Something wrong here...

Meccathor

n00b
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
4
All of a sudden, my computer has become very slow and I can't figure out why. Before, I would have no problem playing games such as Half-life 2, Counter-strike: source, Flight Simulator: Century of Flight, or Need for Speed Underground 2 very smoothly at high detail settings. But all of a sudden, my computer can't play any of them. For example: Even something as simple as the main menu in Need for Speed Underground 2 is running at less than 1 fps...

I'm out of ideas on what could be causing this....I have 15gb of my 100gb hard drive free, just defraged, updated spybot and ad-aware found nothing, full scan of mcafee viruscan found nothing wrong.

If anyone has any ideas on what could be causing my computer to operate so slowly, please let me know.

My system specs:
Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra mobo
1GB PC-3200 DDR-RAM (2 512mb sticks)
Nvidia Geforce FX 5900 Ultra 256mb
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Western Digital 100gb HD w/ 8mb cache
Windows XP Pro w/ service pack 2
 
McAfee can suck me.

Maybe your video card is screwing up. Maybe it has a fan on it that isn't working properly and it overheated and damaged it.
 
dont reformat! Software first then hard -- switch to safe mode see whats happening. and usual checks on vrus/malware, check your HD space and clean your HD with deleting cache/trash.
turn off all progs running at the background....when it slows down open up taskmgr.exe see whats going on. k, those would keep you busy for a while ...
 
Went to safe mode, checked for all viruses, malware, and spyware. Plenty of space on my hard drive. Taskmgr shows that nothing is using resources except the game.
 
dont format just yet! hey run dxdiag and those directX tests ....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
all the tests under dxdiag came up ok....

I noticed the performance decrease right after I cleaned out all the dust from my case a few days ago, I'm going to check to make sure that I didn't knock anything loose....
 
How could you do that? Dust helps dissipate the heat a lot .... Damn! you screwed it up put it back right away... :D
 
Nope, I just took everything out and re-connected it to make sure, and everything is securely in place...
 
Maybe you dreamt that your computer was super fast, and when you woke up, scratched your ass, and sat back down at your computer, you failed to distinguish between the dream world and the bitter truth.
 
GJSNeptune said:
Maybe you dreamt that your computer was super fast, and when you woke up, scratched your ass, and sat back down at your computer, you failed to distinguish between the dream world and the bitter truth.
Ha ha, LOL. :p
 
GJSNeptune said:
Maybe you dreamt that your computer was super fast, and when you woke up, scratched your ass, and sat back down at your computer, you failed to distinguish between the dream world and the bitter truth.
LOL....hey when you wake up, usually you scratch whose ass, yours or Ms. Backinsale's? ya know underworld 2 is coming right?
 
Back
Top