• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Some SG01e questions (mostly aesthetics)...

stealth rhino

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
65
Hello to all!

I've been using laptops exclusively at home for years, I haven't had a desktop in a while (I put together my last system a few years back... pentium II at a blistering 333 Mhz if I remember correctly), and once in a while I'll pick up a PC mag to see what's going on.

Around November of last year, I saw an add for the original sg01. Since my current laptop has officially cycled out (no Oblivion... yet), I got the bug to put together a system again. I did some research, and some of the online reviews said to hold off until the Evolution came out.

Well, that time is here.

I do have a couple questions though:

1.) while not a fan of pinwheels and fireworks shooting out of my pc, I do appreciate side windows and discrete lighting. If I installed a window on each side just above and about the same length of the run of vents, would that create a problem with the structural integrity of the case? From what I read, the shell is already fairly flimsy.

2.) I have a set of Pioneer surround sound headphones that would be my primary audio (my wife doesn't appreciate loud games... go figure). Is the onboard audio good enough on the EVGA SLI? I'm leaning towards a smaller card such as this one which would restrict a little less air than a Creative XFi, and slightly cheaper. The problem is I would also like to install a Hauppage 150 card, and was planning on tucking that between the vidcards while showing off the outside vidcard.

3.) Has anyone had any experience with Max Orb LCD bays? I was thinking of getting one not only to control fans and monitor temps, but it would also liven up a pretty bland front panel.

4.) I know it's small, but I was also thinking about adding some case handles since I'd be moving it fairly often and sometimes get fumbleitis. Is the case rigid enough to handle them (either one handle lengthwise down the spine, or two on the top of the case in a "traditional" setup)?

Thanks for your time, and wish me luck...
 
1.) It might restrict the airflow but if done properly it shouldn't cause too big of a structural problem.

2.) The onboard sound is descent and works with the SG-01 headphone jack on the front, that would be a pain to hook up on the X-Fi. There is no way to have 2 PCI cards so I would probably go with the TV Tuner.

3.) I have the Matrix Orbital Single Bay LCD screen and its very nice I only use it as a screen though and not for the temperature and fan control.

4.) I would get the Velcro Case Grip instead of screwing something onto the case.
 
The only problem is that with one of the front bay LCD devices is that it takes up a internal USB port. I plan on putting a USB hub inside the computer so I can have all 4 front USB ports working.
 
you can use this TVtunercard; POWERCOLOR T55E-P03 TV tuner card PCIexpress x1 and still use the PCI sound card.
 
thanks again.

I'm leaning towards the Biostar or DFI and going with a single card for now, so I should be able to run both the audio card and hauppage tv card.

On a related note, I emailed Hank over at performance-pcs, and he said they would have a windowed sg01e up on the site sometime this weekend. I just don't trust my dremel skills enough to do it myself.
 
stealth rhino said:
I emailed Hank over at performance-pcs, and he said they would have a windowed sg01e up on the site sometime this weekend. I just don't trust my dremel skills enough to do it myself.

I think that is the best option. I wonder how this will affect the temps.
 
yeah, I'm anxious to see the placement of the windows. In passing, he said:

Hard part is the fan intake as it is so low in the case that the vent in the window has to be above that...or the window would crack.

...which leads me to beleive there will be a fan intake/outtake on at least one of the windows, or it is a full side window panel with vents drilled or cut out to feed the hd rack fan. From the looks of the sugo picture's I've seen, it doesn't look like there's an awful lot of room to place a 25mm deep fan on the side of the case (specifically the PSU side), so I'm guessing it's the latter.
 
I'm guessing that the difference between the SG01 and Evolution is that the E model uses all 80mm fans? Most places I see selling an SG01, like Frozencpu still list a 60mm fan model.
 
Xaeos said:
I'm guessing that the difference between the SG01 and Evolution is that the E model uses all 80mm fans? Most places I see selling an SG01, like Frozencpu still list a 60mm fan model.

Yep. Plus the placement of the rear fan is now at an angle between the top and rear sides of the case, as not to interfere with the card slots

edit: The listing on newegg has it as the first version, but the latest customer review for the black one says he received an Evolution model. Don't know if it was a mix up or if it's policy, but it's the cheapest online that I've found.
 
Thanks. I'm considering getting one today or tomorrow. Hey, did you decide on a power supply for it?

I'm wondering if I should buy a silverstone PS or something different. I don't think I want to spend PC P&C dollars on a SFF, but I'd like something good so I was leaning towards a Silverstone or OCZ.

About Matrix Orbital displays - I have a two bay, 4 line display in my (now dead) main rig. It has served me well with LCDC software.
 
I already have a Hiper type R (580 w) that I plan on using. The distinctive modular couplings it uses were a concern for me at first, but I measured and with my Lite On it should work. I've also seen pictures of an original SG01 build using the exact same PSU.

If I were to buy new, I think I'd go with the Enermax Liberty 620... everyone that has one raves about it, and it seems like it could fit into damn near anything.
 
Actually, I think I'm gonna go with a Qpack case and Foxxcon mobo now.

This will change by this afternoon.
 
Back
Top