• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Some questions regarding SSD

Hornet

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
6,624
Hi, this is my first time using SSD, I've read in the past about SSD life span, TRIM stuff, so I'm a little paranoid. Don't want to set it up wrongly and affect the lifespan :eek:

I bought a Intel 80GB X25M Gen 2

1. Which mode (AHCI or IDE) is better for my system with mixture of SSD and normal hard disk (WD Black and Green) ?

2. Upon finish installing Windows 7, what should I do for the SSD?
Is there any driver or software to enable TRIM (and other things that helps protect a SSD, if any) ? ... or are those feature embedded in the SSD controller itself.

3. Is there any auto defrag I should disable for the SSD?


Any other advices are welcome too.
Thanks a bunch ;)
 
Switch to ACHI mode, plug in the SSD, apply the latest firmware to it, Install Win 7....pick your jaw up after the first 5 minutes of using it. :)

TRIM is automatic on Windows 7, so there's not a whole lot you need to do. Disabling hibernation will save you some space (assuming this is a desktop, why would you need it on anyway?), and some people like changing their default locations for downloads and temp files to a non-ssd drive; but you should be fine without doing that unless you plan to be low on space.
 
install the Intell Toolbox tool as well and run that once a week

i bought the same one when it was on sale at newegg, it is amazingly fast, my CPU is currently bottlenecking it though, cant wait to run a quad core with it, currently using an AMD socket 939 +3800 single core haha

i never had to do the ACHI thing, unless it did it automatically, but so far i have NOT had any issues
 
install the Intell Toolbox tool as well and run that once a week

i bought the same one when it was on sale at newegg, it is amazingly fast, my CPU is currently bottlenecking it though, cant wait to run a quad core with it, currently using an AMD socket 939 +3800 single core haha

i never had to do the ACHI thing, unless it did it automatically, but so far i have NOT had any issues
Even without the special features AHCI gives you, most SSDs are so stupidly fast that most of the time you'll never notice the difference.
 
install the Intell Toolbox tool as well and run that once a week

As long as you're running Win7 with the correct drivers, there's no reason to run the trim tool in the intel toolbox. It certainly won't hurt anything though.
 
Also, DO NOT defrag your SSD - never! Its the worst thing you can do to your SSD; you better drop it on concrete than defragment it.
 
Alright, thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate them
 
Windows 7 automatically disables defrag for ssd's, and as far as I know it won't let you do it manually either.
 
45.9GB Free out of 68.5GB (I didn't utilize entire HD).
I have MS Office 2007 Standard installed, and a couple small other applications so far..
 
I'm in the same boat. Shouldn't he install the rapid storage manager driver (new name for intel matrix storage manager) for ahci?
 
hmm.. 68.5 weird.. is that number normal for a 80 gb drive?

mine is at 74.5gb. i guess you did something to reserve some nand chips

well.. im paranoid about writes but.. intel guarantees that your ssd will last 100gb writes a day for the next 5 years. so by the end of 5 years the price of ssd should be pretty low enough to grab another larger drive for around 100? probably slc ssds then =]
for now im trying to trying to move my temp folder to my other hdd and creating symbolic links for google chromes user data.

i also went through this guys.. guide
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/70822-ssd-tweaks-optimizations-windows-7-a.html
 
Wow, thanks for the link to that guide. I could use those step by step guide:p

I'm in the same boat. Shouldn't he install the rapid storage manager driver (new name for intel matrix storage manager) for ahci?
Hmm... Is it a driver for the motherboard chipset?

I'm using Gigabyte X58A UD7 motherboard. It came with a chipset INF installer. Should I install that said driver instead of Gigabyte INF driver?


Thanks again everyone ;)
 
It's 2 drivers, intel chipset for usb, etc.. and the new named rapid storage manager (which used to be called matrix storage manager) which is for using ahci mode and/or raid from what I understand. So I'm assuming their drivers are more optimized than the default win7 drivers? It does say version 9.6+ supports trim.
 
Last edited:
hmm.. 68.5 weird.. is that number normal for a 80 gb drive?

mine is at 74.5gb. i guess you did something to reserve some nand chips

well.. im paranoid about writes but.. intel guarantees that your ssd will last 100gb writes a day for the next 5 years. so by the end of 5 years the price of ssd should be pretty low enough to grab another larger drive for around 100? probably slc ssds then =]
for now im trying to trying to move my temp folder to my other hdd and creating symbolic links for google chromes user data.

i also went through this guys.. guide
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/70822-ssd-tweaks-optimizations-windows-7-a.html


Note what I said: (I didn't utilize entire HD).

I left some space :D

I can always allocate it if I want.
 
Back
Top