• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Some questions about EMU 0404

jaffy

[H] Custodian
2FA
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Messages
5,636
Hi, I've been considering upgrading my Chaintech AV710 to a EMU 0404. I also use a Audigy2 ZS for gaming. Does the EMU 0404 work well with an audigy2 ZS in the same system? I have heard of conflicts with older EMU cards. Also, are there any Linux (2.6.9 kernel) drivers for the 0404?
 
I'm guessing you're using it for stereo playback. Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I think you will hear from most people that the upgrade isn't worth it. The Chaintech's front L and R channels are of good quality, so very close to that of the E-Mu 0404 and 1212. The 1212Ms are a different story, but that's another price bracket.

Take a look at the Head-Fi forums, they should be able to have the answers you're looking for, and they could be a good second and third opinion with regards to your proposed upgrade.

Keep that in mind, and again, I apologize for not having the answers to your questions. Good luck.
 
xonik said:
I'm guessing you're using it for stereo playback.
Yeah, mainly for use with a pair of Sennheiser HD595s and an Audio Technica amp. I saw on head-fi that some people like the 0404 more than the 1212m, plus there is a $100 difference in price. My local Guitar Center has the 0404 for $99, 1212m for $199. I really dont need any recording features, but I want the best sound quality, with Linux compatable drivers if possible.
 
So you've ruled out keeping the AV-710s? Do they not have the Linux drivers you want?

Well I have heard that the AV-710s sound just as good as the 0404s, in stereo, mind you. It's so hard to buy something based on the mere opinions of others, but sometimes you just gotta do it. My take is that if there isn't a resounding "yes" that says the 0404 is a cut above the AV-710s, from a well experienced bunch like the Head-Fi forum, that extra $99 + tax is not money well spent.
 
There are built in kernel drivers for the AV710, nothing special but it works. I have seen some posts over at head-fi saying there is a night and day difference between the AV710 and any of the EMU cards, thats why I want to try one out. I did read up a bit more on having the 0404 and an A2ZS in the same system, and it seems they work well together if you install the Audigy drivers first, then the EMU and cancel any overwiting of files. I'll be getting a 0404 Saturday, unless anyone with experience with EMUs can persuede me to get a 1212M. :D
 
Night and day? I haven't heard that there.

I got a 1212M and love it, but I haven't heard the 0404s. They hadn't come out in my area when I bought my 1212M in August.
 
i too own a EMU 1212M which was an upgrade my old M-Audio Revolution 7.1 (similar chipset as the AV-710)
i haven't listened to the 0404 but people have said that it has a colored sound but the 1212m has a neutral/analytical sound.
as for either one working with an audigy 2, i haven't had any problems. so long as you install the emu card last you'll be alright. you also have to uninstall the emu card first because uninstalling the audigy 2 drivers screws up the emu drivers in the process.
 
The 0404 is supposed to have a more forward sound, but slightly lacks in detail when compared to the 1212. They are supposed to be a worthwhile upgrade from the AV-710.

This is just what I've read from head-fi. I plan on upgrading to an 0404 soon.
 
Well, I got an 0404 friday, but I have to wait for a cable. I didnt realize it has mono 1/4 connectors :p
Oh, and I'm getting a PPA along with the cable :p
 
Back
Top