someone help this intel newbie...

patriot71

Gawd
I have co worker who has a P4 2.2ghz want a memory upgrade. What kind of memory does this thing take? I had her use cpu-z to check out the memory in the system and it read two possible latencies at 133mhz and 166mhz in the SPD tab. I also had her find out what the fsb was and she told me it was 100. Basically, I am asking what memory do I use in this system? Does the 2.2 run on a divider with pc2700/pc2100 or is it 1/1 with pc 100? I havnt had her computer in front of me to actually look at the ram in there because I figured I could tell her what she needed without it. I havnt ever felt like so much of a newb. Please help!

figured i would post here because it is more of a fsb question and not a memory question.

CPU z tells what chipset the motherboard is using. It's easiest to determine what memory is needed based off of that information. Because not all Pentium 4's used DDR. Could be RDRAM or SDRAM also. But judging by what you've listed thus far I'd say it's either SDRAM or DDR ram. More than likely it's PC2100, but you can buy 2700 or even 3200 and it will clock down to 2100 if needed.

You do want to make sure that it isn't using regular SDRAM though.

Sir-Fragalot said:
CPU z tells what chipset the motherboard is using. It's easiest to determine what memory is needed based off of that information. Because not all Pentium 4's used DDR. Could be RDRAM or SDRAM also. But judging by what you've listed thus far I'd say it's either SDRAM or DDR ram. More than likely it's PC2100, but you can buy 2700 or even 3200 and it will clock down to 2100 if needed.

You do want to make sure that it isn't using regular SDRAM though.

Exactly... she could have a board that uses the original 845 chipset. ;)

it is a dell dimension 2400 i believe. I am probably going to make her bring it to me, that seems to be the easiest solution. Thanks guys.

patriot71 said:
it is a dell dimension 2400 i believe. I am probably going to make her bring it to me, that seems to be the easiest solution. Thanks guys.

Look it up on Crucial.com's memory configurator. That will tell you what it is and what you need to put in it.

if its a dell you can look up all the system specs on dell's website using the service tag...

Back