Some of the first Broadwell-E Benchmarks

I'm really wondering the IPC and Overclock. I was trying to hold out for Skylake-E but I might bite the bullet if Broadwell-E makes a big enough splash

Bottom line for those with x99a boards have a hell of nice upgrade path as the years go by

I'm looking to upgrade from Z77 to X99. Should I go with 5820K and possibly get a deal on one since the Broadwell-E is coming next month?
Or should I just wait for Boradwell-E 6850K?
Anyone know for sure the price difference?
One other concern going 6850K - What if I purchase a new mobo that needs a bios update to support Broadwell-E? Would I be screwed then without a Haswell-E around to flash it?
thanks

I'm looking to upgrade from Z77 to X99. Should I go with 5820K and possibly get a deal on one since the Broadwell-E is coming next month?
Or should I just wait for Boradwell-E 6850K?
Anyone know for sure the price difference?
One other concern going 6850K - What if I purchase a new mobo that needs a bios update to support Broadwell-E? Would I be screwed then without a Haswell-E around to flash it?
thanks

I'd just wait until Broadwell-E releases and see how everything shakes out. I'm going with the 6800K if the rumors/leaks im reading come to be true.

I'd just wait until Broadwell-E releases and see how everything shakes out. I'm going with the 6800K if the rumors/leaks im reading come to be true.

Yeah, I meant 6800k not 6850K

Really wish I knew price difference between 5820K and 6800K.

So, if the release date is in June, does that mean retailers have it at release date or have to wait until a month later once retailers receive shipments?

I think I am going to wait and see how close the prices are between the 5820K and 6800K. Hopefully whatever board I purchase will support bios flash from USB without CPU if I go 6800k route. Either way, I am hoping for a decent bump all around coming from a 3770K.

Quick question - Besides EVGA and Gigabyte, are there any other mobo manufacturers releasing a X99 refresh with Broadwell-E release?

The interesting CPU here is the 10 core / 20 threaded processor. Well that depends on if you can use that many threads.

Uh, a CPU only upgrade for $1500? Those who want that probably already have the 8 core CPU. Probably not good for most games as they overclock less and most games can't use so many cores.
It just seems like an expensive toy. I like.
But I'd rather buy a professional drone with Fatshark googles for that money and have a lot more fun.

Uh, a CPU only upgrade for $1500? Those who want that probably already have the 8 core CPU. Probably not good for most games as they overclock less and most games can't use so many cores.
It just seems like an expensive toy. I like.
But I'd rather buy a professional drone with Fatshark googles for that money and have a lot more fun.

No doubt, but with DX12 there's some preliminary evidence that high core CPU's will really benefit. Now whether that extends all the way up to 10 cores is unknown...

Still for something like a 10 core at that price you're probably investing because of the benefits to video encoding and other utility stuff rather than gaming.

Still for something like a 10 core at that price you're probably investing because of the benefits to video encoding and other utility stuff rather than gaming.

My interest in the 10 core mainly programming for medical Imaging research. It will be a significant upgrade over the 6 core / 12 threaded processor I currently have.

Uh, a CPU only upgrade for $1500?

At $1500 this will be the most expensive CPU I have purchased at home ( a little more than the dual cpu setups in the 1990s). However I would expect that this one I would use for a much longer time period. I expect a decade of usage minimum.

Last edited:
Meh. Another 10% IPC gain. Looks like I'll be using my X79 setup for a while.

10% really isn't bad considering it is pretty much just a die shrink. Then figuring a clock-for-clock match up between Broadwell and Haswell, you should see less real world power consumption. It should ease the burden on cooling a tad, and possibly allow higher clocks.

But wouldn't you guys be better off buying one of the specialized CPU's for work instead of a $1500 i7?
Isn't this one worse than Xeon for work? And worse than 4/6 core for gaming? It's like a middle spot but quite expensive.

But wouldn't you guys be better off buying one of the specialized CPU's for work instead of a $1500 i7?
Isn't this one worse than Xeon for work? And worse than 4/6 core for gaming? It's like a middle spot but quite expensive.

I agree with you unless you want to OC for fun/hobby. Most Xeon are locked and at stock are lower clocks than enthusiast processors from what I understand? correct me if I am wrong.
Either way, it all boils down to what your intentions are for your build.

Now all we need is a decent 2011-v3 board. Seems like 50% of 'em have some major issues. Been reading reviews and forum threads for ages and have yet to find one I'd be comfortable dropping $300 on.

And worse than 4/6 core for gaming? It's like a middle spot but quite expensive.

For me gaming is probably the 3rd or 4th most important feature I need in a workstation. Although part of the consideration is that whatever CPU I purchase for the upgrade will have significantly greater single threaded performance than the i7 970 it replaces.

Seeing as we already know you'll still have to pay $1000 for the 8-core one and Broadwell is barely any different from Haswell in performance (and in desktop chips at least it even clocked worse) I don't know why anyone would be excited for Broadwell-E. Might as well by Haswell-E now while it's cheap.

Also, out of curiosity, what is it you guys are using these systems for at home that uses so many threads? 3D renders?

Seeing as we already know you'll still have to pay $1000 for the 8-core one and Broadwell is barely any different from Haswell in performance (and in desktop chips at least it even clocked worse) I don't know why anyone would be excited for Broadwell-E. Might as well by Haswell-E now while it's cheap.

Based on your logic - What was the price difference between 2600k and 3770K when the 3770K was released?
Was it pretty close in price?
And, did the 2600K get a decent drop after 3770K release?

With no benchmarks for the 6800K specifically yet for comparison to 5820K, I'm trying to determine timing to purchase best bang for buck CPU between the two.

Also, out of curiosity, what is it you guys are using these systems for at home that uses so many threads? 3D renders?

Very little risk in waiting to see how broadwell-e compares.

Now all we need is a decent 2011-v3 board. Seems like 50% of 'em have some major issues. Been reading reviews and forum threads for ages and have yet to find one I'd be comfortable dropping $300 on.

I've had the Rampage V Extreme since launch day and never had any real issues with it.

There were some normal teething things like my first attempt at getting Windows 8 (at that time) onto the M2 SSD and getting all 8 DIMM slots (64GB of ram) to be stable, but thats about it.

The board has been great. Of course it was 500 dollars and doesnt even have USB 3.1 :)

If you have a list of X99 boards with problems you would do many a service to list them here.

Joseph

If you have a list of X99 boards with problems you would do many a service to list them here.

Joseph
Lord...It's not like I've made a list, but look at the reviews for just about any of them on Amazon and Newegg. Yeah, I know that the review thing is heavily tilted towards the dissatisfied, but dead memory slots, instability, and uber-flaky USB 3 seem to be rampant.

Lord...It's not like I've made a list, but look at the reviews for just about any of them on Amazon and Newegg. Yeah, I know that the review thing is heavily tilted towards the dissatisfied, but dead memory slots, instability, and uber-flaky USB 3 seem to be rampant.

So if you had to pick one that is available today, which one would you pick?

AceDoWant.gif

Don't forget the refreshed boards. Jury is still out obviously, but I would assume they would start out better with past R&D on previous X99 boards. Just a tought.

I'd like to know too....Every board will have its issues. Some more than others.

Asus's refresh of their x99 Deluxe board looks good! x99 Deluxe II.

You have to assume the current X99 boards will drop some due to the refreshes coming as well. Sounds like a good time to go X99. Only problem is the wait until end of month....or even next month!

I've been meaning to take the plunge and get a x99 setup for my next build but now that they announced these new processors, I'm even more psyched.

Good question. Not sure I have a bulletproof answer, other than I love 'puters and technology, and like a lot of guys here, lust for the bestest and the fastest and the coolest.

As I have A 5960X 8-core, I'm kind of happy to see this is only an incremental upgrade at best, but its still a great time to modernize if you're using any Enthusiast branch prior to Haswell-E! Intel's holding their prices, given that it still costs $1000 to get an 8-core as it did last generation and the new 10-core has a huge premium of $1500; I'm in no hurry to upgrade for that kind of cost and I wonder when the Skylake-E or future kit will come out with 12+ cores on the higher end! As far as X99 is concerned, its still a fantastic chipset with only a few minor things that Z170 due to older X99 boards, like USB 3.1. However, high end X99 boards like the Rampage V Extreme have plenty of room for expansion, so you can pick up a PCI-E card to give you USB 3.1 ports (and hopefully soon, Thunderbolt 3) and still have plenty of lanes to spare, especially if you're using a proc that enables the full compliment of PCI-E lanes!

That is one thing in which I'm curious... what Broadwell-E procs have the full 40 (I think) PCi-E 3.0 lanes, and which offfer less?

I believe I read the 6800K will have 28 lanes and 6850K will have 40 lanes. Similar to the 5820K and 5930K.

my asrock x99 ws board has been great....and was only 300 or soemthing

I will be getting one of these for my main rig and putting my 5930k in the itx.

Back