Sony 2021 TV Lineup

Sony released details on their 2021 TV Lineup. Few sites I found with details:

What Hi-Fi
flatpanelshd
avforums

---

What I personally find interesting is the 43" model (KD-43X85J). This is down in the "cheap seats" in their lineup so it's edge lit, not full array dimming. HDR performance may at least be better than the "HDR" 400 monitors that are being released. Plus these sets have HDMI 2.1 with support for VRR/ALLM.

Strange that the native refresh rate of the panel is 100hz and not 120hz but definitely a step in the right direction and may be good enough, especially when driving 4K. 100hz is at least enough for Windows to feel more smooth over 60 and gaming should feel pretty good given VRR. The current 43" Sony model (XBR43X800H) is ~$600 so this could be a half way decent value proposition if pricing remains relatively close.

Could be an option for those that can't quite fit a 48" (OLED) but could squeeze this in. Or those that don't want to worry about possible burn in.

Lot of info still needed of course. Input lag, panel responsiveness, etc. It's a TV and could use PWM dimming for the backlight also so that's a possible concern as well, at least for me.

--

Update - Sony USA site doesn't have info for the 43" or 50" versions yet but I found full specs on the 43" version on the Sony Asia website.

Things I'm interested in:
"Frame dimming" - edge lit as expected
"Direct LED" backlight type - hoping this means PWM-free
HDR - HDR10,HLG,Dolby Vision
HDMI signal - 4096x2160p(24,50,60Hz), 3840x2160p(24,25,30,50,60,100,120Hz) 4, 1080p(30,50,60,100,120Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i(50,60Hz), 720p(30,50,60Hz), 720/24p, 576p, 480p
VARIABLE REFRESH RATE (VRR) - Yes (for HDMI 3/4)
AUTO LOW LATENCY MODE (ALLM) - Yes (for HDMI 3/4)
FEATURES SPECIFIED IN HDMI2.1
4K120/eARC/VRR 2/ALLM

Specs on B&H website also list 120hz refresh rate

Will update once US website is fully updated

--

Looks like Flatpanelshd has an article with prices. $900 for the 43" version. Was hoping it would be less though I guess not terrible given current monitor pricing.

Last edited:

zehoo

Limp Gawd
No 48" OLED from them this year by the looks of that. Maybe LG decided to horde all the 48" panels for themselves.

sethk

[H]ard|Gawd
All those sources are (or appear to be) UK based. I know that whathifi and avforum are, from experience. Would also explain the 100hz (PAL based, multiple of 50hz). US models usually end in H not J.
Here's the Verge's report on the US lineup: https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/7/22218693/sony-tv-lineup-8k-4k-z9j-a90j-a80j-x95j-x90j-ces-2021
No report on the 43" models. In the past, the 43" models used older gen panels with different specs, so not sure what the 2021 line will look like in the US.

Jumpem

Gawd
All those sources are (or appear to be) UK based. I know that whathifi and avforum are, from experience. Would also explain the 100hz (PAL based, multiple of 50hz). US models usually end in H not J.
Here's the Verge's report on the US lineup: https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/7/22218693/sony-tv-lineup-8k-4k-z9j-a90j-a80j-x95j-x90j-ces-2021
No report on the 43" models. In the past, the 43" models used older gen panels with different specs, so not sure what the 2021 line will look like in the US.
The H models were 2020. The 2021 models are J.

sethk

[H]ard|Gawd
Sony's website for the X85J series has 43" listed
https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/x85j-series

On the right there is a "Show 6 models and prices". It lists the KD-43X85J but no specs or price available. If you try to view full specs it only has model year listed in the table so far.

They're kind of notorious for listing stuff prematurely but B&H has the 43" listed. It says "Preorder starts at 12am ET, Mon May 17"

realworld

Limp Gawd
I already have OLED as my primary gaming display. Using it as a PC monitor is more painful than desired, with the need to constantly show/hide Desktop, autohide taskbar, frequent ABL dimming the screen. The 50X90J looks potentially like a great PC monitor, assuming Sony has fixed the VRR and HDMI 2.1 issues.

Armenius

Fully [H]
Sony released details on their 2021 TV Lineup. Few sites I found with details:

What Hi-Fi
flatpanelshd
avforums

---

What I personally find interesting is the 43" model (KD-43X85J). This is down in the "cheap seats" in their lineup so it's edge lit, not full array dimming. HDR performance may at least be better than the "HDR" 400 monitors that are being released. Plus these sets have HDMI 2.1 with support for VRR/ALLM.

Strange that the native refresh rate of the panel is 100hz and not 120hz but definitely a step in the right direction and may be good enough, especially when driving 4K. 100hz is at least enough for Windows to feel more smooth over 60 and gaming should feel pretty good given VRR. The current 43" Sony model (XBR43X800H) is ~$600 so this could be a half way decent value proposition if pricing remains relatively close.

Could be an option for those that can't quite fit a 48" (OLED) but could squeeze this in. Or those that don't want to worry about possible burn in.

Lot of info still needed of course. Input lag, panel responsiveness, etc. It's a TV and could use PWM dimming for the backlight also so that's a possible concern as well, at least for me.
Sony televisions typically don't use PWM dimming even in their cheaper sets. Input lag is typically really good and they use RGB subpixels instead of BGR. What they do suffer from is uniformity and contrast, the latter because they use IPS panels instead of the typical VA type seen in televisions. I would not expect much from its HDR implementation other than to get it listed on the spec sheet. It's a decent entry-level display.
There are no more countries in the EU or UK that use PAL signal encoding anymore. All TV broadcasts are digital and use the standard DVB system for encoding. Granted, DVB-T still defined 50 Hz as the broadcast refresh rate, but referring to it as PAL is still incorrect.

zehoo

Limp Gawd
The X85J models have this listed [HDMI 2.1 ports: 2 (4K 120Hz, ALLM, VRR)], so as long as you don't care about HDR (they're edge lit) or OLED blacks they should be alright. Of course this is assuming Sony's new models that use the older X1 chip don't have the same blurry 4k 120hz image that the x900h does. I may cheap out and get new 43" instead of an OLED if they sell them in my country. Of course if LG ships their 42" OLED this year it would change my mind. 48" is just too big for my personal tastes.

I should also add if the X85J models are IPS instead of VA, I'm not interested.

sethk

[H]ard|Gawd
Sony televisions typically don't use PWM dimming even in their cheaper sets. Input lag is typically really good and they use RGB subpixels instead of BGR. What they do suffer from is uniformity and contrast, the latter because they use IPS panels instead of the typical VA type seen in televisions. I would not expect much from its HDR implementation other than to get it listed on the spec sheet. It's a decent entry-level display.

There are no more countries in the EU or UK that use PAL signal encoding anymore. All TV broadcasts are digital and use the standard DVB system for encoding. Granted, DVB-T still defined 50 Hz as the broadcast refresh rate, but referring to it as PAL is still incorrect.
I was talking about the carryover of 50hz (usually in addition to 60hz) for HDTV content in former PAL territories which is what is usually supported by 4K TVs there as well (but you are correct, I should not have called it 'PAL' which refers to the SDTV or pre-HDTV spec, similar to 'NTSC' not really being a thing here any more other than being the origin of the 60hz frame rate).
Most North American TVs will be 60hz with an internal 120hz for motion smoothing, whereas I've noticed that European TVs with the same model will sometimes advertise 100hz, which is what came to mind regarding the OPs question about quoting Euro sites saying the Sony models are 100hz.

Scrith

n00b
I think the 2021 Samsung and LG TVs with mini LEDs are a much better option. I haven't seen an official announcement about smaller sizes though (50 inches and less). I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I like using a 49" model (LG Nano85 w/ HDMI 2.1 input for 120Hz VRR support + HDR) and am even considering getting a 55 inch (and moving the 49 to another computer) if that is the only option for a mini LED 2021 TV.

Jumpem

Gawd
I think the 2021 Samsung and LG TVs with mini LEDs are a much better option. I haven't seen an official announcement about smaller sizes though (50 inches and less). I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I like using a 49" model (LG Nano85 w/ HDMI 2.1 input for 120Hz VRR support + HDR) and am even considering getting a 55 inch (and moving the 49 to another computer) if that is the only option for a mini LED 2021 TV.
Is Samsung still refusing to support Dolby Vision? That makes an otherwise good TV pointless, at least for living room use.

Bendak

n00b
Has anyone had any luck finding out the panel type of the 43" x85j? I've even contacted a few local dealers (not big box) to see if they knew and no one could give me an answer. One said they'd get back to me once they receive the TV in stock but he guessed it would be IPS since their 800 series usually are. I want it to be VA.

Well this looks interesting. Considering 32" 4k hdmi 2.1 monitors are expected to be $1200 minimum and nearly $4k on the high end, it certainly seems like a better deal. I actually would prefer IPS...plus all the 32" 4k models will be IPS anyway.

chameleoneel

Supreme [H]ardness
You all need to make sure that you triple check specs before you buy. Its common for the smaller sizes to not include some of the more desireable features, such as VRR, special layers to improve viewing angles, etc.