Some Microsoft hardware is coming back

1_rick

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/5/2...partnership-keyboards-accessories-partnership
All of these existing Microsoft PC accessories will look and perform exactly like they did before. Incase is licensing the designs from Microsoft but neither party is willing to disclose the exact terms of the deal. Microsoft will still retain ownership of its designs, so it could potentially bring back classic mice or keyboards itself in the future, or continue to renew its license to Incase. It’s important to note that Incase isn’t getting licenses for all of Microsoft’s PC accessories.
Consumers will be able to purchase this same hardware in retail stores, and the main difference is that it will be branded differently and supported by Incase. Instead of a Microsoft logo on the top of a mouse or keyboard there will be an Incase one, with “designed by Microsoft” on the packaging.

Incase cut a deal with Microsoft to produce a bunch of hardware that Microsoft quit making. About 25 items in the initial run. They are hoping to have retail availability in Q2.

Some ergo keyboards, several mice, etc.

I always liked the Microsoft hardware stuff I bought over the years. From the old Sidewinder pads and gaming mice to a couple different keyboard models. For mesh keyboards, I think I'd take theirs vs. all the other major players.

Had a MS wireless laser mouse 7000 and Side winder joystick back in the day I never really used them.....

Good, because God Knows we could use a few more mouse and keyboard options.........finally............for once............

poo, no new intellimouse optical. would love an updated one that looks and feels just like the old ones but with better DPI.

Still have stock pile of them because its the only mouse I can use being lefty that fits my hand perfectly. think i've been using them since like 2001ish maybe?

I hope they'll make a modern keyboard with the shape that the Digital Media Pro and MultiMedia KB-0168 have. The shape of these, with the thicker bottom lip, works great for me when lounging back in my chair with my feet on my desk, and the keyboard sitting in my lap while playing a game. Normal-shape keyboards don't have that additional support and my wrist is cramped and stressed when I try to do the same with them. So, I don't like to use anything else, even if something else has nicer-feeling keys. The KB-1068 I had lasted me well over 15 years before falling apart, and its key presses felt pretty good to me. Then I got a NIB Digital Media Pro, on which the keys feel worse and it started getting worn within a couple of months of me starting to use it. But I'm still using that one. I've bought a barely-used KB-0168 to go back to after the Digital Media Pro either breaks or I just decide to switch it out.

A modern keyboard with this shape, with NKRO, would be great. I'd buy a few for posterity.

s-l1600.png

23-109-137-06.jpg

I still use MS keyboards as they are simply the most durable ones I've ever used. 35 years of wrenching on cars has made my hands a bit numb and callous but I can still feel the keys on MS keyboard and they don't wear out when I press the keys too hard so this is good news to me.

I hope they'll make a modern keyboard with the shape that the Digital Media Pro and MultiMedia KB-0168 have. The shape of these, with the thicker bottom lip, works great for me when lounging back in my chair with my feet on my desk, and the keyboard sitting in my lap while playing a game. Normal-shape keyboards don't have that additional support and my wrist is cramped and stressed when I try to do the same with them. So, I don't like to use anything else, even if something else has nicer-feeling keys. The KB-1068 I had lasted me well over 15 years before falling apart, and its key presses felt pretty good to me. Then I got a NIB Digital Media Pro, on which the keys feel worse and it started getting worn within a couple of months of me starting to use it. But I'm still using that one. I've bought a barely-used KB-0168 to go back to after the Digital Media Pro either breaks or I just decide to switch it out.

A modern keyboard with this shape, with NKRO, would be great. I'd buy a few for posterity.

View attachment 625182
23-109-137-06.jpg
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/k350-wave-ergonomic.920-001996.html

that KB is great for the money and pretty close to what you posted.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I still use MS keyboards as they are simply the most durable ones I've ever used. 35 years of wrenching on cars has made my hands a bit numb and callous but I can still feel the keys on MS keyboard and they don't wear out when I press the keys too hard so this is good news to me.
I got all excited & then saw it is wireless...

That looks more like my old fav - I think I had the comfort curve vs the split KB called the WAVE

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=comfort+curve+keyboard&i=electronics&crid=HZKH2VYSEQM8&sprefix=comfort+curve,electronics,108&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_13

FOUND IT - $225 wired KB!

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Comfort-Curve-Keyboard-2000/dp/B0009ZBRS0/ref=sr_1_4?crid=HZKH2VYSEQM8&keywords=comfort+curve+keyboard&s=electronics&sprefix=comfort+curve,electronics,108&sr=1-4&th=1
71bB89+6AqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Last time I found my favorite MS keyboards for sale was like 6 yrs ago so I bought 2 and I still have the second one in the box waiting for the first one to have an issue. Granted some of the keys no longer have their respective alpha numeric type visible as it has long ago worn away but the keys still work fine and likely will for several more years.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/k350-wave-ergonomic.920-001996.html

that KB is great for the money and pretty close to what you posted.
I actually have one of those, still basically unused. I got it to try after the spacebar on my original K-0168 finally collapsed and wouldn't spring up again, after over 15 years of use. The shape is nice, though the keypresses feel not that great, IMO, and I had issues with inputs lagging, and then sometimes a bunch of delayed button presses would register rapidly.

I find it odd that Logitech still manufactures that keyboard yet they haven't updated the keys on it, so it contains archaic, unusable buttons that were designed for Windows XP or Vista or something. They've been shipping them with inactive accessory buttons for ages. They should at least repurpose them.

Last time I found my favorite MS keyboards for sale was like 6 yrs ago so I bought 2 and I still have the second one in the box waiting for the first one to have an issue. Granted some of the keys no longer have their respective alpha numeric type visible as it has long ago worn away but the keys still work fine and likely will for several more years.
I use a pocket knife to scratch WASD + ER & C into the plastic & then hit it with a SILVER sharpie every few months.

I actually have one of those, still basically unused. I got it to try after the spacebar on my original K-0168 finally collapsed and wouldn't spring up again, after over 15 years of use. The shape is nice, though the keypresses feel not that great, IMO, and I had issues with inputs lagging, and then sometimes a bunch of delayed button presses would register rapidly.

I find it odd that Logitech still manufactures that keyboard yet they haven't updated the keys on it, so it contains archaic, unusable buttons that were designed for Windows XP or Vista or something. They've been shipping them with inactive accessory buttons for ages. They should at least repurpose them.
I pop keys & space bars off my KB's every few years & flip 'em over & tap the bread crumbs out.

I also use a q-tip soaked in 70% rubbing alcohol to remove any beer... I mean coffee residue under the keys.

Pretty easy to de-re-assemble.

I pop keys & space bars off my KB's every few years & flip 'em over & tap the bread crumbs out.

I also use a q-tip soaked in 70% rubbing alcohol to remove any beer... I mean coffee residue under the keys.

Pretty easy to de-re-assemble.
I'd also cleaned my K-0168 keys many times. The issue was that the clips that form the resistance mechanism that pushes the key back up finally broke from too much wear.

I enjoyed using these keyboards 20-25 years ago but those of you who still pine for them - have you tried a good mechanical keyboard with good keycaps? They make these old things feel like a cheap toy. You couldn't pay me to go back.

I enjoyed using these keyboards 20-25 years ago but those of you who still pine for them - have you tried a good mechanical keyboard with good keycaps? They make these old things feel like a cheap toy. You couldn't pay me to go back.
Yes I hate domes and other plasticy junk! Makes my fingers hurt!

I have an EVGA mechanical keyboard. I've tried a bunch of different mechanical keys and haven't found any that particularly feel better to me than the K-0168's... just different. But the main issue I have with my mechanical keyboard is the shape. Like I said in my first post, I prefer using the old keyboards with the shape that I showed, even if something else has nicer-feeling keys. The feel of the keys is secondary to me to the shape of the keyboard.

I still miss the original IBM AT keyboard (my first PC), and then the Northgate IBM-clone keyboards. Great switches. Now I'm rocking a dasKeyboard with audible Cherry switches. plus a dial and buttons to control speaker volume.

View attachment 625188

Remember these things lol I had like 2-3 of them used off ebay Quake and early MMO Keyboard.

I used that heyboard from 1998 until 2016, and only reason I stopped using it was my sick cat threw up a bunch of liquid on it and it was never the same again. I completely took it apart and cleaned it, but several keys never worked again and I ended up having to replace it with a corsair keyboard.

Hoping this will lead to my beloved Sidewinder mouse returning from the dead (not seeing it on their product splash page, but this being their 'initial run' gives me hope we'll see them at some point.)

Check Ebay for the comfort curve. I picked up a couple of them several years ago for like $20 per unit. They just had some company's branding on it with Microsoft in the right corner like normal. I've used that model for years along with that silver MS media one posted above. The key markings wear out pretty easily though.

Most ergo type keyboards these days are wireless which to me is pointless.

Back