• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Something strange is happening...

2636

n00b
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
19
I was hooking up my speakers today and happened to grab the plug (where you would plug it into the computer). They were had power and were turned on but not actually plugged into anything as I was holding the plug. Well I noticed some sound coming through the speakers. It was a radio station. I can put the plug in the computer but not actually plug it in. Just kinda leave it hanging out and I get a radio station extremly clear. If I plug it all the way in, they just play what's coming through the computer. There isn't a problem, it's just strange that I can get the radio through them. They're just some cheap speakers. I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else, or anybody has an explination. I do live about 50 yards from a radio station, but I don't know if that station is broadcasted from there.
 
Without the cable being plugged in(grounded) it just acts as an antenna of sorts and thats why you can pick up the radio station. My guitar amp picks up a station slightly sometimes when I have the wah wah on and I stand in the right spot, as wahs are notorious for picking up radio stations.
 
Yea, this is common if you are near a radio station antenna.
The cable you use to connect your speaker must be conducive to picking up radio stations.

At the college I goto school at, we have a local radio stations. Now, its a very week station, but because its sooooooooooooooooo close, it causes the same thing's to happen.

I was playing around with a speaker setup one time for a physics demonstration, and we found out that the cables from the radio to the speakers were picking up the local station. No matter which station we had the radio on, the local one was being played too. Even on hiss it was picking it up, and removing the hiss just revealed it even more so.

Don't worry, what you had happen is normal enough.
 
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't too worried about it b/c the speakers worked fine when plugged in. I just found it odd that it happened all of the sudden.
 
Some people have claimed they were able to hear radio stations picked up by fillings or plates in their mouth or head, as featured on an episode of Mythbusters.
 
Back
Top