Some Longhorn build 6.0.4051 Screenshots

dave326

Gawd
My buddy installed longhorn and took some screenshots. You guys have probably already seen this stuff, but I figured you might be interested.

And this is the latest build

logon.jpg

target_properties.jpg

target properties..that is pretty cool and I hadn't seen that before

http://james.luteck.com/all.zip

I fixed the links...some fucker wgetted ~60 gb from the other site so we had to shut it off.

(obviously now we redid .htaccess)

It's amazing how Micro$hit puts out these "new" OSes every 3 or 4 years and they expect everyone to upgrade, then when no one does- they stop supporting the old ones and stop upgrading it, to force everyone to upgrade who wants to use newer technology. Fuck micro$hit, and "Longhorn" just looks exactly like XP skinned.

~Adam

I have 4051 but it wouldnt install on my raid array :( so I didnt even bother with it

Originally posted by CleanSlate
It's amazing how Micro$hit puts out these "new" OSes every 3 or 4 years and they expect everyone to upgrade, then when no one does- they stop supporting the old ones and stop upgrading it, to force everyone to upgrade who wants to use newer technology. Fuck micro$hit, and "Longhorn" just looks exactly like XP skinned.

~Adam

Yeah...apparently the multi tasking for this one sucks too. The bulk of the upgrades seem to be on the interface...

of course no one knows how much of the guts they redid

Please do some research before you make such ignorant comments. Longhorn will be the most revolutionary Windows released since 3.1 or 9x. Why? It's new file system alone is enough to differentiate it from it's predecessors.

They are going to charge you ~200 bucks for your afamed new file system, when they could have just added it on to XP... Oh they are so great... Pfft. Microsoft is Capitalism at its worst, don't get me wrong I love capitalism, but exploiting their monopolized market is just utterly rediculous, and I wished they'd of gotten split up, years ago.

~Adam

cleanslate, flaming isint tollerated here so you may want to mind what you say. consider it a friendly warning ;)

longhorn is the biggest thing since 95. its very different, your also compairing xp sp1 to and ALPHA of longhorn, it will be very different once it hits beta3 when they add the 3d interface to it.

also, they couldnt just "add" a new file system to xp. the file system support is in the hive and kernal, which means it would been to be re-engineared to support the new file system.

Originally posted by CleanSlate

~Adam

Wow...chill out. I am assuming you are referring to 98? 98 SUCKS. It does not deserve to be supported. ME is garbage also. XP has been the OS of choice for over 2 years now and will continue to be so for at least another 2 years, as Longhorn is slated for release in 2006.

I think you are hating on a company that puts out several good, reliable, and very well supported products. :rolleyes:
I am not an MS fanboy - I run Linux on two of my computers, but my main gaming rig, my editing rig, and my brother's general usage computer all run XP.

I'm not flaming, these are valid opinions.

A big patch could allow an OS to use a new file system IMO.

98 wasn't crap in its time, but it is a good example of the non-"reliable, and blah blah blah" what ever you said, it had problems because of the unreliability and slowness of the OS, it was just not designed right.

I really do hope Longhorn will be worth-while, but a new file system and a new interface isn't really all that exciting.

~Adam

Everyone needs to chill out.

No flaming at all. I'm serious. Don't do it. If you feel the need to flame, then just get out.

Long horn will be good to go once it comes out

its just to premature of an os for it to be good right now....

and with whatever was said above about discontinuing support....

MS is stopping support of 98....

ITS FREAKIN 6 years old

in the computer world, that a long ass time

Isent longhorn supposed to have a supercustomizeable interface system, i though i heard it was based on XML? I really hope so, because i HATE THAT INTERFACE! its too big everywhere, I couldnet stand a rightclick context menu that big!

actually i read becuase too many ppl bitched about MS discontinuing support for 98 that they will continue to support it till 05.....:(

Originally posted by Morpheus256
actually i read becuase too many ppl bitched about MS discontinuing support for 98 that they will continue to support it till 05.....:(

Thanks for the info. I had heard they are going to extend it, but I hadn't seen any dates on it.

I don't like it. The interface at least. I know it's an alpha, but it just seems too dumbed down and stupid. It reminds me of those things that have a cell phone and a camera and an mp3 player and all that shit combined into one thing. Also, a new filesystem shouldn't have to wait for a new operating system. I guess it's like when fat32 was introduced in win95 osr2, which microsoft never sold to the public because at that time fat32 was only good when creating a new partition, which most windows users wouldn't understand or know how to do. I think I heard something about this new filesystem being like a relational database or some shit, so maybe there is a lot of auxillary stuff they have to do. All I know is I just have to recompile my kernel to add support for a new filesystem. And I can change window managers whenever I want without having to upgrade my operating system.

Yeah I agree with the previous post....

It does seem dumbed down a bit. Of course for 99% of people out that will use this version of windows, it fits perfect.

I hate the interface though....reminds me of some crappy program like EZ CD creator or some other junky software product that comes with retail computers.

Is there any difference between this and XP other than interface changes and WinFS? More driver support I bet....but at the root OS level, other than WinFS, what are the changes?

Whoever said something about a 3d windows system. Is microsoft grabbing all its ideas from other companies? The last i remembered, Sun was writing a Java 3d window manager.

I too would like to know what as been done to make Longhorn so much better, I know about Microsofts Security agreement so we should hope that Longhorn is more secure, hopefully even more stable (Mind you my WinXP Pro box is pritty damn stable) but all in all i would like to know more details. I have to agree with the user interferance being a bit dumbed down, but there should (and will) be a way of changing its looks.

Originally posted by Zwitterion
Whoever said something about a 3d windows system. Is microsoft grabbing all its ideas from other companies? The last i remembered, Sun was writing a Java 3d window manager.

I heard that Longhorn needs a Graphics Card (with decent enough specs)to run as the windows gui is being rendered using the GPU (as OSX is now) could someone confirm this? But a 3D window environment would be pritty nice ;)

Ill just get it cuz its a new os... new features and what not...

I will just run it in classic view ;) just like i do XP

Yeah I agree with the previous post....

It does seem dumbed down a bit. Of course for 99% of people out that will use this version of windows, it fits perfect.
Easy != dumbed down. It has (and will have) all the options and more of current Windows (including, quite probably, SFU installed standard), but easy enough for the regular joe to do everything he would need to. That is a Good Thing™.

It's great too see so many of you know what it takes to release a new OS or to introduce a new FileSystem.

Most of you wouldn't have a bloody clue what's involved (as I don't) yet you sit there telling us they don't need a new OS for it.

Not only that, but there are alot of other changes. Quit being so ingorant and go read up a bit.

Yeah, the file system planned needs far more than just some recompiling in the kernel. This isn't like some ext2/ext3/ReiserFS difference, here. I wish I had the link, but there was a half-hour video explaining some of what the new file system would incorporate, and it was truly fascinating. WinFS is going to do for files what individual applications can only kinda do now. It's not going to be like a jump from FAT32 to NTFS; it's gonna be more like a jump from FAT16 (or less) to NTFS in its current state. And the unfortunate thing is that these alpha builds have nothing like WinFS in it, and are basically the Longhorn components running over an existing XP framework, which is why it sometimes looks or feels just like XP. When the beta builds come out, things will probably be much different, even though I'm positive MS is going to aim for at least a little backwards familiarity.

Oh, and yes—a graphics card with at least 32MB of memory will be needed to run it. It's definitely GPU intensive. How much or how it's doing it I really don't know the particulars of (as they haven't really said much). I'm running it also, and it's pretty sweet. I can't wait to see what the beta will be like.

Originally posted by SKiTLz
It's great too see so many of you know what it takes to release a new OS or to introduce a new FileSystem.

Most of you wouldn't have a bloody clue what's involved (as I don't) yet you sit there telling us they don't need a new OS for it.

Not only that, but there are alot of other changes. Quit being so ingorant and go read up a bit.
I understand that operating systems are a big endeavor and a lot goes into them. However, microsoft is a company like any other and in order to continue making money they have to release a new product every once in a while. From what I've seen and heard about longhorn, nothing really seems to need a new operating system, and that they are just making a lot of interface changes and some other stuff in order to sell more software. What other changes are they making besides the interface, security, and file system? Is there some preliminary changelog somewhere I could take a look at?

God people. That more than likely isnt what longhorn will look like when finished. Hell xp had a COMPLETLY different look to it before it went beta.

If it requires a 32MB video card to run, then machines like HP, Dell will have to suppy a good video card to go with their machines. Onboard video won't cut it anymore.

Originally posted by GreNME
Have you bothered to look?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/
Eh, that seems like mainly a bunch of marketing shit and not much of a changelog. Although with an operating system in alpha stage I guess I shouldn't expect too much. Just about the only thing on that site that hasn't been mentioned here is a new programming model or interface or something. I'll look around that site a bit more though.

Read some more into it. If you're looking for an OSS-like changelog, you'll never find it, because (surprise, surprise) Windows is not Linux. Poke around on the site before you make hasty assumptions.

Originally posted by GreNME
Read some more into it. If you're looking for an OSS-like changelog, you'll never find it, because (surprise, surprise) Windows is not Linux. Poke around on the site before you make hasty assumptions.
Well of course windows is not linux; I never thought it was or expected it to be. I guess what I'm looking for is something more than just "Look at all this stuff we changed that doesn't really matter so that we could sell you a new operating system". In other words, what in longhorn would make ordinary windows users want to upgrade? For something that is "Beginning a technology wave..." I'm not seeing much. Is there anyone here who has actually used it and can provide some more insight(instead of just "read this website")?

Will you read the damn site, or what? There are loads of links throughout that site explaining different things, including many video presentations. There are newsgroups for searching through data people in development have already posted.

All you have to do is take the time to look for it. I'm not doing that part for you.

Originally posted by RazeDS
For those wondering about the new filesystem... it'll be similar to Storage for Linux.
Plus a whole lot more (more here). WinFS is aiming at being more involved than just a relational database-type file system, and much more than simple journaling. It's going to be integrating with the OS on every level, up to and inculding the apps that will run on it. That's why the system requirements are going to be higher, and why no one will even see the system until the SQL parts that are being updated are released this year (in the new SQL Server release). Only MS knows fully what it looks like, and even there, it's still in the hands of the developers.

Found two of them, and put them in the last post. ;)

Note: they were located on the msdn site. :)

The archive has plenty of good info.

Back