Sometimes my PC doesn't post until I flip the switch on the power supply...

On one of the new PC's I built I ended up reusing a couple parts (one being the power supply). The system is a socket 1156 motherboard and an i5 processor. When the PC has been off for a while it sometimes won't post unless I re-seat the power cable, flip the switch on the power supply off and on, then power it up using the power switch as usual. Sometimes the fans spin up full speed, but nothing else happens. Unfortunately the case doesn't have a speaker, so I am unable to listen for error beeps. I replaced the motherboard but the issue remains, so I am thinking of trying a new power supply next.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:
I've heard this problem with x58 cold boots. Try updating your motherboard bios.

I've heard this problem with x58 cold boots. Try updating your motherboard bios.

Thank you for the suggestion. I did try doing that, but the issue remains. For what its worth, the motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth.

At work I had that with two AMD Asus M2N board. Replacing the power supply from an Antec SmartPower 500 to an EW 650 fixed the issue. And no the problem was had nothing to do with load. Both machines used well under 200W at full load.

At work I had that with two AMD Asus M2N board. Replacing the power supply from an Antec SmartPower 500 to an EW 650 fixed the issue. And no the problem was had nothing to do with load. Both machines used well under 200W at full load.

Great - thanks for the info. I will try that next.

Yep, that would be my next advice. Trying a different power supply.

If you have to screw with the psu to get it to turn on then yes it is definitely time for a new one.

Back