stretch the screen in each resolution but it also saves the settings based on refresh rate ..so for example it will remember differant maunal screen size settings in 1600x1200@85hz versus 1600x1200@100hz. WinXP for whatever reason always uses 60Hz refresh by default when playing games but you can override the refresh rate settings in Nvidia display options (pic below), just remember not to set the refresh rates over the monitors limits.

refresh_overide.jpg

I used to use that.. It seems that nVidia removed the Refresh override in the 7x.xx drivers.

ellover009 said:
i have same problem, tried to adjust all resolutions and all refresh rates but monitor forgets earlier adjustments, les say i change 10 resolutions n different refresh rate ill forget the first one, u add another then forgets #2 ect

The manual states that it saves 10 user adjustments so it will indeed start forgetting earlier adjustments once you exceed that. You really shouldnt need to use more than 10 resolutions tho? I just stick with the 4 I listed earlier and sometimes ill use 1280x960 or 1600x1200 if a game doesnt support widescreen.

UrielDagda said:
I used to use that.. It seems that nVidia removed the Refresh override in the 7x.xx drivers.

Ack I forgot to mention you need to unlock the refresh overide with newer nvidia drivers, I used this file here on 78.01 drivers and it works fine (suppose to work with all forceware drivers) , all you do is unrar it and double click the .reg file and it'l enter the appropriate info into the registry, next time you access nvidia options the refresh overide (among other options) will be unlocked.

how come monitor can't auto adjust. heres part of problem, gta san andreas runs at 60fps resolution at 1600x1024, 1600x1024 is one of resolutions I use but i run refresh rate at 100, so i had to go back adjust screen when at 60fps refresh in order to correct game at that resolution. at 2048 monitor doesent support 60fps so game is forced to use higher and somehow displays correctly.

Lemme see if i get this, go to override nvidia, pick my 10 fav resolutions, force refresh rate at highest monitor will handle. When i play game ex gta san andreas that runs at 60refresh rate will force it to 75 or 100 accordingly, n i wont have to tweak as much?
What did u use to tweak colors, what is ur brightness, gamma, ect usefull settings?

mathesar said:
Ack I forgot to mention you need to unlock the refresh overide with newer nvidia drivers, I used this file here on 78.01 drivers and it works fine (suppose to work with all forceware drivers) , all you do is unrar it and double click the .reg file and it'l enter the appropriate info into the registry, next time you access nvidia options the refresh overide (among other options) will be unlocked.

there wouldnt happen to be a zipped copy of that around would there? :cool:

UrielDagda said:
there wouldnt happen to be a zipped copy of that around would there? :cool:

Sure you can get it here.

Lemme see if i get this, go to override nvidia, pick my 10 fav resolutions, force refresh rate at highest monitor will handle. When i play game ex gta san andreas that runs at 60refresh rate will force it to 75 or 100 accordingly, n i wont have to tweak as much? What did u use to tweak colors, what is ur brightness, gamma, ect usefull settings?

Yea the override will force games to run at whatever refresh you specify instead of being stuck at 60hz. I didnt mean you HAD to use the override feature its just that I could never stand 60hz refresh on a CRT for to long ;) , A higher refresh rate also helps if you aren't running Vsync on the videocard (reduces the screen tearing effect during motion). I have the color/gamma/brightness settings on default in Nvidia color options but I do have Digital Vibrance enabled (pic) with the slider set in the Low range which gives the color a slight boost in intensity.

Back