• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sony CEO Interview

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Howard Stringer, CEO of Sony, has been interviewed by C|Net News today. As we’ve come to expect from the top brass at Sony, there are a few really outlandish statements but that is what makes it so interesting to read.

If you go back to when DVDs came into play, it took about three years until they got into price points of $299 to $399. I suspect it's about the same thing here with Blu-ray. I think it's going to take up to three years to get down to those price points, possibly a little longer. But I would assume it's similar to DVD.
 
I absolutely agree. With a little price fixing here and there, we can make sure we have no choice but to wait a few years before the feds catch on and they start reducing prices.
 
China to the rescue!
LOL, I can’t wait to get some cheap cyberhome or Memorex Blue ray/HD DVD players. It is just a matter of time. However, I think it will happen faster for the Blue Ray and HD than it did for DVD. After all, the low cost companies are already set up and have distribution channels in the states. Furthermore, with prices for DVD players in the $30 range, I imagine that the “disposable hardware” companies are just salivating on the possible profit margins. Lets just hope that Sony or Toshiba didn’t do anything shady with patents or licensing…. Not that the Chinese respect crap like that (good for them!). It just means that I will have to order my $100 HD/Blue ray player from some store in the Philippines.
 
China to the rescue!
LOL, I can’t wait to get some cheap cyberhome or Memorex Blue ray/HD DVD players. It is just a matter of time. However, I think it will happen faster for the Blue Ray and HD than it did for DVD. After all, the low cost companies are already set up and have distribution channels in the states. Furthermore, with prices for DVD players in the $30 range, I imagine that the “disposable hardware” companies are just salivating on the possible profit margins. Lets just hope that Sony or Toshiba didn’t do anything shady with patents or licensing…. Not that the Chinese respect crap like that (good for them!). It just means that I will have to order my $100 HD/Blue ray player from some store in the Philippines.


The dual format player is a little over $1,000 at the moment.
 
You all know about the (PlayStation) delays because you all covered that thoughtfully and elegantly and unkindly--but we've now reached a million PlayStations shipped to the United States, as ultimately promised.

Ohhh...we're sorry Sony. Just send us what you want us all to say and we will be glad to do that for you.
 
Glasgow: If you go back to when DVDs came into play, it took about three years until they got into price points of $299 to $399.

Bullshit! I bought my first DVD player (a brand new Toshiba) for $299 in 1998. DVD came out in 1997. Sounds like they have become engulfed in the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field(tm).
 
Yes, 1998. $300. My mom still has that player. That was back when rental stores had about 10 DVDs for rent.
 
Ohhh...we're sorry Sony. Just send us what you want us all to say and we will be glad to do that for you.

No doubt. That article certainly had a lot of corrections to interpret what he "meant" vs. what he actually "said", too. They must not have programmed him correctly before he left the plant. I guess the first revision of the interview didn't give the Sony-intended experience.
 
They must not have programmed him correctly before he left the plant. I guess the first revision of the interview didn't give the Sony-intended experience.

:(

He caused a huge intarweb-panic today with that "we have the European launch in April..." comment, making everyone think that the PS3 will be delayed in Europe. They had to change that to say "spring" since it has already been announced as launching in March. Freudian slip?
 
I bought my DVD player in 99 or 2000, for $113 or something from Best Buy. It was the cheapest DVD player at the time. It has outlasted several more expensive DVD players that my family has bought over the ages, not to mention all those PS2s that had DVD failures :p

Not all of the Chinese ripoffs are bad, some of them acutally outlast the Japanese rage! :-P
 
Glasgow: If you go back to when DVDs came into play, it took about three years until they got into price points of $299 to $399.

Bullshit! I bought my first DVD player (a brand new Toshiba) for $299 in 1998. DVD came out in 1997. Sounds like they have become engulfed in the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field(tm).

Yes, 1998. $300. My mom still has that player. That was back when rental stores had about 10 DVDs for rent.

I bought my DVD player in 99 or 2000, for $113 or something from Best Buy. It was the cheapest DVD player at the time. It has outlasted several more expensive DVD players that my family has bought over the ages, not to mention all those PS2s that had DVD failures :p

Not all of the Chinese ripoffs are bad, some of them acutally outlast the Japanese rage! :-P

Just to refute all your remarks, I paid over $1,300 for my DVD player... that was the week or so it came out.

Technology becomes cheaper as time progresses, you can already snatch up a bluray player for $500ish vs where it was over 1000 a couple months ago.
 
In 1999 I bought a Sager Laptop with a K6-2/400 4mb video card and a DVD-ROM drive for $1300. And never once used the drive for any DVD functionality but to watch movies (why do things still ship on CD again?)
 
Just to refute all your remarks, I paid over $1,300 for my DVD player... that was the week or so it came out.

Technology becomes cheaper as time progresses, you can already snatch up a bluray player for $500ish vs where it was over 1000 a couple months ago.

I was just refuting the CEO's remark that there were no sub-$299 DVD players after 3 years.
 
I was just refuting the CEO's remark that there were no sub-$299 DVD players after 3 years.

There were plenty, obviously there were many cheap as heck ones too. Also, don't expect a CEO to know every operating and technical function of the company, trust me on this ;)

Bluray drives will follow the same trend and will become just as cheap in the same timeframe; all it's going to depend on is the publics acceptance so they can mass produce and other vendors jumps onboard.
 
Back
Top