Something I have never seen: Vista networking

• Thread starter Deleted member 169154
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 169154

It's three days after I installed Vista, and everything was going perfect. Until I woke up this morning.

Clearly my internet is working (typing this from my laptop). This is using the same router as my desktop. The exact problem is nothing happens when trying to use the internet. It says I have a connection, tried everything I could with ipconfig and repair. Used both of my ethernet jacks. Even changed port in which the cat5 cord was leaving the router. Nothing works.

When I use Firefox it just says "done" and stays a white screen not matter what I try to do. When I type in a website with IE it says "The address is not valid". Pidgin also detects no connection. Vista is updating my weather though on its gadget (?!?!). I tried turning the firewall off also.

Also, whenever I close IE, Firefox, and Pidgin they "crash", it pops up with the Vista debug /close window.

I am at a loss. Please help! I dont know why this would randomly start.

Some people have been having trouble with it because of IPV6 and had to disable it, but i have no idea if it has to do with your issue, im sure someone will chime in with more input.

Is your desktop getting an address correctly? can you ping internal machines (ie your laptop) from your desktop? can you ping an external address, both by name and/or ip?

Maybe try messing with DHCP settings - put DNS servers, gate etc in TCP/IP settings for v4.

I had the same problem with firefox when resuming from sleep if I had left firefox open. I had to close firefox completely and reopen it. then all was well.

I disabled IPv6, didnt work. Firefox has opened and compltely closed many times, i wish it were that simple.

The internet worked fine for days. It is also working through the same router currently. It could also external ping. This makes no sense at all. Also, the browsers aren't doing the normal no cnnection detetcted. They are just not doing anything. I goto bed and everything is fine, i wake up and this. I also am baffled as to why the browser and pidgin crash after i close them. This was not there before these problems started this morning.

<peers into crystal ball> I can see your future! It's... System Restore! :D

Go back to before you had the issue, sounds like that will take care of it.

Like another guy said, go into your LAN adaptor and set the IP, DNS, and Gateway manually, keep to the same range as your router. I.E., if your router is supposed to assign via DHCP a range of 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.100, use one somewhere between that and see if that cures your issue. Sometimes my Vista32 would "lose" connection, but by assigning an IP and related stuff, that never happens. In Vista64, it has not occurred yet.

Try using these commands in the command prompt (not sure if it needs to be as an admin):

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

See if that helps.

Back