Some thoughts on these models

wfalcon

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm in search of a new monitor for my rig at home and could use some suggestions. I've done a bit of research, so I know the basics: differences between TN and IPS, response time, etc. However, there are definitely things I haven't encountered yet, and figured the [H] is the best place to turn.

Long story short, I need a 24" or larger screen, but the boss-lady says to keep it under $300. I 'm coming off of an old 24" 1920x1200 dinosaur that was used primarily for gaming (Battlefield 3, etc.). I have to pick it up either at Newegg/Amazon or something local (ala Frys/WorstBuy). Also, would like (DVI and HDMI) or 2 HDMI ports as I would also like to plug an Xbox into it as well. Here's a few models I was considering and would appreciate thoughts:

BenQ GW2750HM - Not a bad price, but would have preferred a better res, as I'm concerned the 1920x1080 on a 27" might look a bit blocky the 2-3 feet in front of me on the desk.

Samsung 24C750P - New and a bit unknown, but available locally. I think its MVA, but not sure how that compares to IPS.

Asus VS247H-P - Lots of folks seem to love them despite the cheap stand reported

Something else to consider?

I guess I should also add: Not concerned about any speakers/USB ports. My case is easily accessible and have dedicated speakers.

You know it's a holiday weekend and you didn't give anyone the chance to reply, right? It's not like this forum is overflowing with traffic like OCN...need patience....

I'm not that impressed by any of the monitors you listed, to be honest.

The 2450/2750 got very mixed reviews here, and BenQ has rather lousy customer service (in the US, anyway). The 2760 may be better, and will be PWM-free, but probably won't be released in N. America. The Samsung 24C750P could be decent, and check out some of the comments in this forum. I think one main issue may be the non-height adjustable stand for some ... it may sit too high for many. If you get it, try Best Buy or a place with easy returns. The Asus VS247H-P is a TN, which may be a downgrade for you. Unless it happens to be a LightBoost model, in which case you are trading away color accuracy/angles for motion.

Other things to consider:

One of the 27" 1080p IPS models. The pixels may be a bit blockier that you'd like, but you can't really get 1440p at your price range unless you go with a Korean model. And even then, it'll probably be closer to $400.

I've been recommending the NEC EA244WMi to people who want a 24" IPS 16:10, as there isn't a whole lot left in IPS at that size with a light coating. But it'll be closer to $370, and apparently is a pain to find in stock anywhere.

You could consider one of the 23" IPS models, like the Eizo 2333/2336 or that 23" semiglossy IPS Asus, but then it may feel like too big a downgrade to you as to size. The Eizos would be a bit over your pricerange too.

So afraid I don't have a great recommendation for you. You could try both a 27" 1080p IPS, and VA flavors, if you get them from places like Best Buy... and just return whichever you don't like. If you get a model with hdmi only, keep in mind you may need to use the graphics hack with the drivers to get proper blacks.

Back