Sony 3Q Profit May Fall 50% on PS3

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Bloomberg, Sony may report third-quarter profit fell 50 percent after its flagship PlayStation 3 lost market share to the competition.

Losses from games probably drove net income down to 84.1 billion yen ($691 million) in the three months ended Dec. 31, from a record 168.9 billion yen a year earlier, according to the median estimate of five analysts surveyed by Bloomberg. Sales at Tokyo-based Sony, which reports earnings tomorrow, probably rose 9.6 percent to 3 trillion yen.

..................3Q...................FY3/07
SALES ........... 2,595.4 ...........8,165.5

Electronics ....... 1,746.6........... 5,774.0
Games ........... 390.0 ...........939.0
Pictures ........... 224.8 ...........783.8
Financial ........... 169.5...........656.3
Other........... 121.8 ...........424.0

OPERATING PROFIT 94.3 78.1
Electronics........... 97.0 ........... 152.3
Games ........... -50.9 ........... -191.9
Pictures ........... 24.9........ 47.3
Financial ........... 17.5 ...........76.5
Other........... 11.3 ...........20.3

NET INCOME ........... 84.1 ...........122.1

You know Sony is thanking god right now for movies and TVs....oh, and Spiderman ;)

poor ps3, but damn how do they expect to get any sells when they don't have any games and all their exclusives keep jumping ship (who can really blame em though). I really hope my ps3 will actually get some use besides collecting dust =/ .

Yeah tell me about it. Im getting a bit sick of playing the downloaded demos. There is no reason to buy the PS3 right now.

I've got a dusty PS3 as well... Wasn't worth the money just to play resistance.

the wii60 get way more use, and the 360 is a better online platform so any game available for both I pick 360.

picked up a wii on the 28th, the day walmart restocked, managed to get one at the second store I went too. They only had a couple left in stock 2 hours after they started selling them. Looked at the PS3 at both stores. Fully stocked and collecting dust. At least nintendo finally made a really good console again. I don't think the ps3 is bad it's just been outclasses this time around. The 360 came out a year earlier and sold well and the Wii is just so much fun to play it's rediculious. The leaves ps3 as little more that a fancy blueray player.

190million in losses does not seem too bad compared to the ~175 million MS took last year due to X360. Especially given the loss per unit on the PS3 and the fact the Sony is claiming 500k more units moved in a similar time frame.

In a statement, Sony blamed the decline on a strategic decision to set the price of the PlayStation 3 below the cost of production as a way to bolster market share.

Yes, that's it. It just wasn't expensive enough.

Yes, that's it. It just wasn't expensive enough.

It also blamed start-up costs. They are kinda just jumping around the fact that 1. It was simply to expensive to make in the first place and 2. lowering the price hurts a lot because of that initial price point.

I am actually surprised their electronics division did so incredibly well. So well in fact it not only made up for PS3 losses but was able to help Sony post a profit. Thats pretty amazing considering all things and how everyone was saying the PS3 needed to do well to save Sony because of their failing Electronics division:p

Anyone find that Sony posting the complete opposite numbers of what everyone was predicting funny?? One more reason to take everything you read lightly.

It also blamed start-up costs. They are kinda just jumping around the fact that 1. It was simply to expensive to make in the first place and 2. lowering the price hurts a lot because of that initial price point.

I am actually surprised their electronics division did so incredibly well. So well in fact it not only made up for PS3 losses but was able to help Sony post a profit. Thats pretty amazing considering all things and how everyone was saying the PS3 needed to do well to save Sony because of their failing Electronics division:p

Anyone find that Sony posting the complete opposite numbers of what everyone was predicting funny?? One more reason to take everything you read lightly.

But isn't Sony still insisting that they won an Emmy for the Sixaxis that the Emmy committee keeps saying they didn't win?

You know somethings gotta be up with sony rasing the price of the PS3 (in canada) to match us prices.

However I'm not surprised at all, I've finally played a 'project revolutin' and I had nothing but fun, there is something fun about having a wii-version of sadam fight jesus, wholefully wrong mind you but fun. Its innovative and seems adequate to produce nice graphics. On the more powre side the 360 has been shown to keep pace or outpace the ps3, not to mention all the negative press the ps3 has gotten and the numerious problems with display models.

We all know about the price so lets skip it.

One of the biggest fallings of the ps3 was before it began when the gaming community heard that God of War 2 would be the ps2 tittle, if that didn't send a signal I don't know what would.

What do you know, 5 analysts predict a 50% drop in profits, the truth comes out today and it is only 5.3% yet still a profit of 1.3B. The only division down was their games division which is expected for a new console launch that is being sold at a loss. Just ask MS on that one.

You know somethings gotta be up with sony rasing the price of the PS3 (in canada) to match us prices.
Sony never raised the price, a few retailers did. Complain to them.

But isn't Sony still insisting that they won an Emmy for the Sixaxis that the Emmy committee keeps saying they didn't win?
Where do they keep insisting? It was a mistake, get over it. They still got the Emmy. Hell I have an Emmy sitting next to me on my desk right now.

Despite all of the misteps, bad press, stupid statements by the higherups (probably their biggest problem) they are having a decent year.

that has nothing to do with anything I just said

Actually, the reason I brought it up is to make a point about the fact that Sony's word always seems to be skewed in whatever direction they want you to believe. It wouldn't be the first time a company publicly reported one number when another was true.

...Doodz!! This is mad nuts. PS3's cell r0x teh graphics and FMVz. Its the pinuckle of gaming. Like WTF is wrong with people? </hallucination>

Oh, yeah. Bought my Wii at launch in November and it's still kicking almighty ass as my primary console.

Back