Some strange OS behavior @ work today..

DVAmon

2[H]4U
Ok, this isn't so much as a question, but a WTF happened post.

I was @ work today, and I got a service call for an end-user complaining about her software locking up. This is the 3rd call in 2 days. Because I wasted so much time with it, I am now backed up well into Monday, not including the ones I will get then.

The first tech goes to her box (Win NT 4 Wkst. SP6) and proceeds to dump her IE offline content and clean out her TEMP folder, and I guess inadvertently hosed her favorites and her shortcuts...

The second tech goes up yesterday to fix that.

Today she can't access any of her programs (all custom software) and they basically crap out and the display gets distorted with the not responding blank program box.

So, I look at her machine. Like a good little tech boy, I find out she has a ton of scumware, spyware, and some malware. So, I do the dance; manually remove what I can from Add/Remove Programs, run AdAware, Spybot, and HijackThis. Now, I don't know how compatible/incompatible AdAware is with NT, as most of the end-user base has already been upgraded to 2k or XP, but after doing the scans and rebooting so the crap that is running can unload and AdAware can unregister it, she has a problem authenticating with the DC.

I check her IP settings, and as I had assumed she wasn't getting an IP addy from the DHCP server. Yup, no prob, do an IPCONFIG /renew, right? Nope, got an error, wtf that is, I dunno. So I check the service, it's set to automatic, and services.exe is running. I do a net start dhcp, and it fails with error 10038, and the event viewer has no error for it. MSKB says to rebuild the TCP/IP stack or the individual service. :mad:

I tried re-installing the DHCP service from scratch, and no dice. I then re-installed the TCP/IP stack altogether; still not working. As a last ditch effort, I undo the auto-quarantine on AdAware, and lo and behold she can now obtain an IP via DHCP, but now the services.exe terminates with a "can't reference memory error" on startup after winlogin promps for her password. I've wasted enough time with this, so I'm just going to re-image the machine on Monday with a custom build.

Anyone ever had any issues where the DHCP service becomes corrupt after removing spyware-marked registry keys, processes, or other files using AdAware?

The spyware installed LSP (layered service provider) . Essentially, it replaces the TCP/IP stack with one that intercepts data at a lower level for matketing purposes. When the adaware quarrantined the spyware, it recognized the LSP as part of the spyware, but failed to insert the real TCP/IP stack back. In the future, LSP explorer can help you find and remedy such problems.

yea. If spyware has changed the winsock or sometimes if people crank the settings on ad-aware it will remove the winsock registry key and that will cause your problem. I'd try the program the above poster suggested and if that doesnt work try reinstalling tcp/ip. One of the two should get it.

Back