Something died: pls help

hanlin

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Messages
243
Something in my computer died yesterday. I was switching slots for my memory to see if will allow it to OC more. Other combinations caused massive errors. So I put it back to what it was before and set everything in the bios to stock. I tried memtest and it failed (stock speeds for memory). Then it started giving tons of errors. My keyboard didn't work so I hit the reset button. This time though, it said "System failed CPU test."

How could it have killed my cpu? Could it be a motherboard? Ever since I got this mobo back from rma, it always errors in memtest at the exact same spot. I didn't think it was a problem because it was running very stable. So could this possibly be a problem with the mobo and not the cpu? I sure hope so because I have a FX-55. I got nothing I could test with. The cpu does get warmer if I leave it on. At boot, it was 13C and leveled off at about 25C in a few minutes. Room temp was probably around 10C.
 
Anyone??

I really need this computer in the next few weeks so please help me find out the problem.
 
Does the computer turn on at all? Try each part one by one? Try taking everything off the board except one stick of ram, video card and HD.

If that doesn't work take the whole pc apart and run the mobo bare with ram and video only. Taking the whole thing apart and rebuilding the pc sometimes does the trick but it doesnt tell you what the problem was, who cares though, it works !

Goodluck
 
The computer doesn't work at all. Nothing will show up on the monitor. I tried taking differents parts off. However, as long as the cpu is in, it gives me the "system failed cpu test" no matter what else is plugged in. Without the cpu though, it says "no cpu detected" as soon as I hit the power button. I will take the mobo out of the case and see if that will work.

Anyway, how can I access EZFlash? I tried Alt +F2 but nothing happens. It still does the same thing. I've also tried resetting cmos.
 
Does Compusa have a restocking fee? I would like to try another processor to see if it really is my cpu that is dead.
 
no they do not have restocking unless you bought it online. I believe you have 21 days from the purchase date to return it, but I don't know how it works for the CPUs :(
 
If you don't install a cpu, is it supposed to say "system failed cpu test"? I took the cpu out as well as the mobo. When I start it, it starts off saying "no cpu installed." Then after a few seconds it alternates between this one and the other one.

I sure hope it's the motherboard that's the problem. I don't want to have a dead FX-55.
 
New Update:

I went out and bought an 3000+. It booted the first time, then had the same problems and booted again fine. I was using a 2 Mb PCI video card. I will try my fx-55 soon and report back.
 
My cpu is fine. Hooray!!!

Now, all that is left is the video card. Currently I have the 2mb card in there.
 
I put my X800 Pro back in and it won't start again. Weird. I tested the voltage going into the video card and everything is normal. Vcore is 1.612. Vdd is 2.052. Vddq is 2.206.

Does this mean there is something wrong with the AGP slot on my mobo? Compusa doesn't have any motherboards that I could use to test everything else.
 
Back
Top