Somnambulist drives

DougL

n00b
Anyone have any impressions about these? They are cheap, about half the price of SSD drives from reputable makers. I DO NOT CARE about speed. They would be used for backups only. So the issue is reliability and lifetime, and maybe shock resistance. Online ratings are pretty good, if you believe those.

Never heard of the brand, but makes me wonder if the price is too good to be true.

Never heard of the brand, but makes me wonder if the price is too good to be true.
Lots of counterfeit drives, or bogus drives where the firmware reports a nice big size, BUT in reality the actual storage is much less.

And just because they may be sold on Amazon, that proves exactly nothing!

I never heard of them, but they are showing $13.99 for a 240MB drive. You can get a name-brand (Lexar, Crucial, Teamgroup HP etc.) for about $2.00 more. unless I was literally down to my last cent, I would spend the extra two dollars. That said, for not much more you can get a 512GB drive which will be significantly faster (I know you said speed was not an issue.)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
"cheap is as cheap does"

If you want to buy some of these drives, then perhaps I could interest you in some prime beachfront property that I currently have up for sale ?

in central Utah :D

So it sounds like the answer here is that because no one has ever heard of them, they must be crap. They are featured on Amazon and Temu, with good reviews, if you believe them. I don't.

Uh, no. Crucial, Samsung 500GB are $35. These are $20.

So it sounds like the answer here is that because no one has ever heard of them, they must be crap. They are featured on Amazon and Temu, with good reviews, if you believe them. I don't.

Amazon has a real problem with phony reviews.

SMH! Then just buy one, and when you have to buy another drive after it fails (or even works to begin with) it's going to cost you more than the extra $10 or $15 to get an actual brand name drive.

I’ve done about 4 or 5 orders (about 50 items total) with Temu so far. I know it’s made by um….people experiencing freedom deprivation….but the prices are just too good to resist. I have not bought an SSD yet because I don’t need the smaller sizes. But I have bought the PCI-E NVME adapters and the 2.5GB NIC’s for dirt cheap and they have been fine. I don’t see that the quality would be any different than say Fanxiang brand on Amazon. Which I have bought for less critical data. I don’t ever expect to return anything with Temu though…just eat the cost of anything bad…though thankfully everything so far has worked.

Anyone have any impressions about these? They are cheap, about half the price of SSD drives from reputable makers. I DO NOT CARE about speed. They would be used for backups only. So the issue is reliability and lifetime, and maybe shock resistance. Online ratings are pretty good, if you believe those.
They have worked for me for years. I have never gotten a "bad" non working drive from them, and to date, all drives bought are still in working condition. ( mind you, these are on heavy used home pc's, NOT production or NAS. ) a couple of them are a few years old, and not a single problem. I think with anything, it's a pay your money, and take your shot kind of thing, Your odds are probably less of getting a bad drive from Western Digital than from Somnambulist, that much I will admit, but as I said, they are fine for me up to this point.

Back