Sometimes it's about positioning your speakers...

Pinipig523

[H]ard|Gawd
Sometimes it's all about positioning and getting the most out of our speakers.

Too many times I've seen people incorrectly (and unknowingly) set their speakers in differing heights, misdirected above or below the listener's ear level, positioned (toe in) asymmetrically, or merely dumped in a corner or bookshelf without a second thought as to what it just did to the sound.

I bet if more of us took the time to REALLY optimize speaker positioning, we'd be surprised by the improvement we get in overall sound.

It's all about potential and treating each speaker pair right, I think.

The reason why I chose to post this somewhat random thought-process was because I stumbled onto another improvement in my audio system, and it was not a costly upgrade... it was a simple repositioning of my speaker.

You see, I had ordered these "spikes" that were 2.5 inches versus the stock 1" spike that comes with my Martin Logan Summits. I had forgotten where I put them and I found them today. I did a quick install to the back of my speakers and in essence, made the electrostatic panel more vertical (instead of raked back about 20 degrees). Initial impressions seem to point to improved imaging... no doubt. I will listen some more to truly validate my initial thoughts.

But either way, all of us with any sort of half-way decent speaker set should try to position them just a wee bit more carefully. You may be surprised with what kind of slight improvement you get out of this "free" upgrade.

Anyway, enjoy the music guys. :)

This is why headphones FTW.

Having a space where you can really and properly position speakers to get positional audio roughly equal to a good pair of cans is....difficult. In some rooms, outright impossible.

This is why headphones FTW.

Having a space where you can really and properly position speakers to get positional audio roughly equal to a good pair of cans is....difficult. In some rooms, outright impossible.

I agree.. this is why headphones are such a deal. ;)

Absolutely.

I still remember the day I moved the sub from a klipsch 2.1 setup from under the desk to the corner of the room.

what a difference.

This is why I never take pictures of my speaker setup. I have them sitting stools and storage boxes and what not just to get that proper imaging, but my setup is still nowhere near optimal.

Back