Somebody please help me with UPS problem.

Gambler_3

n00b
My computer has a 600W power supply namely the Corsair GS600. My UPS is a 1500VA/900W unit.

If I turn off the power at idle everything keeps running. I then go ahead and load up a game with no problems. The UPS has enough power to keep the system running at full load as it should.

However if I cut off the power while a game is running then the UPS shuts down everything and "fault" LED on it lights up.
So I really don't understand this. The UPS can withstand gaming as long as the power cut doesn't happen during it. So who is at fault here the UPS or PSU? This is really frustrating.

IMHO, the UPS is faulty, probably can't switch fast enough from bypass mode to inverter under loads or the inverter can't go full power so fast, anyway both are UPS issues, if it's still under warranty I would send to check.

However if I cut off the power while a game is running then the UPS shuts down everything and "fault" LED on it lights up.

What exactly do you mean by that?
If you cut the power while you are not running a game, everything is fine? Does the UPS switches to battery mode as it should?
Also, while gaming, does it shut down instantly, or do you have some time (*seconds ?? ) of headroom ?
P.S.Most probably Araxie gave the most logical answer.

Sounds like you need a new battery. It has enough juice to run your rig at idle/browsing but firing up that GPU draws too much juice and it clicks off.

Most of those things have a very easily replaceable battery in it.

Marginal battery is my guess. It can handle a light load but not a heavy one. Probably what the fault light is trying to tell you. Also possible that the UPS is over rated for what it can really handle.

How old are the batteries? Normal lifespan for UPS batteries is 2-4 years.

Marginal battery is my guess. It can handle a light load but not a heavy one. Probably what the fault light is trying to tell you. Also possible that the UPS is over rated for what it can really handle.

How old are the batteries? Normal lifespan for UPS batteries is 2-4 years.
Can you replace the batteries on most UPS? Wait, in 2-4 years are you saying the battery can no longer hold any charger? Or maybe it can hold 30 seconds of heavy load (enough time for a normal shutdown)?

Can you replace the batteries on most UPS? Wait, in 2-4 years are you saying the battery can no longer hold any charger? Or maybe it can hold 30 seconds of heavy load (enough time for a normal shutdown)?

most batteries tend to have a life expectative of ~1.5 years.. it's recommended to be replaced in that timeframe, after one they start to die slowly..

great quality batteries can live up to 3 years specially if they are two or more packed batteries, but are very few rare cases IMHO.

I test all my UPS every 3 months when I see they last half than the rated duration I replace the batteries, they are basically plug and play.

Usual failure is one of two, either sudden failure with near zero output or a gradual decay of both max output and duration. In the second case the heavy load ability will fail before the light load ability. Most UPS batteries are variations on the basic lead-acid car battery modified to be non-vented and mostly spill proof.

Back