• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sonos

Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
665
What do you all think of the sonos music system?
http://www.sonos.com/

It looks slick as hell. I don't have the money to rush out and buy one or anything, but just wondered if anyone had any experience with it, or had some opinions on it. Thanks!
 
I would prefer a couple Sqeezebox 2's and my Pocket PC with a CF WiFi card. The Squeezebox is really a killer product for streaming audio.

Edit: Of course, if you're looking for a clean, drop-in solution, they might be decent. I'd still want a separate amplifier from my player. I can imagine others would disagree though.
 
I know this thread is more than a year old, but thought it was relevant to post a reply.

Since this thread was started, Sonos released the ZP80 which is a modified version of the original ZP100, which comes without an amp, but now has digital (both optical and coax) outputs. It also comes with a 2 port ethernet switch in the back.

I bought the ZP80 starter bundle which comes with 2 ZP80s and the remote control.

It's fantastic. Whips any other streaming product out there. I have a Buffalo LinkStation connected to it, and then the ZP80 to my router, so that even if nothing else is on, I can play music in any room that there is a ZonePlayer.

it's multi-room functions are flawless too.

Basically, if you want multiroom audio and have your music ripped (no DRM as usual though) then this is fantastic. No little displays that you have to squint at to see from across the room, this has a glorious colour screen on the remote, a nice scrollwheel and some good PC/Mac desktop software if you wish to go that way.

Buy one :)
 
Also since this thread started the Nokia770 was released and a very nice AJAX slimserver skin developed just for it. So for the price of the SONOS 2 system ($999 ZP80) kit and remote you can get 2 Squeezeboxes and a Nokia770 for a remote for ~$950. Note the SONOS remote is about the same price as a Nokia770 so it makes sense to compare the cost of the two systems this way.

I love my Squeezebox and will be getting more of them. And if you are a serious audio geek and like spending insane amounts of money on audio gear check out the new Slim Device the Transporter. Kinda pricey for me at $2000.

P.S. Note the Nokia Display blows away the display on the SONOS. ;) and Slim Devices all support multi-room playback with syncing. Another perk to Slim is the server software is open source and is constantly being updated and improved.
 
If you're a tech geek then go for the Slim, however, if when you get home you're sick of having to congifure, update etc etc then go for the Sonos. I like things to just work.
 
chuckalicious said:
If you're a tech geek then go for the Slim, however, if when you get home you're sick of having to congifure, update etc etc then go for the Sonos. I like things to just work.
Why would you say this? I have nothing against the Sonos, but I see nothing in the Slim that makes it difficult to setup. You install one program on your machine and point it to your music, then turn on your Squeezebox and the Squeezebox steps you through a one time config in which it trys to automaticly finds the server.
 
My point about the Slim is that you need to configure wireless if you want to use it wirelessly. Some users may find that quite tricky. The Sonos has no wireless configuration, it creates it's own mesh network, which is still part of your main network.

Also, if I remember correctly (I might not though :)), the Slim needs to have a PC on all the time, the Sonos does not.
 
Back
Top