Sometimes, Windows 7 is the only solution.....

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
I obtained a Gateway Computer with an i5-2500k and 12GB of ram for a friend a while back. I installed the upgrade of Windows 10 Home on it and it worked quite well. The problem was, I had installed an AMD HD6770 which is considered a legacy device.

Because of that HD 6770, the last two feature updates did not go well at all or did not install at all. Therefore, I installed a clean install of Windows 7 HP, installed SP1 and started the updates process. (I also installed the 15.7.1 Legacy driver.) This should keep his system from having problems and is a good reason to stay or install Windows 7. Just wanted him to be able to play his Final Fantasy XIV and some steam games without worrying about the future updates.

If he had a more recent card, it would have not been an issue but, that is ok, I am just happy to get him up and running again.

That's odd. I recently salvaged an 'old' Lenovo ThinkCentre (i7-2600, 16GB) from e-waste and got it working ($0). It has a Radeon HD 5450 in it. Windows 10 1803 works fine on it, except fast boot 'hangs' the shutdown which I just disabled and that's all dandy.

On an aside, I decided to replace the 5450 with a GT1030, and the free monitor I got, I am replacing with a new one. This free computer has cost me over $200 so far. ^^

I just did the 1803 on an old AMD Phenom X3 with a gigabyte hd4550 with no issues as well.

Built it for a friend many many years ago and he said it stopped working and just gave it back to me.
plugged it in and it fired right up.
Slapped in a hard drive installed Windows 10 and it worked pretty good for what it is. Installed the 4550 to see if my movies played smoother since the onboard felt like it was stuttering a bit.
Did the 1803 update when it came out and an hour or so later it was done.

Attachments

• IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    345.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I obtained a Gateway Computer with an i5-2500k and 12GB of ram for a friend a while back. I installed the upgrade of Windows 10 Home on it and it worked quite well. The problem was, I had installed an AMD HD6770 which is considered a legacy device.

Because of that HD 6770, the last two feature updates did not go well at all or did not install at all. Therefore, I installed a clean install of Windows 7 HP, installed SP1 and started the updates process. (I also installed the 15.7.1 Legacy driver.) This should keep his system from having problems and is a good reason to stay or install Windows 7. Just wanted him to be able to play his Final Fantasy XIV and some steam games without worrying about the future updates.

If he had a more recent card, it would have not been an issue but, that is ok, I am just happy to get him up and running again.
Feature updates should not be delivered to devices that are not compatible. Did Microsoft try to push the Features update to you, or did you try manually installing them?

Feature updates should not be delivered to devices that are not compatible. Did Microsoft try to push the Features update to you, or did you try manually installing them?

It came across as a normal Windows update method. Honestly, I am not really bothered by it because sometimes, the simplest solution is the best. Everything is working now and I do not have to concern myself with it anymore. Sometimes, certain hardware combinations just do not work well with newer stuff. Besides, it is all good and he is happy with it.

Hardware. Hardware. And did I mention hardware? Of course! Windows 10 is no different from prior versions. It's going to work better with the hardware during its time. I don't think AMD even supports the hardware in question.

Hardware. Hardware. And did I mention hardware? Of course! Windows 10 is no different from prior versions. It's going to work better with the hardware during its time. I don't think AMD even supports the hardware in question.
I agree. I've thought about this and sometimes I think Microsoft will have to eventually release Windows 11. In 10 years, is Windows 10 still going to run on hardware of today? I doubt it, but how will we differentiate that? So far Microsoft has not seemed to put in a method to keep a certain build, or in case's of custom computers, limit what build is installed. Eventually there has to be a cut off.

In a scenario where you have an old computer that ran 10240 OK but say in a few years will it still run Windows 10 OK? Considering you don't have the ability to stop builds along the way, what are we going to be able to do?

Want to talk legacy? I've still got a pair of 4870x2 in quad crossfire running in my 2500K rig and it runs Windows 10 Pro just fine. I have the registry setting enabled to have Windows update not try to update drivers and I've been using the same Windows 7/8.1 legacy beta driver for years. No problems so far, and even quad crossfire still works lol. I can't believe a 6770 would be giving you problems as even though it is also a legacy card now, it is so much newer.

Last edited:
Welp, it was not the video card. I upgraded the computer from the XFX HD 6770 to an XFX RX 550 4GB card and I could still not install the latest version of Windows 10. I just rolled back to Windows 7, installed the latest driver and the card is immensely faster than the old HD 6770. I really did not want to take the time to troubleshoot any further but, it is a 6 to 7 year old Gateway computer and therefore, it could just be the bios being unsupported.

Anyways, now he can play his games quite a bit better now. :)

Welp, it was not the video card. I upgraded the computer from the XFX HD 6770 to an XFX RX 550 4GB card and I could still not install the latest version of Windows 10. I just rolled back to Windows 7, installed the latest driver and the card is immensely faster than the old HD 6770. I really did not want to take the time to troubleshoot any further but, it is a 6 to 7 year old Gateway computer and therefore, it could just be the bios being unsupported.

Anyways, now he can play his games quite a bit better now. :)
In just looked up the price of a 680 on eBay.

Looks like I got a gold mine in gpus lol

Insane pricing.

In just looked up the price of a 680 on eBay.

Looks like I got a gold mine in gpus lol

Insane pricing.

I paid $69 plus tax at Best Buy yesterday for the XFX 550 4GB Card. They also have the 560 on sale for $99 but, the 550 was more than enough, I was just waiting for a deal like that to happen.

I paid $69 plus tax at Best Buy yesterday for the XFX 550 4GB Card. They also have the 560 on sale for $99 but, the 550 was more than enough, I was just waiting for a deal like that to happen.
Lol sorry isee 550 and 560 I think Nvidia.

My bad.

Sometimes, certain hardware combinations just do not work well with newer stuff.

Which is one reason I used 7 or 8.1 only on my old Z77 setup. Many of the chipset and USB3 functionality were supported by generic Microsoft drivers and didn't work very well. It just felt slower, more buggy. Upgraded to X99 and with the April 2018 update making Windows 10 "good enough" things work well, so there's that. I've noticed that as long as you're less current generation when a new Windows hits the streets and you get a subpar experience.

Some good examples I've run into:

486 DX/2 trying on 95
OG Pentium on 98
Pentium II or III on XP
P4 or Pentium D/A64 on Vista
...and now add Sandy/Ivy Bridge/AMD PhII/FX & Z77/AMD 7x0/8x0 on 10 to the list.

10 driver support with this Apple-like forced EOL is shit considering how many users MS wants to be using this.

Its quite funny remembering you take on that you believe its ok for windows 10 update to delete software on your system without warning.
and now you are complaining about the windows 10 update methods...

Which is one reason I used 7 or 8.1 only on my old Z77 setup. Many of the chipset and USB3 functionality were supported by generic Microsoft drivers and didn't work very well. It just felt slower, more buggy. Upgraded to X99 and with the April 2018 update making Windows 10 "good enough" things work well, so there's that. I've noticed that as long as you're less current generation when a new Windows hits the streets and you get a subpar experience.

Some good examples I've run into:

486 DX/2 trying on 95
OG Pentium on 98
Pentium II or III on XP
P4 or Pentium D/A64 on Vista
...and now add Sandy/Ivy Bridge/AMD PhII/FX & Z77/AMD 7x0/8x0 on 10 to the list.

10 driver support with this Apple-like forced EOL is shit considering how many users MS wants to be using this.

You sort of had me up until the end. There is no forced EOL stuff going on here, just a piece of hardware that does not properly support the newest version of Windows 10. (Appears to be a bios issue or maybe even the wireless card that is in the computer.) My FX Systems that I used to have ran great on Windows 10 and I have no doubt a Phenom II Setup would as well, as long as the bios is at least basically supported.

just a piece of hardware that does not properly support the newest version of Windows 10

You've got it backwards: it's the job of the manufacturers to provide the drivers and software necessary to make their hardware support the given OS. If a device doesn't work then it's the fault of the hardware manufacturers, not the maker of the OS you're attempting to use it with.

I just reinstalled a Windows 7 laptop for a mate after they shut the device down half way through an update and corrupted the OS. No wonder the shut the device down half way through an update, it took a whole day to apply all updates, every time I shut down or powered up the device there was more updates to be applied.

Microsoft really need to do something about this need to reboot and sit staring at a 'wait while we apply update' screen for far too long. I was ready to throw the thing out the window.

I just reinstalled a Windows 7 laptop for a mate after they shut the device down half way through an update and corrupted the OS. No wonder the shut the device down half way through an update, it took a whole day to apply all updates, every time I shut down or powered up the device there was more updates to be applied.

Microsoft really need to do something about this need to reboot and sit staring at a 'wait while we apply update' screen for far too long. I was ready to throw the thing out the window.

How old is the ISO you were using? The current one has maybe 3 sets of updates and take about an hour total. If you are running an ISO from before SP2, its going to take a while.

How old is the ISO you were using? The current one has maybe 3 sets of updates and take about an hour total. If you are running an ISO from before SP2, its going to take a while.

It was probably fairly old, being a laptop it was included in the recovery partition. No way I'm installing from an ISO and trying to find lapptop drivers using hardware ID's, that's more painful than Windows update! ;)

Even then, no if you use an ISO that was Pre SP1, you can just download, install SP1 manually, then run the rest of the updates and that is all. (Yes, there are over 100 updates after that but, at least on an SSD, it does not take long at all.)

It was probably fairly old, being a laptop it was included in the recovery partition. No way I'm installing from an ISO and trying to find lapptop drivers using hardware ID's, that's more painful than Windows update! ;)

It's hard because you want it to be hard.

Outside of chipsets and video cards, very few things need any update not provided by windows update.

You make up scenarios to make your story seem more credible. It's not.

You've got it backwards: it's the job of the manufacturers to provide the drivers and software necessary to make their hardware support the given OS. If a device doesn't work then it's the fault of the hardware manufacturers, not the maker of the OS you're attempting to use it with.

Ummm, what? I said what you said so how can that be backwards?

It's hard because you want it to be hard.

Outside of chipsets and video cards, very few things need any update not provided by windows update.

You make up scenarios to make your story seem more credible. It's not.

What? Where did that attack come from?

I really don't care, I'm just saying it was a massively inefficient process.

Even then, no if you use an ISO that was Pre SP1, you can just download, install SP1 manually, then run the rest of the updates and that is all. (Yes, there are over 100 updates after that but, at least on an SSD, it does not take long at all.)

It wasn't the SP1 update that took all the time, it was all the other updates that just kept appearing every time I shut down or rebooted the device. There was also the issue of Windows update sitting there at 0% for an age doing nothing at all until it suddenly decided to start doing something.

This laptop also did not have an SSD, so everything was a HDD poling nightmare. :(

I have been curious about how much labor is involved in creating drivers.
For example, how much time would it take a professional to write drivers for the GTX 1030 for Linux Ubuntu? How about for a knowledgeable hobbyist/ newbie?

I have been curious about how much labor is involved in creating drivers.
For example, how much time would it take a professional to write drivers for the GTX 1030 for Linux Ubuntu? How about for a knowledgeable hobbyist/ newbie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouveau_(software)
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

A long time, if the manufacturer is a dick that doesn't detail their hardware at all. (or at least no more then required to allow a basic 2D boot so you can install their closed source kernel modules)

https://gpuopen.com/
https://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/amd-open-source-driver-for-vulkan/
https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK

Before hardware launches... if we are talking about Hardware manufacturers that are not only willing to work with but fund and fully support open source teams.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-Vega-20-Patches

As to how easy would it be for one person to do it... it would be impossible. Full stop. Just for the Vega 20 patches there are over 13,000 new lines of code. That is just the kernel code, when they release the user land software for Vega 20 it will also include a ton of new code. Modern hardware is far to complicated to reverse engineer in the dark in a timely fashion... and even with full support it takes a team of people like any other large software project. (if drivers where easy for one person to nail quickly... we wouldn't need new drivers all the time. ;) )

Last edited:
Well, turns out the PCIe wireless card was preventing the newest version of Windows 10 from installing. Now that the computer has access to a physical network connection, I removed the card and Windows 10 installed without issue. :)

Well, turns out the PCIe wireless card was preventing the newest version of Windows 10 from installing. Now that the computer has access to a physical network connection, I removed the card and Windows 10 installed without issue. :)
Glad to hear you got it resolved.

Back