Sonic 2 HD Alpha Release!

Nobody worry, KayossZero, stop!theradio and Derangel all said the file is OK and I was just in here trying to stir up trouble! Special thanks to stop!theradio for going out of his way to let me know I didn't know what I was talking about.

Heck, looks like I get to quote myself now:

I didn't say you were trying to stir up trouble. All I was commenting on was the name that popped up on your screen and based on experience from seeing false positives before with hacked PhysX drivers. Good job being a jerk though and putting words in my mouth.

Update: It's not a keylogger. Good lord, people. It stores game button configurations/key presses in a way similar to emulators - it can, however, in rare instances, accept input while the game Window isn't the main focus. NOT while the game is closed. It's a bug, and has no way of sending any info recorded to an outside source (because it's not a keylogger)

NakaSMK appears to be the engine, and uses the registry folder for general storage.

Here you go, Mr. coder extraordinaire ocellaris - read it and weep: http://pastebin.com/nfimdieH

Now, with that said - they've had nothing but problems with their main coder - a guy called "LOst" - and I refuse to support the project for as long as he's part of it. I've spoken with the visuals manager and he says they won't move forward with LOst. That's all good and fine, but until they make a public announcement regarding the matter, I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Update: It's not a keylogger. Good lord, people. It stores game button configurations/key presses in a way similar to emulators - it can, however, in rare instances, accept input while the game Window isn't the main focus. NOT while the game is closed. It's a bug, and has no way of sending any info recorded to an outside source (because it's not a keylogger)

Here you go, Mr. coder extraordinaire ocellaris - read it and weep: http://pastebin.com/nfimdieH

Now, with that said - they've had nothing but problems with their main coder - a guy called "LOst" - and I refuse to support the project for as long as he's part of it. I've spoken with the visuals manager and he says they won't move forward with LOst. That's all good and fine, but until they make a public announcement regarding the matter, I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah I was like FUCK for a second when I saw it, then remembered seeing on their forums one point that the game can record (and play back) input. No doubt not only useful for debugging, but also watching replays of gameplay from other people.

The whole "hack detection" thing was dumb, but I don't think this is nefarious.

Yeah, me too! I was prepared to totally eat my words while I was catching up on everything. But sho 'nuff it's just sensationalism at it's finest. It was no surprise to me that ocellaris was here in full force trying to make the most of the debacle. I even sent him the copypasta of the code. Seeing how he's been coding for some big company for 8 years, he should be able to wade through it and then unbunch his panties,

I scanned all of it with MSSE and got nothing. I thought I saw somewhere where someone showed MSSE reacting to it; I played through the entire demo with a gamepad and had no warnings from the AV.

Glad its cleared up. I'm going to give it a shot tonight then. But I was just reposting what was being said on Kotaku.

I got the initial popup while downloading with MSE due to the obfuscated code - and I've run multiple deep scans with Malwarebytes and there's just nothing that's raising any flags. Someone jumped the gun with the "ZOMG KEYLOGGER" thing and others ran with it. That said - I'm glad it's cleared up, too. Years of following this project all for them to install a keylogger on my machine would piss me off so fucking bad.

Last edited:
Also, an article n REDDIT by the person who leaked the original story:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/s3da6/sonic_2_hd_does_not_contain_a_keylogger_here_is/

Their statement has been REDACTED. Also, other people who have jumped the gun with the story are trying to mend things now, however useless it might prove. Congrats, ocellaris - we now have a harmless project that's likely been destroyed beyond repair due to people like you :rolleyes:

I think we did little but prove that dipshit programmers can prevent their own disasters by not releasing shady shit for public download. Seriously it isn't hard to release software that doesn't throw red flags.

I think we did little but prove that dipshit programmers can prevent their own disasters by not releasing shady shit for public download.

Nothing is malicious in the software. NOTHING. Nor is there anything shady about it. Have you ever heard of DInput? I suppose you have since you're, like, a programmer and all, right? What people were freaking out about was Dinput. Do you know how retarded that is? Really it has NOTHING to do with this Sonic 2 HD project when it comes right down to it.

If you're talking about LOst and his "don't hack my stuff, bro" attitude then yes - he is a dipshit. But don't you dare try to spin this in your favor because you are absolutely, 100% without a doubt WRONG. Mr. Programmer Guy Who Works for a Big Company ;)

...and their statement on their Facebook page:

Earlier on Sonic Retro a front page article was posted claiming that a keylogger had been found within the demo build of S2HD. This is a false claim: the root of the issue was with a DInput bug that can be turned off in the game's options (as pointed out by PolygonJim on the Sonic Retro discussion topic). The team's leadership repeatedly asked the project programmer to remove the code responsible for the obfuscated code that, when combined with the DInput bug, set off many malware programs. The plan was to put out a V1.1 of the demo with the problems removed. As we have not heard back from the programmer, we have removed him from our team. We apologize to everyone for how things have gone following the release, as the actions of one individual have cast the project in such a negative light. Once again, there is no malicious keylogger in the S2HD demo. That was an unsubstantiated claim that gained traction due to ignorance of how the code was constructed.

ownt. didnt DL it cuz of this. a shame even tho its been supposedly all cleared up that i still feel on edge about grabbing it.

Nothing is malicious in the software. NOTHING. Nor is there anything shady about it. Have you ever heard of DInput? I suppose you have since you're, like, a programmer and all, right? What people were freaking out about was Dinput. Do you know how retarded that is? Really it has NOTHING to do with this Sonic 2 HD project when it comes right down to it.

If you're talking about LOst and his "don't hack my stuff, bro" attitude then yes - he is a dipshit. But don't you dare try to spin this in your favor because you are absolutely, 100% without a doubt WRONG. Mr. Programmer Guy Who Works for a Big Company ;)

I would never claim I worked for a big company :p But I can assure you that we check all software packages with multiple AV and malware detection programs before anything hits a customer to avoid situations like this. The time for the devs to fully explain the situation was immediately after the initial release, not after it blew up ;)

Gotta love fan projects. They always give all kinds of power to the nearest 12 year old shitbag.

I would never claim I worked for a big company :p But I can assure you that we check all software packages with multiple AV and malware detection programs before anything hits a customer to avoid situations like this. The time for the devs to fully explain the situation was immediately after the initial release, not after it blew up ;)

Keep saying whatever you want mister programmer who's worked for a software company for 8 years. You still have no clue as to what you're talking about, do you? ;)

You have been proven wrong about everything and anything you've said in this thread. Is there anything else you'd like to be proven wrong about today, sir? ;)

EDIT: And after a debacle like this, I wouldn't download anything from this project either, hence removal of the links even though it was false information being spread around. There's nothing the project leaders can do to fix their reputation after this.

EDIT: Also, the editorial up on the Sonic Retro site has been redacted. The administrator had this to say about their keylogger article:

I fucked up. This is totally my fault and I take full responsibility for that. The article has been redacted and there will be another one going up shortly that explains the situation.

EDIT: A writer from TSS is also active in the forum and will redact their report.

EDIT: Sonic Retro puts up a new editorial:

LOst Removed As Sonic 2 HD Head Programmer, DirectInput Error Cause of Keylogger Scare

EDIT: TSS and Kotaku will follow suit in redacting previous stories.

Last edited:
Game looks good even though the drama surrounding it is more entertaining.

Drama like this is always more entertaining though it's a pity the project will be known more for the drama then the huge effort they're putting in for free.

Drama like this is always more entertaining though it's a pity the project will be known more for the drama then the huge effort they're putting in for free.

Pretty much this. Someone said "Hey, look on the bright side. judging by half the comments from various articles it appears that a lot of people who didn't even know the project existed... now do. "

Unfortunately, it comes down to the fact that all those people are now people who will probably never even touch the game.

Back