Something seems fishy about this store...

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie
http://www.ankhsoft.com/faq.html

Basically, they're offering heavily discounted software by offering "downloadable images of OEM discs" with a serial number emailed to your account. Something strikes me as odd here... I found them by searching for XP Media Center on Froogle; the nearest competitor is $20 more, and the nearest reputable competitor is Provantage at almost twice as much.

Is what they're doing legal? They are registered at ResellerRatings (search under Ankhsoft), but have no reviews (positive or negative) and have been there less than a year.

I'm especially amused/suspicous after reading these:
Why your software is so inexpensive compared to the other retailers?
We minimize our overhead by stocking mostly top selling software...
And yet...
I would like to buy specific software from you, but I can't find it in your list. Is it possible to perform a personal delivery and what will the price be?
Yes, our Sales Managers are always ready to help you to find just what you are looking for. But we can perform personal orders at a special price only to our current customers i.e. to those who have already bought something from us.
Oh, and there's this:
Can I receive automatic updates of the programs?
Even though you are not able to register the product online you will be able to receive automatic updates of the most programs. When updates are ready to install you will see a popup window or an icon at the right bottom corner of your screen. Then you have to click on the icon and follow the instructions.

Thoughts? Am I paranoid, or misunderstanding something?

First of all, if something appears too good to be true - It probably is.
Secondly, the sites registered to some strange guy from Russia...
And Finally... Did you see their price for Exchange Server 2007 Enterprise ...wow umm yeah its pirated.

autocad 2007 for $149. maybe this site needs to be in the [H]otDeals section!

you save $3711? i don't think they could tell me that to my face without cracking a little grin

Back