some websites won't load, can ping/tracert but not connect

I can't figure this one out. Tinypic and spokeo.com doesn't load on my main computer. it would just say connecting but never loads. problem occurs in all web browser and on just this one computer. sites can be ping and tracert and also accessible through a proxy.

i've tried:

-switching to wifi
-clearing cache,cookies, temps
-disabling firewalls, etc
-fresh install of windows 7

these 2 sites worked on this computer before and they work for the other computers in the house that are connecting to the same router. any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried resetting the modem/gateway/router? I've seen the same thing and that fixed it. Powercycle all your networking hardware.

odd. Sounds like a DNS issue to me. If you ping them from two PCs do you get the same reply IPs?

Set your pc to some static ip besides the one being given to it by the router then try again.

Does it work if you logon as a different user? I had a customer who got an odd virus on her system, it destroyed her ability to access yahoo from any browser. Just yahoo, other sites worked fine.

In her case, the users didn't have admin rights, so all the virus did was mess up something in one profile, logging on as another user worked fine.

If you have admin rights on your PC, a similar virus would probably break it for everyone.

I can't figure this one out. Tinypic and spokeo.com doesn't load on my main computer. it would just say connecting but never loads. problem occurs in all web browser and on just this one computer. sites can be ping and tracert and also accessible through a proxy.

i've tried:

-switching to wifi
-clearing cache,cookies, temps
-disabling firewalls, etc
-fresh install of windows 7

these 2 sites worked on this computer before and they work for the other computers in the house that are connecting to the same router. any help would be appreciated.

Paste your Tracert results of tinypic. - Probably a good idea to exclude your IP address if it gets included.

Also, if you're a bit of a power user go enable Telnet in Windows Add/Remove features if you're on Vista+.
telnet domainname 80
can tell you a lot about what's happening.

Also if it hasn't been mentioned before, if you're using IE9 try the InPrivate Browsing. Sadly, I've seen an issue or two resovled by doing this.

odd. Sounds like a DNS issue to me. If you ping them from two PCs do you get the same reply IPs?

yep, same reply IPs on this computer and my laptop

Set your pc to some static ip besides the one being given to it by the router then try again.

problem still exist

This.

Have you tried connecting by typing in the IP address of those sites?

yes

Does it work if you logon as a different user? I had a customer who got an odd virus on her system, it destroyed her ability to access yahoo from any browser. Just yahoo, other sites worked fine.

In her case, the users didn't have admin rights, so all the virus did was mess up something in one profile, logging on as another user worked fine.

If you have admin rights on your PC, a similar virus would probably break it for everyone.

still can't connect to those 2 sites logged in as a different user. don't think its virus since problem still occurs after a fresh install of windows 7

Paste your Tracert results of tinypic. - Probably a good idea to exclude your IP address if it gets included.

Also, if you're a bit of a power user go enable Telnet in Windows Add/Remove features if you're on Vista+.
telnet domainname 80
can tell you a lot about what's happening.

Also if it hasn't been mentioned before, if you're using IE9 try the InPrivate Browsing. Sadly, I've seen an issue or two resovled by doing this.

tracerts.jpg

I notice that the times between each ip is much longer compared to the tracert i did on my laptop even over wifi. on the laptop it was 1-3 ms each.

tried private browing on both IE and FF and still a no go

And the results of executing

telnet tinypic.com 80
from the command prompt. IF you get a command not recognized you will need to read my original post again.

I just get a flashing underscore line when I type telnet tinypic.com 80. if i press any key it would say connection to host lost and if i don't it just goes back to c:/user>

Any content filtering taking place? Like an OpenDNS service or proxy server blocking certain websites?

Do telnet www.tinypic.com 80 and when you get the blinking cursor (which means you're connected) type:

GET /

and hit enter.

You should see something like this at the bottom:

Code:
 <li><a href="http://tinypic.com/search.php?tag=best+friends&amp;type=images" on
click="buttonTracker._trackEvent('Category Search', 'Index Page - text link - Be
st friends');">Best Friends</a></li>
                                    <li><a href="http://tinypic.com/search.php?t
ag=besties&amp;type=images" onclick="buttonTracker._trackEvent('Category Search'
, 'Index Page - text link - Besties');">Besties</a></li>
                                                        <li><a href="http://tiny
pic.com/search.php?tag=bff&amp;type=images" onclick="buttonTracker._trackEvent('
Category Search', 'Index Page - text link - bff');">Bff</a></li>
                                                                <li><a href="htt
p://tinypic.com/search.php?tag=boy+and+girl&amp;type=images" onclick="buttonTrac
ker._trackEvent('

Connection to host lost.

If you do, then you at least know the problem is browser specific. If it's not, then we can look at other things (if the output is different, post if here).

Notice the tinypic.com references, you should see the same.

Download Ubuntu install image and run the Live CD/DVD option, that way you can exclude any software issues.
//Danne

Any content filtering taking place? Like an OpenDNS service or proxy server blocking certain websites?

not that I know of

Do telnet www.tinypic.com 80 and when you get the blinking cursor (which means you're connected) type:

GET /

and hit enter.

You should see something like this at the bottom:

Code:
 <li><a href="http://tinypic.com/search.php?tag=best+friends&amp;type=images" on
click="buttonTracker._trackEvent('Category Search', 'Index Page - text link - Be
st friends');">Best Friends</a></li>
                                    <li><a href="http://tinypic.com/search.php?t
ag=besties&amp;type=images" onclick="buttonTracker._trackEvent('Category Search'
, 'Index Page - text link - Besties');">Besties</a></li>
                                                        <li><a href="http://tiny
pic.com/search.php?tag=bff&amp;type=images" onclick="buttonTracker._trackEvent('
Category Search', 'Index Page - text link - bff');">Bff</a></li>
                                                                <li><a href="htt
p://tinypic.com/search.php?tag=boy+and+girl&amp;type=images" onclick="buttonTrac
ker._trackEvent('

Connection to host lost.

If you do, then you at least know the problem is browser specific. If it's not, then we can look at other things (if the output is different, post if here).

Notice the tinypic.com references, you should see the same.

any key that I press when the cursor results in connection lost.

Download Ubuntu install image and run the Live CD/DVD option, that way you can exclude any software issues.
//Danne

yea it works fine in ubuntu.

nice! that got it to work. THANK YOU! and everybody else for their input.

No problem, when you're an unemployed college kid, you come across these issues working in your lab/home network. :p

Glad someone else has benefited from my findings.

Back