• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Some questions about the X-FI

Shadow27

Gawd
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
646
Hey, i'm contemplating buying a X-Fi Xtreme Music.
Can they output bit-perfect audio in music? What would you say they compare to music quality wise?
I'm thinking of either pairing it up with Alessandro MS-1's or Audio Technica ATH-AD700. Would the X-Fi be able to drive these un-amped?

I'm not only buying it for music, it will be used for games as well.

Thanks.
 
Not sure what you are asking???? are you wanting a comparison to a stereo receiver or some such?????

What are you outputting to???? phones or speakers????/

Sorry if these are stupid questions, just want to be clear with answers.
 
Shadow27 said:
Hey, i'm contemplating buying a X-Fi Xtreme Music.
Can they output bit-perfect audio in music? What would you say they compare to music quality wise?
I'm thinking of either pairing it up with Alessandro MS-1's or Audio Technica ATH-AD700. Would the X-Fi be able to drive these un-amped?

I'm not only buying it for music, it will be used for games as well.

Thanks.

I'm using a pair of MS-1s right now with my x-fi extrememusic and they are great unamped. I'm probably going to get an amp later on but you really dont need one.
 
To clear up what I was asking. I'm using MX5021 speakers. I am about to buy some headphones too.

I'm trying to see if this would be an improvement, music quality wise, over my AV-710. I want to buy a gaming soundcard, and if the X-Fi offers better music quality as well as being a great gaming card, then i'm sold. Otherwise i'm just going to keep my AV-710 and buy a second hand A2 ZS or something similar.
 
Yes, it outputs bit perfect. Yes it compares to high quality audio equipment.
 
Shadow27 said:
To clear up what I was asking. I'm using MX5021 speakers. I am about to buy some headphones too.

I'm trying to see if this would be an improvement, music quality wise, over my AV-710. I want to buy a gaming soundcard, and if the X-Fi offers better music quality as well as being a great gaming card, then i'm sold. Otherwise i'm just going to keep my AV-710 and buy a second hand A2 ZS or something similar.
You'll get better sound, esp since the AV-710 only has one good stereo output, and the rest is meh. With headphones you will prolly want a breakout box edition, so you get the dedicated port with autoswitching/muting.
 
WCES Ryan said:
Are X-fi's really that much better than onboard sound?

Yes. The difference in sound quality is immense, and the latency/cpu usage is much lower. You will need a decent speaker/amp setup to get the benefit though.
 
On a similar note: I'm currently running the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum -- would it be worth it to sell this card and step up to the X-Fi or are the differences negligible?
 
I am clear now, sorry if the questions were stupid. I think you'll really get a nice upgrade with the x-fi. I have the "music" version and notice a real difference in gaming and music. I use both sennheiser 550 headphones and a klipsch promedia ultra set-up.

To answer another post, I stepped up from an audigy 2 and I find a great deal of improvement in the sound quality.
 
WCES Ryan said:
Are X-fi's really that much better than onboard sound?
Considering that the Audigy 1, and Audigy 2 beat onboard sound, and that the X-Fi reportedly beats those cards easily, I'd say yes. :)

Only reason I decided against it was their jack setup (well, for the XtremeMusic version at least) is poorer than the Audigy2 or 2ZS. The ZS is good enough for what I use it for.
 
Thanks for the advice then -- looks like I may be ebayin' the ZS at some point in the near future for an upgrade. I just did the same thing with my vid card, motherboard and CPU in order to upgrade -- why shouldn't the sound card follow suit? :p
 
Back
Top