• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Somewhat quiet fan advice

SolitaryTurnip

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
73
I current have 2x120mm Antec Tricools running on low, a 92mm Panaflo M1A at 12v, and a vf700 at 12v. I'd like to get rid of the Tricools because they're too loud at medium, and don't move enough air at low, and was going to go with 3 fans (replacing the tricools and adding an intake) from Nexus or Yate Loon.

So, I need some advice. I can't decide if I want to pay more for the Nexuses (Nexi?) and get less cfm but less noise, or pay less for the Yate Loons and get more cfm but more noise. If the Yate Loons are going to give me noticeably better temps, I'd be able to put up with the noise, and I wouldn't mind saving money. But I don't want to make this system much louder than it already is... if the Yate Loons aren't going to perform much better, I'd be willing to spend the extra money for silence.

What do you guys think?
 
If you want more CFM, then going with a Nexus/YL may not be a good idea, I think Antec's tri-cool on low moves more air than the both of them. In terms of noise, how are you mounting the fan? Just screwed/clipped in?
 
What you could try doing is soft-mounting them. What's happening is that the Tri-cools are vibrating and transfering that vibration to the case, further amplifying the sound. Most enthusiasts at SPCR use rubber grommet type things to hold their fans.
 
Wow, that actually really helped. I was skeptical at first, but it seems to work really well. I guess I'll just keep these tricools at medium now and save a few bucks. Thanks!
 
:)

Suspending hard drives using rubber or elastics is usually the next step... as most HDDs, even quiet units, will vibrate and resonate in the case. How are you mounting your fans now?
 
Back
Top